Author Topic: The Most Expensive Road Projects in Florida  (Read 6491 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Most Expensive Road Projects in Florida
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:00:01 AM »
The Most Expensive Road Projects in Florida

A brief look at the Florida Department of Transportation's most expensive roadway construction projects currently underway.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-feb-the-most-expensive-road-projects-in-florida

tufsu1

Re: The Most Expensive Road Projects in Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »
I am very impressed by this list.  I really like the look of all these 12-16 lane highways.  Can't wait for the $2 Billion rebuild of I-4 to start next year.  It will be gorgeous!

http://www.moving-4-ward.com/

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
Interesting how the I275 widening drawings have rail included. Is that actually a component to FDOT's plans? If so, what are they doing that Jacksonville isn't?
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

Bridges

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
That's a lot of money on public transportation projects that will never turn a profit. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

I-10east

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:44 AM »
Only in Florida...All of that tax money gone to waste. Other states like Maine and Wyoming rather invest in things worthwhile, while Florida continues to bankrupt taxpayers with these lengthy asphalt monstrosities! (A fake parody rant).  :D 

I-10east

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
^^^With a constantly growing population (soon to be third in the country), expanding highways just comes along with the turf. Highways will never be profitable, but so is human resources within businesses, and that's needed.

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
^^^With a constantly growing population (soon to be third in the country), expanding highways just comes along with the turf.

Not necessarily.  Expanding mobility opportunities is needed, but that mobility can come in many forms.

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
Interesting how the I275 widening drawings have rail included. Is that actually a component to FDOT's plans? If so, what are they doing that Jacksonville isn't?

It is not something FDOT is paying for at this time, but many of the state's master plans contemplate rail in the median.  That said, rail will have a hard time being even remotely successful if I-275 is 14 lanes wide 

pierre

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
I should have been a civil engineer. So many big money road projects in Florida.

Bridges

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
^^^With a constantly growing population (soon to be third in the country), expanding highways just comes along with the turf. Highways will never be profitable, but so is human resources within businesses, and that's needed.

Wish people would apply the same line of thinking to alternative modes of transportation.  But every time streetcar or bus or rail gets brought up, the old "not profitable" line gets trotted out. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

I-10east

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
^^^I don't disagree with you. Many urbanists seem to go by that 'there's no room for both of us' mindset with highways vs transit, similar to the city vs the suburbs. IMO they are two different animals (highways and transit options). New York and many other metros is still car congested, despite it's great transit options.   

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
^^^I don't disagree with you. Many urbanists seem to go by that 'there's no room for both of us' mindset with highways vs transit, similar to the city vs the suburbs. IMO they are two different animals (highways and transit options). New York and many other metros is still car congested, despite it's great transit options.   

Funny. I've always seen it the other way around. Not a peep about spending $2 billion to build the Outer Beltway in the middle of cow pastures and environmentally sensitive property but ask for $10 million to expand the Skyway to Brooklyn and all hell breaks loose.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
That said, rail will have a hard time being even remotely successful if I-275 is 14 lanes wide.

Yeah, I can see how such a solution would struggle to be successful. I still believe Kennedy and Cypress are better corridors for LRT, even if they cost more to construct initially. Nevertheless, at least they are actively having the discussion of how to make an interstate highway's ROW more multimodal friendly.

This graphic is pretty old but gives someone not familiar with Tampa an idea of the corridors mentioned above:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/100499/photos/tp-trains4.jpg
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:29:43 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
I still believe Kennedy and Cypress are better corridors for LRT, even if they cost more to construct initially.

I don't disagree, but all indications are that ship has sailed

IrvAdams

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
When I think of the growth in our city, I picture ever-widening concentric circles of edge development connected by expressways, but they just keep missing the obvious bulls-eye in the center.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu