Author Topic: First Coast Flyer Bus Rapid Transit Receives Funding  (Read 4664 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
First Coast Flyer Bus Rapid Transit Receives Funding
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »
First Coast Flyer Bus Rapid Transit Receives Funding

The Jacksonville Transportation Authority's long proposed Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system has been awarded $38 million in federal funding to begin construction.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-mar-first-coast-flyer-bus-rapid-transit-receives-funding

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: First Coast Flyer Bus Rapid Transit Receives Funding
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
The blue line running from I-295, in the Northside, to Avenues Mall is fully funded now. The downtown portion of this corridor  will be under construction this Summer.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
So now that this portion is officially 'funded' and, as has been repeated here ad infinitem, it runs parallel to existing rail infrastructure, does this mean that commuter rail on that alignment is all but dead?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
I believe it means substandard service for decades.
Lenny Smash

KenFSU

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
What's the estimated completion date for the north and southeast corridors?

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
I see there is a new name for what was formerly known as MAX

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
So now that this portion is officially 'funded' and, as has been repeated here ad infinitem, it runs parallel to existing rail infrastructure, does this mean that commuter rail on that alignment is all but dead?

1. there is no commuter rail along the north part of the corridor
2. JTA is continuing to study commuter rail along US 1...with consultation and involvement from FTA
3. they had been approved for funding from FTA previously, but did not receive final budget approval until now

pierre

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
What is that logo? A fish with wings?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
LOL, it appears to be just that!

I'd seriously be surprised if commuter rail on that corridor happens this decade.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »
I believe rail on the SW 'A' line corridor is much superior anyway, better to start with a stronger candidate.

The flying fish is actually refreshing, to my mind we've had WAY too many mysterious and unidentifiable 'CSX' 'MAX' etc type systems. Like it or not 'First Coast Flyer' with a flying fish pretty much nails us. Flying fish being native to tropical and sub-tropical waters as it were. It has color, speed and form.

It would be nice if this was BRT!!! 

tufsu1

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
I believe rail on the SW 'A' line corridor is much superior anyway, better to start with a stronger candidate.

except that CSX didn't show any interest...and FEC did....the JTA team evaluated both and the SE line came up as more feasible in the short term

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
I'd wager that my contention that the SE corridor is 'invisible' and the SW is not + a huge employment engine at NAS JAX will more then compensate for JTA/FDOT's studies when the numbers are revealed.

Add that in time, the State is probably going to end up owning the entire 'A' line from Jacksonville Terminal to Tampa Union Station (if not St. Pete itself) and you get a whole shelf of possibilities for passenger service. Depending on 'Who's on First' in Tallahassee it is probably just a matter of time until we see our own version of 'Cal-Train,' 'NCDOT Amtrak' or 'Amtrak California,' right here in our back yard. The trouble I see is that Jacksonville is worse then the proverbial sleeping giant, Jacksonville is comatose. The hub, the maintenance facilities and the key to the system will end up in Orlando and we'll end up at the end of the lightest density extension.

That said there is also a huge opportunity for such a system to pick up the old Seaboard-Cross-Florida-Shortline running from Tampa to Bartow to West Lake Wales where it connected with the mainline through Sebring to West Palm Beach and Miami. It is missing the track on the eastern most end but such a short replacement and rehabilitation of the route would give us that Tampa-Miami HSR speed without the need for HSR speeds.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:25 PM »
The First Coast Flyer's success, IMHO, will ride (no pun intended) on the ridership and the perception of the ridership.  If suburban commuters can be convinced that this will be a ride worth forgoing their vehicles, the First Coast Flyer is a winner.  If the perception of the First Coast Flyer is the same as that of existing bus ridership, it will be an uphill climb for the First Coast Flyer...
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »
I doubt suburban commuters will flock to this in large numbers.  It's not really BRT. It's just a branded regular bus that will run on 10 minute headways. Nevertheless, if coordinated with existing bus routes reconfigured to serve as feeders, JTA should be able to fill its seats.

urbaknight

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
in response to what someone said about commuter rail, we'd have a better chance of seeing a train from Washinton to London, than any commuter rail in JAX.