Author Topic: Rebirth of Baymeadows' Western Way  (Read 3916 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Rebirth of Baymeadows' Western Way
« on: July 02, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Rebirth of Baymeadows' Western Way

Although the area surrounding Western Way and Baymeadows has been in decline for the past few years, a number of new businesses have moved in within the last 12 months. Combined with tentative development plans that could significantly change life around Western Way, it seems as if new opportunities are beginning to emerge for business owners and residents alike.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-jul-rebirth-of-baymeadows-western-way

IrvAdams

Re: Rebirth of Baymeadows' Western Way
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
This is a relatively dense, above-average income area whose time has come again. It's good to see industry and home builders rediscovering it.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

duvaldude08

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:40 AM »
This area of baymeadows just had an unforante string of events happen that were out their control. For example, Citi and BCBSFL stop leasing space. IT wasnt due to the area, but because Citi built their own building, and once BCBS finish their addtional buildings out gate parkway, they moved out as well. This area will come back to life.
Jaguars 2.0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »
It's fine now. It's probably had more business openings over the last year than downtown has. The DR Horton project, alone, has more residential units than 220 Riverside and Brooklyn Riverside combined. However, traffic will be a complete mess if places like Freedom Commerce Center continue to land new companies. Hopefully, JTA will be prepared to offer reliable multi modal alternatives.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:38:08 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
I was coming back in to town late last night, northbound 95 and I saw the jtech sign at night - looks awesome! I would've taken (tooken?) pictures but, 70mph and smart phones don't mix :)

Next time you're headed up the big road check it out, looks pretty good!
Jags season ticket holder.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »
 Be great if we had a city council person that would push for a cooperative project with DR Horton, Parks Dept, COJ, FDOT etc and get a multi use path requirement including a I-95 overpass (see Lake Mary, FL I-4). If you draw a line from the power line easement running from the end of Southbrook Drive to roughly the Southpointe Community Church as a starting place, then run southward from the center, M/L along Pottsburg Creek southward through that forest over I-95 and coming ending at Bay Meadows Way, you'd have a hell of a start on a future path to A. C. Skinner and perhaps on to Beach Blvd area in the future. Much of this could probably be done as a boardwalk, or elevated in precast concrete sections. Clear the creek for Noone's Kayak and my Canoe, and this would REALLY jump out as a 'go-to' place in Jacksonville.

shel777

• I *love* old buses, trolley cars, subways!
    • WRKO, the Big 68 Remembered
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
D.R. Horton is known for decent-looking, yet small cracker box houses,  jammed into just about every inch of land possible.  There simply is no room for 630+ homes, and no way they can make money on them, unless they sell the on the cheap, and you know what that leads to.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
D.R. Horton is known for decent-looking, yet small cracker box houses,  jammed into just about every inch of land possible.  There simply is no room for 630+ homes, and no way they can make money on them, unless they sell the on the cheap, and you know what that leads to.

What does that lead to?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 06:06:08 PM »

what does that lead to?  working class families able to buy homes and improve their lives?

mtraininjax

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 12:57:10 AM »
This area of baymeadows just had an unforante string of events happen that were out their control. For example, Citi and BCBSFL stop leasing space. IT wasnt due to the area, but because Citi built their own building, and once BCBS finish their addtional buildings out gate parkway, they moved out as well. This area will come back to life.

Why will it come back to life? Besides the old Baymeadows Golf & CC, its all built out, why would any busienss move there, unless given rediculous incentives? Southside fighting downtown all over again. With Bartram Springs and Bartram Park looking to ramp up with 9B coming on line, look for that area to really jump in commercial and residential. Baymeadows and Western Way will go the way of Emerson and Phillips, nice, but not enough.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field