Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Nassau, Bahamas  (Read 2309 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Nassau, Bahamas
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Nassau, Bahamas

Metro Jacksonville goes 200 miles off the coast of Florida to explore the downtown of the largest city in the Bahamas: Nassau.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-mar-elements-of-urbanism-nassau-bahamas
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:18:20 AM by thelakelander »

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Elements of Urbanism: Nassau, Bahamas
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
Great vacation if you haven't been before. I have some friends in Miami that make some good conch. That hotel is amazing.

spuwho

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
Sounds like a fun cruise. What elements of urbanism were you trying to expose in the article? 

Beyond the cruise port district Nassau seems to be a sea of unzoned chaos with people pretty much rolling their own as they see fit.

Urbanism as it works for tourists? Urbanism as it works for the locals? Urbanism as they approach it?

Just curious what parts of urbanism you were  working to reference.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
No lessons. Just sharing street level imagery of a walkable city not too far off the coast of Florida.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
I was only in Nassau for 24 hours but I did get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly.  One thing that stood out to me was the benefit of having a cruise terminal in an urban environment. The retail along Bay Street and the restaurant/bars in the vicinity are definitely being feed by millions of tourist a year, considering the city's size.  Nevertheless, I also noticed a ton of abandonment and underutilized areas between downtown and the bridge to Paradise Island (Atlantis).  However, the potential it has that Jax does not is that there is a dedicated follow of tourism money coming in on a daily basis.  Better catering to that population should lead to further redevelopment of that city's urban core.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »
I was only in Nassau for 24 hours but I did get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly.  One thing that stood out to me was the benefit of having a cruise terminal in an urban environment. The retail along Bay Street and the restaurant/bars in the vicinity are definitely being feed by millions of tourist a year, considering the city's size.  Nevertheless, I also noticed a ton of abandonment and underutilized areas between downtown and the bridge to Paradise Island (Atlantis).  However, the potential it has that Jax does not is that there is a dedicated follow of tourism money coming in on a daily basis.  Better catering to that population should lead to further redevelopment of that city's urban core.

I too have driven through that land of abandonment between the port and Atlantis.