Author Topic: Video: Reliving the Roosevelt Hotel Fire of 1963  (Read 1759 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Video: Reliving the Roosevelt Hotel Fire of 1963
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Video: Reliving the Roosevelt Hotel Fire of 1966

This Jacksonville Fire Fighter's video captures rare footage of the city's deadliest day, December 29th, 1963. The day of the Roosevelt Hotel (now, The Carling) Fire in Downtown Jacksonville which claimed the life of JFD Chief James Romedy. While 21 people died, the Jacksonville Fire Department saved 475 people.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-mar-video-reliving-the-roosevelt-hotel-fire-of-1966
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:59:19 PM by thelakelander »

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Video: Reliving the Roosevelt Hotel Fire of 1966
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »
I was about to comment about this line in the article:
"the city's deadliest day"
Because I thought the great fire would have claimed more lives, turns out the great fire costed 7 lives.
Very interesting!
Jags season ticket holder.

IrvAdams

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »
According to accounts I've read on the Great Fire, the injury and death toll is in question. Records were much less accurate back then - people moved around and settled without much tracing and paperwork.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
 Here is a link to the Jax fire museum photo collection...

http://www.jacksonvillefiremuseum.com/Roosevelt_1.html
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."