Author Topic: Updated Program to Repair Downtown  (Read 1729 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Updated Program to Repair Downtown
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Updated Program to Repair Downtown

Say good-bye to Downtown Vision, Inc. and Downtown Investment Authority. Up the budget of the parks department to maintain urban parks. 12 not so hard ways to fix downtown.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-jul-updated-program-to-repair-downtown

Noone

Re: Updated Program to Repair Downtown
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:27:38 AM »
Good stuff.
Planning a RICO paddle Downtown.
I'm All In.
2014-305 Active legislation.
A new Authority
Embrace It
Or
It will Embrace Us
I am Downtown and why you aren't

sheclown

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
Seem like easy fixes for the most part.

Regarding the CDBG funding -- ensure that the money is spent in the urban core on projects conceived by the stakeholders and residents of that area  -- instead of having it used as financial leverage for political gain in parts of the city well equipped to meet their own needs.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
Excuse my ignorance - but why make some bi-directional? Does it promote more walk-ability? Or is it just easier to drive around in? I never have problems getting around downtown but I know which roads are 1-way, etc. I'm not for or against this, I just don't see what this brings, but I might be dense on the subject.

Also:
6. Reconnect downtown to Brooklyn, Springfield, Sugar Hill, Eastside, Riverside and Durkeevile.

How? Do you mean streetcar, or in the case of at least springfield, move I-95? (which of course will never happen, and isn't quick/cheap).
Jags season ticket holder.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
I wouldn't call these particularly easy. I'd also like to see some elaboration on a couple (number 3 in particular).

John P

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
NYC is just now looking to make free wifi hot spots all around the city where phone booths used to be:
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/2/new-york-city-callsforcitywidepublicwifi.html

It would be the first large US city to do it.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
Excuse my ignorance - but why make some bi-directional? Does it promote more walk-ability? Or is it just easier to drive around in? I never have problems getting around downtown but I know which roads are 1-way, etc. I'm not for or against this, I just don't see what this brings, but I might be dense on the subject.

Yep. One-ways encourage higher vehicular speeds, endangering pedestrians and bicycles. Two-way streets are an inherent traffic calming technique. Also, it helps businesses on the street to have traffic traveling in both directions in front of their storefront.