Author Topic: Soccer Thread  (Read 119544 times)

JaxJersey-licious

Re: Soccer Thread
« Reply #480 on: August 03, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
In the run up to the race for promotion I found this article very interesting concerning the benefits of getting into the top flight. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/brentford-earn-200m-promoted-premier-league-72143224

Holy shit if that isn't incentive for Brentford to get promoted! Compare that to the comps they got when they were last promoted before the days of television. And those parachute payments are not too shabby either. It's like they were going after an American CEO compensation package model, or vice versa.

While at it, I'm curious of what Brentford London is like since I've never heard of it before.  Is it like Slough from The Office? 

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
In the run up to the race for promotion I found this article very interesting concerning the benefits of getting into the top flight. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/brentford-earn-200m-promoted-premier-league-72143224

Holy shit if that isn't incentive for Brentford to get promoted! Compare that to the comps they got when they were last promoted before the days of television. And those parachute payments are not too shabby either. It's like they were going after an American CEO compensation package model, or vice versa.

While at it, I'm curious of what Brentford London is like since I've never heard of it before.  Is it like Slough from The Office?

Brentford is actually not bad. It seems very characterless to me - sort of a nowhere place between Ealing and Richmond.

At least it's not Slough. And although it's in the farther western reaches of Greater London, it's still in London, unlike Slough. I've only been to Slough once - it wasn't terrible - I've seen worse - but it's not somewhere I'd want to live. And my standards aren't very high - I live in Hornchurch, after all.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2020, 10:57:14 PM »
Thanks for clarifying and I figured the comparison to Slough may be unfair but thats the only frame of reference I could think of (now I can't get the song "Eton Rifles" by the Jam out of my head  ;D)

How amazing and frustrating for Brentford fans to have this moment with so much at stake and not being able to cheer them on at Wembley. So looking forward to the match tomorrow.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #483 on: August 04, 2020, 06:05:26 PM »
So Fulham did it and have been promoted. Exciting match. So bonuses and jewelry from Shad for their efforts? Well earned extra time win.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #484 on: August 04, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »
So Fulham did it and have been promoted. Exciting match. So bonuses and jewelry from Shad for their efforts? Well earned extra time win.

I didn't see the match - no way was I going to pay for it. I wish Brentford would've won, but when I think about it, it really makes no difference to me!

JaxAvondale

« Reply #485 on: August 04, 2020, 09:02:43 PM »

Brentford is actually not bad. It seems very characterless to me - sort of a nowhere place between Ealing and Richmond.

At least it's not Slough. And although it's in the farther western reaches of Greater London, it's still in London, unlike Slough. I've only been to Slough once - it wasn't terrible - I've seen worse - but it's not somewhere I'd want to live. And my standards aren't very high - I live in Hornchurch, after all.

About 10 years ago (before the Olympics), my buddy and I was going to a West Ham match and we didn't know that they were working on the Central Line to get the area around Stratford completed before the games. On our way back, we got on a District line train and ended up going in the wrong direction (East). I believe we got off near Hornchurch to catch the train going back West. All that I can remember was how different the area looked as compared to the area around Stratford bus station which wasn't that far away.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:35:15 PM by JaxAvondale »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2020, 05:26:30 AM »

About 10 years ago (before the Olympics), my buddy and I was going to a West Ham match and we didn't know that they were working on the Central Line to get the area around Stratford completed before the games. On our way back, we got on a District line train and ended up going in the wrong direction (East). I believe we got off near Hornchurch to catch the train going back West. All that I can remember was how different the area looked as compared to the area around Stratford bus station which wasn't that far away.

Yeah, it's very suburban. Nothing much to recommend it, other than being about 45 minutes or so from Central London on the Underground. Unless, of course, you consider living a short bus ride from Romford as something worth recommending!

Our local club is Hornchurch FC. They play in the Isthmian League Premier Division (the seventh level of the pyramid), alongside such titans of football as Bognor Regis Town and East Thurrock United. The most popular Premier League side is West Ham, as Upton Park was only about 20 minutes away by train (and a lot of the local population moved here from Newham over the preceding decades to escape the influx of scary brown people into Newham).

Although not really that far away as the crow flies, I ultimately decided against buying season tickets to Spurs (when, after 12 years, I finally got a chance) because it would take me about 1.5 hours just to get to the stadium (and likely longer on a match day). Well, the cost of the ticket and the time were the main factors. The resultant football has made me think I made a good choice.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »
I remember the first time in that area and I saw someone wearing a FAMU sweatshirt. Now, that area is completely gentrified.

On my trips to London, I normally stay in the Bayswater area. So, I get on the Central line at Queensway and ride it to Stratford for matches.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #488 on: August 06, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
I remember the first time in that area and I saw someone wearing a FAMU sweatshirt. Now, that area is completely gentrified.

On my trips to London, I normally stay in the Bayswater area. So, I get on the Central line at Queensway and ride it to Stratford for matches.

I remember seeing lots of people wearing Franklin & Marshall College sweatshirts when I moved here. It seemed really odd, as the college is fairly small (or at least I thought it was). Turns out some company basically stole the name and were selling the shirts as a fashion thing - I guess the collegiate look was really popular.