Author Topic: Video: NFL Claims Snow No Problem for Super Bowl  (Read 3378 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Video: NFL Claims Snow No Problem for Super Bowl
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
Video: NFL Claims Snow No Problem for Super Bowl

With freezing temperatures in New York, Sunday's Super Bowl could be an unmitigated disaster. However, according to the AP, the NFL doesn't think so.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-jan-video-nfl-claims-snow-no-problem-for-super-bowl-

FSBA

Re: Video: NFL Claims Snow No Problem for Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »
I support meaningless jingoistic cliches

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
What's the deal here? How did they get to host a game up in a "cold weather stadium"? Do they have to place bids to the NFL to host it? It seems very unfair to other cold weather stadiums/cities that this was allowed.
Jags season ticket holder.

FSBA

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
The 2 New York franchises spent 1.6 billion building a new stadium. They were getting a Super Bowl even if they didn't bother to smooth over the landfill it was built on.
I support meaningless jingoistic cliches

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »
This will probably be the last one they get. Ticket sales aren't going as well as original envisioned...

So much for being the most expensive Super Bowl ever.

With ticket prices in a freefall, seats for Sunday’s MetLife Stadium matchup between the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos could end up being the least expensive for a Super Bowl since the post-9/11 game of 2002.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/27/ticket-prices-plummet-weekend-before-super-bowl/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
Have you guys heard about the cruise ships they have docked and the media is praising this, remember what happen here?

I-10east

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »
^^^We're definitely trailblazers among certain innovations here; Super Bowl (hotel) cruise ships, and the NFL RedZone on the scoreboards which more than likely will spread like wildfire throughout the NFL. Of course when we do it first, all of the national medias' negative ninnies come out of the woodwork, SMH.

It's ironic that the Jags team president, Mark Lamping is the key person responsible for bringing the Super Bowl to Jersey. No denying that he gets stuff done. I'm kinda like 55/45 on wanting the SB to be a disaster (I can't stand Goodell)  ;).  It's kinda like a 'friendly fire' situation, given that Lamping is working for the Jags now. A time-delaying disastrous SB definitely leaves a blemish on the resume.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:21:05 AM by I-10east »

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
What's the deal here? How did they get to host a game up in a "cold weather stadium"? Do they have to place bids to the NFL to host it? It seems very unfair to other cold weather stadiums/cities that this was allowed.

It was first floated after 9-11, and when the new stadium got funded, the idea became a reality. 

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
If the taxpayers in an NFL city fork over hundreds of millions for a new stadium the league throws them a super bowl bone.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

duvaldude08

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
^^^We're definitely trailblazers among certain innovations here; Super Bowl (hotel) cruise ships, and the NFL RedZone on the scoreboards which more than likely will spread like wildfire throughout the NFL. Of course when we do it first, all of the national medias' negative ninnies come out of the woodwork, SMH.

It's ironic that the Jags team president, Mark Lamping is the key person responsible for bringing the Super Bowl to Jersey. No denying that he gets stuff done. I'm kinda like 55/45 on wanting the SB to be a disaster (I can't stand Goodell)  ;).  It's kinda like a 'friendly fire' situation, given that Lamping is working for the Jags now. A time-delaying disastrous SB definitely leaves a blemish on the resume.

You know, that pissed me off. When we brought in cruise ships it was a terrible idea, but now know NY is doing it, its a wonderful idea. I just read an article talking about and I am livid. We were TRASHED for doing that. Given, we did it to meet the hotel room requirement, but the fact still remains that the fans stayed on the ship, like they will be in NY. But you know what Ive noticed, other franchies often have secretly copied what we have done. FOr example, in 2010 when we went from having all the blackouts to having none, and the payment plan was introduced, Wayne Weavers phone was blowing with other franchises asking him "How did you guys do it." And like you said about the NFL redzone, they are dogging us now for the idea, but once two or three other franchises follow suite, the idea will be praised as an innovation  ::)
Jaguars 2.0

urbaknight

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
At least playing in cold weather is second nature to both teams. I know the Seahawlks play in a dome, but they have to commute in that cold, rainy weather. And I'm glad that these two teams haven't won a Super Bowl, makes the game more interesting.

JHAT76

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
At least playing in cold weather is second nature to both teams. I know the Seahawlks play in a dome, but they have to commute in that cold, rainy weather. And I'm glad that these two teams haven't won a Super Bowl, makes the game more interesting.

Seahawks don't play in a dome. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
It's a little different in NY. We had five ships because we didn't have enough hotel rooms. This is not the case in New York. Bud Light rented the boat as a private hotel and party spot for their guests. In addotion, one of the things that made it a nightmare here is the boats all left on Monday Morning. So, if you had an 8PM flight, you had no car, and no place to stay. Further, 4 of the 5 ships were not downtown, so they were disconnected from everything. Again, not the case in NY.

Trust me, I'd love to see Jacksonville get another Super Bowl. But, I don't think it's a good idea until we have an extra 5000 hotel rooms (what the ships brought), and ideally, these 5000 rooms be downtown (or a majority of them), which is likely a long way off.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
Don't worry. Jax won't be getting another Super Bowl any time soon.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
In addotion, one of the things that made it a nightmare here is the boats all left on Monday Morning. So, if you had an 8PM flight, you had no car, and no place to stay.

Fair enough. Who's the inept moron that was in charge of those ships leaving so early? It's stupid stuff like that magnifies the negativism.