Author Topic: Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship This Saturday  (Read 2656 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship This Saturday
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:30:02 AM »
Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship This Saturday

Initially launched through Metro Jacksonville in 2012, the 3rd Annual Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship to support a local charity, will be held downtown this Saturday.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-may-jax-truckies-food-truck-championship-this-saturday

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship This Saturday
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
Weather should be awesome tomorrow, you should definately take advantage of this. The money raised tomorrow will go to Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
Great event! There's so many food trucks now, think I've lost count.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »
Well over 9,000 people showed up Saturday based on ticket counts (no BS inflated numbers).

Downtown was humming...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »
It certainly was a great turn out... so great the lines were looooong.  Bought some raffle tix then went to Fion MacCools for Happy hour...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »
then went to Fion MacCools for Happy hour

That's always the plan for these events... generating additional foot traffic for downtown businesses!

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
The lesson with these events is always come early.  That said, with the exception of two trucks, I thought the lines were very manageable this year. 

As for spillover, the Landing restaurants seemed to do ok...and by 8:30pm, the courtyard was packed.

Great job by Mike Field and team!

Bativac

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
I was downtown Saturday night and it was a mess. The city does not have any idea how to control traffic flow, and for some reason both the Acosta and Main St bridges were closed.

The event I'm sure went fine, but boy I wish there was somebody high up who knew something about controlling traffic.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
I'm sure the establishment did not anticipate 9,000 people showing up for a food truck rally. Also, I don't believe there is a traffic engineer, on staff at COJ. That position was eliminated a few years back.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
^ actually it was the Main St and Hart bridges that were closed...and you can blame FDOT for that...although if someone was watching things at the City they could have communicated to FDOT that closing two bridges with tons of things happening downtown probably wasn't a smart idea.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »
So between the Food Trucks, the Rookie practice for the Jags and Eco Fest (don't have any numbers on that), I would say there were quite a few thousand people downtown for no other reason than.... well.....  things going on downtown?

I'd say it sounds like a pretty awesome weekend. 

But unlike you suckers, some of us were lucky enough to get to work all weekend....  oh.... wait a sec.....
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

johncb

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
It was hellishly crowded but great fun!