Author Topic: Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District  (Read 12564 times)

RockStar

Re: Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
No mention of Jack Rabbits? While the interior of that place kills me they have had have some of the hands down best underground shows in Jacksonville.

Don't know when you were in there last, but they've done a pretty solid job revamping and updating it. No smoking inside anymore either....I think. Either way, heads and tails about where it started.

mtraininjax

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
If we can get more of our established neighborhoods to stabilize their population decline and begin to see growth, many storefronts on streets like Main, McDuff, Phoenix, Kings, Myrtle, Edison, Philip Randolph, Moncrief, Edgewood, etc. will naturally see higher occupancy rates, regardless of what takes place in the suburbs and surrounding counties.

Need to slow the traffic down, like they have done on San Marco Blvd with the roundabout and general feel of a slower area. Hendricks is a straight road for the most part from Prudential Drive to Balis Park, sure there are some lights but most people don't really have to pay attention to curves in the road along this path. It feels like its a speedway compared to San Marco Blvd. If you can slow down the cars, I think you can accomplish what you are trying to do in the quote above.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »
No mention of Jack Rabbits? While the interior of that place kills me they have had have some of the hands down best underground shows in Jacksonville.

Don't know when you were in there last, but they've done a pretty solid job revamping and updating it. No smoking inside anymore either....I think. Either way, heads and tails about where it started.

I think the impression that most people get who haven't been in there is based on the exterior. Not exactly awe-inspiring

mtraininjax

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
I think the impression that most people get who haven't been in there is based on the exterior. Not exactly awe-inspiring

Neither was the old Shell Station in Historic Avondale, but somehow they found a way to tear it down. San Marco not a historic district, that whole row of businesses, including the rabbit, could be torn down without so much as a protest.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Donut District
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
With the recent Publix only East San Marco and Home Street Apt news, I thought this was a good thread to revisit. No density additions has slowed the momentum but I am still very pleased with the progress of this stretch and feel it has a shot to reach its potential. Kings ave and Atlantic east of the square I expect to contribute nicely as well.

As now a 'long time" San Marco resident, and someone who walks/bikes/drives it daily at different times, the various small additions have really added up. While I  certainly wouldn't call it vibrant, the difference of pedestrian activity compared to the dead zone of 5 years ago is encouraging.

With the completion of MD Anderson/Overland/Broad Stone and hopefully Publix/Home Street being built, plus the River Place road diet, we should see some momentum. If(a big if) the Baptist Convention center development could be built, I would think that would be the key to having Hendricks finally be a nice link from San Marco Square to the South Bank.

Of course it is Urban Jax, so what are the odds I bump this thread in 5 years and wonder if the Shell of Home Street will ever be finished and why is East San Marco is still a "park"?

MusicMan

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
I am aware that the old Morton's Steakhouse near The Peninsula is under contract to physicians. They will be converting it into medical offices. Closing should be pretty soon.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »
I am aware that the old Morton's Steakhouse near The Peninsula is under contract to physicians. They will be converting it into medical offices. Closing should be pretty soon.

That's too bad.  I was sort of hoping that lot could be "urbanized."  The old Morton's structure looks as though it belongs in Baymeadows and not downtown.  Such prime property in the core would ideally have a much more intense use, and a far more pedestrian accessible design.  More apartments with physicians' offices on the ground floor.

MusicMan

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »
It sat FOR SALE for 6 years.   First contract to make it through due diligence.....

Anyway, down the road it is zoned for a 5 or 6 story tower there, so you may some day get your wish.

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Donut District
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »

That's too bad.  I was sort of hoping that lot could be "urbanized."  The old Morton's structure looks as though it belongs in Baymeadows and not downtown.  Such prime property in the core would ideally have a much more intense use, and a far more pedestrian accessible design.  More apartments with physicians' offices on the ground floor.

Love the thinking but let me tell you a story.

There once was a magical place called East San Marco......

marcuscnelson

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

Love the thinking but let me tell you a story.

There once was a magical place called East San Marco......

Is it not a story the Jedi would tell?