Author Topic: Murray Hill: Past, Present and Future  (Read 4244 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Murray Hill: Past, Present and Future
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Murray Hill: Past, Present and Future

Metro Jacksonville's Ennis Davis and Stephen Dare share the past, present and future of Jacksonville's Murray Hill neighborhood.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-mar-murray-hill-past-present-and-future

CG7

Re: Murray Hill: Past, Present and Future
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
I grew up in Murray Hill. The parks are where I played sports of every kind, and the movie theatres, are where my buddies and I hung out, and where I had my first dates. I still can't eat ice cream anywhere but The Dreamette. I hope Murray Hill is the next hot spot, but even though I live in Avondale now, Murray Hill will always be home. Thanks for the great article guys.

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:52 AM »
Great article Stephen and Lake, I did not know most of that history. Based on this article, I think I change my mind on the other thread, Murray Hill just may beat out Springfield as the next hot spot, especially if they go through with the bicycle plans.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

sheclown

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
I've always loved Murray Hill.  It has its own vibe for sure.  And it does have the Dreamette.  (Talk about an anchor). Never really thought about the positives of Nimbyism before -- the historic districts toss out cool stuff and it lands in Murry Hill.

Good job Ennis and Stephen. 

IrvAdams

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »
You guys provided a good time capsule here, thanks. I've always liked this area of the city, it seems isolated and peaceful. I like all the forward-looking stuff. I think the transportation and lifestyle changes you outlined will start to happen at an accelerated rate and it couldn't be more welcome.

I for one am so tired of commuting 25 miles every day in a personal auto, all within the same city. Seems sad there were streetcar options 100 years ago, and no one today could even tell you where the tracks were.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

mezofoprezo

• Hey Kerianne
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
I used to view Murray Hill through the car window on the way to somewhere else, but getting the opportunity to host an open mic at Fringe Cafe has given me an excuse to slow down and hang out for a minute. I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the lack of loud crowds but if Murray Hill turned out to be the next happening district I wouldn't be mad either.

At any rate, thanks for the history lesson! You guys are so good for learning about Jacksonville's past. It makes me feel so much more connected to these places where I'm making my own histories.
O friend you are like nothing I have seen before.
What do you have within your sweet spirit?
Somehow you are the light in everyone's eyes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
Thanks everyone. It was a real treat putting this together.  Expect to see more of other neighborhoods periodically throughout the year.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
Finally read through all this. Pieces like this are the reason I read and participate in Metro Jacksonville. Great work.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Buforddawg

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
Great piece on Murray Hill!  Thoroughly enjoyed the photos and and the history! Thanks for putting this together!

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
Really enjoyed the article. 

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »
Murray Hill is indeed a bohemian Mayberry because of its energetic creative people who also live mainstream lives.

We are normal but slightly batty.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
Edgewood Avenue has plenty of space for art galleries.

COME AS THOU ART

mtraininjax

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
Nice article! Hope the bicycle lanes come sooner on Edgewood, would really help change the neighborhood!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »
"mtraininjax
March 09, 2014, 05:22:09 PM
Nice article! Hope the bicycle lanes come sooner on Edgewood, would really help change the neighborhood!"

INDEED, Edgewood desperately needs bike lanes.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »
I've hear rumors that somebody from the Murray Hill Preservation Association will be conducting a Bike History Tour of Murray Hill in April or May.