Author Topic: Fight underway to save Jacksonville from itself  (Read 10152 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Fight underway to save Jacksonville from itself
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Fight underway to save Jacksonville from itself

If you care about Jacksonville ever having safe bike lanes and sidewalks, this message from the Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) highlights why time is of essence in saving what's left of the City of Jacksonville's 2030 Mobility Plan and Fee.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-feb-fight-underway-to-save-jacksonville-from-itself

sheclown

Re: Fight underway to save Jacksonville from itself
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »
Go BPAC!

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
Emails sent.  I should get out of work early today.  I believe I can make this one.

strider

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
E-mails were sent and a reply stated that it is going to be deferred at least two cycles? Can this be confirmed?

Also, I was sent a list of amendments.  Can we find out who in the Planning Department is writing the positive spin on this ordinance?
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

Jumpinjack

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
At the TEU meeting yesterday, the Planning Director and staff presented a 5 page review of the proposed amendment. It was briefly explained by Mr. Smith. The council members had not had any time to review it and the developer lawyers had not seen it either. Neither had any of us opposing the bill.

There were some critical remarks from a few council members about who would decide what was a transportation improvement, etc. The committee decided that it would need time to review and the Planning Department would take into account the comments made by the council members. Mr. Burney agreed it would take two rounds(cycles) to get it reworked and present it to the developers for their take on it.

However, LUZ will still be having public comments today - regardless. Comments early in meeting. 

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »
JACKSONVILLE NEEDS TO TAKE BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN SAFETY AS A SERIOUS ISSUE.

How is it so difficult for our bubba city council to understand that competitive cities in American are cities that are becoming safer and more bicycle and pedestrian friendly?

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a list of pedestrian/bike accidents in duval? I'd love to map all of them. I think seeing them all mapped out would be pretty shocking.

I think there was another death last week.
Jags season ticket holder.

Wheel Sucker

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
Being a competitive cyclist I love bike lanes but being in the civil engineering business I know that concurrency, fair share or mobility fees can kill a project. My opinion is the City will misappropriate this money anyway. Jax's homegrown mega-companies WILL have their way. I've worked for most of them, they don't hear the word "NO" and they don't lose. I'll spend my energy on my bike thank you (on St. Johns County roads)

I'm new to Metro Jax....when does the hate begin ?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:28:11 PM by Wheel Sucker »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
A project which needs to externalize its own cost to the point that it cant afford to contribute to the infrastructure necessary to support it is unsustainably expensive for the taxpayers who are forced to foot the bill.
+1000. If covering the cost of your project's negative impact on the adjacent public infrastructure network is too much to bare, you never had a viable project to begin with. Instead, you've created a proforma where you're counting on public subsidies to make your numbers work.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

mvp

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
@coredumped:

Look here on page 6 for a map of bike/bed crashes by severity:

http://www.northfloridatpo.com/images/uploads/docs/Appendix_C_CrashSeverityMaps.pdf

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
Don't give away the farm city council. Just like 7-Eleven was going to build anyway so will the Davis Family.  You are just giving Jax away if you bend on this.
Lenny Smash

Roger904

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
Much of St. John's County is just Regency of forty years ago.  Cheaply built, unthought out and totally dependent on the fickle fortunes of people willing to spend themselves into debt to provide the brief illusion of success.

It wont age well, and at some point, the party is over.

Some of us remember when the apartment complex of Century 21 was considered a luxury lifestyle community.

What a laugh.

I don't always agree with you stephendare but your characterization of St John's is spot on.  Well said.  And yes I remember when Century 21 was the place to be.

Dog Walker

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
A project which needs to externalize its own cost to the point that it cant afford to contribute to the infrastructure necessary to support it is unsustainably expensive for the taxpayers who are forced to foot the bill.
+1000. If covering the cost of your project's negative impact on the adjacent public infrastructure network is too much to bare, you never had a viable project to begin with. Instead, you've created a proforma where you're counting on public subsidies to make your numbers work.

Straight to the heart of the matter!
When all else fails hug the dog.

sheclown

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »
At LUZ. Developers to the left.  Mere mortals on the right. Evenly matched numbers. Ordinance will be deferred but public hearing is open. Moved to the end of the agenda

Bridges

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
I got hung up at work.  Wish I could have been there.  Whats happening/happened?
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.