Author Topic: Slavery Is Alive In Jacksonville  (Read 3595 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Slavery Is Alive In Jacksonville
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:02 PM »
Slavery Is Alive In Jacksonville

Slavery is alive and well in the City of Jacksonville.  Take a look at this map.  

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-feb-slavery-is-alive-in-jacksonville

Redbaron616

Re: Slavery Is Alive In Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
Most of us have zero connection of any sort with modern slavery so there is very little we can actually do. Such actions are already illegal. I am not being callous about it, just realistic about what the average citizen can actually do. After all, it isn't like the previous slavery which was out in the open for all to see.

I-10east

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
Was the black & white picture of the family really necessary? What kind of message is that sending? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:14:14 PM by I-10east »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
What's wrong with the picture? No way to spin human trafficking in a good light.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
^^^This article's presentation is misleading. Most refer to human trafficking as that, and not 'slavery', like what lead to the Jim Crow era. I can see someone jotting through this being mislead, with the old timey picture etc. It's like many people really have an fascination with painting Jax in a negative light racially.

I-10east

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
^^^Modern day people call it human trafficking, bottom line. It's like confusing the Somali Pirates with Blackbeard....

I-10east

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
^^^To think, that you can't comprehend that, although you have the luxury to be condescending...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
^^^This article's presentation is misleading. Most refer to human trafficking as that, and not 'slavery', like what lead to the Jim Crow era. I can see someone jotting through this being mislead, with the old timey picture etc. It's like many people really have an fascination with painting Jax in a negative light racially.

Human trafficking is slavery and it's a problem that's much larger than what people may or may not think about Jacksonville.  Btw, I don't believe the article paints Jacksonville in a bad light.  It just exposes a global problem that is also taking place locally.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »
So what article would get more backlash from the New York Times; "Human Trafficking a Problem Throughout the City's Boroughs" maybe showing a pic of some shipping containers, or something, OR "Slavery is Alive in NYC" showing a circa 1912 family, looking like a black servant was gonna walk by any minute? I never had a problem with the gist of the message, just the presentation. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:18:27 PM by I-10east »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
Sorry, I still don't get what's wrong with the presentation. Show a modern picture and it has the same effect on someone who may be sensitive from that angle.  At the end of the day, regardless of the title image used, the real focus should be on the true issue, which is slavery still exists and we as a society need to do something about it.

I-10east

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
^^^Whatever dude. You haven't told me anything that I didn't already know with this. Please stop with the 'your didn't read it' shtick, it's very tiresome and played out....

I-10east

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »
^^^Most people don't know that nondescript pic is from 1912. You're totally missing the point. I said the word 'presentation' (Nondescript old pic + poor title choice)  multiple times. I'm gonna let this badly edited article (IMO) fade into obscurity, so I won't continue to keep it alive by responding.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:14:57 PM by I-10east »