Author Topic: Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville  (Read 7303 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, the new book by Metro Jacksonville member Ken Bowen, chronicles Jacksonville’s unmatched gridiron fervor, from Florida’s first college football game held in the wake of the Great Fire of 1901, to the birth of the Florida-Georgia game and the Gator Bowl Classic, to the numerous professional teams from long-forgotten leagues that have called Jacksonville home, through the new era of Jaguars football currently underway. Years in the making with research drawn from thousands of sources and featuring an exclusive foreword written by Jaguars owner Shad Khan, Big League City! is the most in-depth book ever written on Jacksonville’s football history.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-jul-big-league-city-100-years-of-football-in-jacksonville

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
Re: Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
I'll will have to check this book out.  Jacksonville unquestionably has a bizarre football history.  I still have the exact Sharks pennant shown in the article, along with the one from the Express (the team that replaced the sharks in '75). I think I kept them for novelty since the both teams only last a year each.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
Damn man! I was quite the fan in the days of the WFL (Sharks and Express)  and USFL leagues, attending games from Orlando to Portland (where we predictably got stomped in what turned out to be the last game ever played in the WFL. These were the days before the internet, and I kept a scrapbook of virtually every news or magazine clipping, programs or press releases. It was freaking huge. When I finally gave up on the addiction and pretty much on Jacksonville ever becoming 'A Big League City,' around 1982, I gave the whole thing to a neighbor as I moved to Orlando. I do have a lot of fond fan memories of the games and still own a complete set of WFL team coasters for the coffee table. Great to see this book come out, I just wish now that I'd kept all of that cool stuff as it should have been in our historical society... but who knew?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
I was privileged to read some of the early drafts of this book while Ken was writing it. This is easily the best work available for one of the most distinctive features of Jacksonville history - our long relationship with the game of football. Plus some nice quotes from my old man. Excellent work by one of the Metro Jacksonville regulars.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »
I was in the Gator Bowl the night Jacksonville caught Colt Fever and Bob Irsay and Jake Godbold landed on the field in a helicopter.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

duvaldude08

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
I was privileged to read some of the early drafts of this book while Ken was writing it. This is easily the best work available for one of the most distinctive features of Jacksonville history - our long relationship with the game of football. Plus some nice quotes from my old man. Excellent work by one of the Metro Jacksonville regulars.

I read some drafts also. They are actually still in my inbox and Ive read them several times LOL Great work Ken! Im definately getting the book
Jaguars 2.0

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
I can't wait to read this.  I loved the 2004 Publix-sponsored "Jacksonville Football History" book that was done for the 10th anniversary of the Jaguars and the pending Super Bowl, but this sounds much more comprehensive!
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

KenFSU

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
Thanks guys, very much appreciated. Really enjoyed putting this book together over the last two and a half years, and I hope you all get a chance to check it out :D

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
Nice to put a face with the name as well.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

civil42806

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 05:02:11 PM »
Ordered my copy today

Rynjny

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »
just ordered me a copy today!

Editor99

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
".. the team was annexed from the league. "

There is no definition of the word "annexed" that makes that sentence grammatically correct.

Also, Kansas City Chiefs, not Kansas City Chief's. You don't make a plural with an apostrophe, or a possessive with one before the s.

KenFSU

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Ordered my copy today

just ordered me a copy today!

Thanks so much guys, much appreciated.

".. the team was annexed from the league. "

There is no definition of the word "annexed" that makes that sentence grammatically correct.

Also, Kansas City Chiefs, not Kansas City Chief's. You don't make a plural with an apostrophe, or a possessive with one before the s.

Good catch.

I've ordered a recall on the book.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
Touché! x1000

Redbaron616

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
Nothing at all against football. Against millionaires showing up with a sports team and  sticking the taxpayers with a fat bill while the millionaire get the profits. Worst, many taxpayers don't seem to mind. Get your priorities straight, folks.