Author Topic: Soccer Thread  (Read 88980 times)

TimmyB

• T
Re: Soccer Thread
« Reply #435 on: May 26, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
Yay Fulham! Go Cottagers!

Cue all the Shahid Khan worshipers citing this as an example of his skillz

Well, one could commend Shad's son, Tony, for the success. He is the Director of Football Operations for Fulham and the Head of Analytics for the Jaguars, and in both cases supposedly has tremendous influence on the scouting and player management. The Jaguars brass appears old-school in approach, but they incorporate analytics, at least to some degree, into much of what they do.

Was he "Director of Football Operations" (whatever that means) when Shahid got the club relegated out of the Premier League and almost relegated from the Championship?  ;D

I'd have liked to see Villa promoted, but it's no biggie one way or the other to me. The upside is possibly being able to go see Spurs play at Craven Cottage next season. No atmosphere, but easy to get a ticket.

That's ironic.  A fan of Spurs talking about someplace else having no atmosphere?   ;D ;D ;D

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #436 on: May 26, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
Yay Fulham! Go Cottagers!

Cue all the Shahid Khan worshipers citing this as an example of his skillz

Well, one could commend Shad's son, Tony, for the success. He is the Director of Football Operations for Fulham and the Head of Analytics for the Jaguars, and in both cases supposedly has tremendous influence on the scouting and player management. The Jaguars brass appears old-school in approach, but they incorporate analytics, at least to some degree, into much of what they do.

Was he "Director of Football Operations" (whatever that means) when Shahid got the club relegated out of the Premier League and almost relegated from the Championship?  ;D

I'd have liked to see Villa promoted, but it's no biggie one way or the other to me. The upside is possibly being able to go see Spurs play at Craven Cottage next season. No atmosphere, but easy to get a ticket.

That's ironic.  A fan of Spurs talking about someplace else having no atmosphere?   ;D ;D ;D

I beg your pardon, but WHL probably has (or had) the best atmosphere of any of the 'top' clubs' grounds - except maybe the Etihad.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »

I beg your pardon, but WHL probably has (or had) the best atmosphere of any of the 'top' clubs' grounds - except maybe the Etihad.

That was my point entirely.  They aren't playing there, any more.  Wembley hasn't exactly stricken fear in anyone playing there, at least not from the "atmosphere" standpoint.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

Nope. He began building the analytics dept in mid-2015 and you could almost see it as the rock bottom for Fulham. He became Director of Football Operations in 2017.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #439 on: May 27, 2018, 03:09:46 AM »

That was my point entirely.  They aren't playing there, any more.  Wembley hasn't exactly stricken fear in anyone playing there, at least not from the "atmosphere" standpoint.

Apparently, Wembley ranked fifth (and best of the 'big' clubs).

Adam White

• Facebook

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #441 on: November 14, 2018, 07:46:31 AM »
Looks like Shahid Khan's Fulham FC have sacked their manager and appointed PL title-winner Claudio Ranieri. That's six managers in five years. Coupled with the fact that Fulham currently sit dead last (with one win, two draws and nine losses), in spite of spending about £100 million in the summer transfer window (third only to Chelsea and Liverpool), things aren't looking too rosy for the club these days.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/slavisa-jokanovic-sacked-fulham-appoint-091826413.html

pierre

« Reply #442 on: November 14, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
Fulham is in some serious trouble. Last week they lost to Huddersfield, the previous worst (and winless) team in the league.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #443 on: November 14, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Fulham is in some serious trouble. Last week they lost to Huddersfield, the previous worst (and winless) team in the league.

They're en route to being the next Derby.

Apparently Arsene Wenger turned Khan down and that's why they went for Ranieri.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #444 on: November 14, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
Also: for those of you who believe everything Shahid Khan says about his intentions, consider what Khan said a few weeks ago:

“As for the sensational and fictional headlines related to Slavisa this week, I’m equal parts amused, astonished and disappointed. I ask you not to believe everything you read. Or, in this case, don’t believe anything you read.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-s-shahid-khan-slams-sensational-fictional-headlines-that-slavisa-jokanovic-is-close-to-being-a3971676.html

JaxAvondale

« Reply #445 on: November 14, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
Fulham is in trouble but hopefully they can turn things around. Relegation would be a huge setback.

pierre

« Reply #446 on: November 14, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
Also: for those of you who believe everything Shahid Khan says about his intentions, consider what Khan said a few weeks ago:

“As for the sensational and fictional headlines related to Slavisa this week, I’m equal parts amused, astonished and disappointed. I ask you not to believe everything you read. Or, in this case, don’t believe anything you read.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-s-shahid-khan-slams-sensational-fictional-headlines-that-slavisa-jokanovic-is-close-to-being-a3971676.html

Because similar are not said all the time in every sports league in the world?

It's called a "dreaded vote of confidence" for a reason.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #447 on: November 14, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »

Because similar are not said all the time in every sports league in the world?

It's called a "dreaded vote of confidence" for a reason.

My point really is that some people seem to think that Shahid Khan isn't planning on moving the Jaguars to London (or elsewhere) because he says he isn't. I don't know if he is or isn't. But it's foolish to put too much stock in anything he says.

I-10east

« Reply #448 on: November 14, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »
^^^It's also foolish for Jags fans to be on pins and needles all because of some dumb fixation that it's "only a matter of time" that the Jags are gonna leave Duval for the big bad wolf London, just because it's a world class city.

If you "don't know if Khan is or isn't leaving Jax" then why keep bringing it up (even on a soccer thread nevertheless)? A soccer player leaving Fulham automatically equates with some supposed 'uncertainty" with the Jags in Jax, okay...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #449 on: November 15, 2018, 03:51:08 AM »
^^^It's also foolish for Jags fans to be on pins and needles all because of some dumb fixation that it's "only a matter of time" that the Jags are gonna leave Duval for the big bad wolf London, just because it's a world class city.

If you "don't know if Khan is or isn't leaving Jax" then why keep bringing it up (even on a soccer thread nevertheless)? A soccer player leaving Fulham automatically equates with some supposed 'uncertainty" with the Jags in Jax, okay...

No, the Manager (iow, head coach) of Fulham being sacked by Khan a couple of weeks after he explicitly stated that he wasn't going to fire the guy is evidence that you can't or shouldn't believe everything Khan says.

Plus, he's a douche with a ponytail. That's reason enough to assume he's full of shit.