Author Topic: Visions of Vibrancy: London  (Read 8095 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Visions of Vibrancy: London
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Visions of Vibrancy: London

The vibrancy of cities comes in all shapes and sizes. Many believe that what works in internationally known cosmopolitan settings may not be applicable for cities such as Jacksonville, that have struggled with embracing walkability. If we look hard enough, we may realize that this type of view should be challenged. Despite the diversity around the globe, all lively cities, downtowns and urban cores have something in common: being pedestrian friendly.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-jan-visions-of-vibrancy-london

ben says

Re: Visions of Vibrancy: London
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
Great pictures!

I've been to London three times, the last time being July 2013.

Quite the city, obviously one of the "best" in the world (by any standards).

Did someone from MJ get to go recently? I know one of MJs posters (Adam W) lives in London now.

For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
"When it comes to identifying a place where historic preservation, modern iconic architecture, color and streetscape lighting schemes seamlessly come together, London is hard to beat. If one desires to see the impact of lighting on the pedestrian environment, this article is a great place to start. Here is a visual opportunity illustrating lively street scenes full of innovative concepts and ideas that can be absorbed locally without major public investments in studies and transatlantic trips."

Jacksonville can definitely learn a lot and emulate some of these successful ideas.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
"Despite the diversity around the globe, all lively cities, downtowns and urban cores have something in common: being pedestrian friendly."

Could not of said it better than myself!

finehoe

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »
London is fabulous!  If you've never been, you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »
Great pictures!

Did someone from MJ get to go recently? I know one of MJs posters (Adam W) lives in London now.

Yes I went to the Jags game, it was an awesome trip.

ben says

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »
Great pictures!

Yes I went to the Jags game, it was an awesome trip.

Are these your pictures?
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
No I don't know how to post pics, but I do have some good ones on my flicker page if you want to see. I even got a few pics of the Jags at the pep rally. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
The pictures were taken by Lunican.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ben says

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
No I don't know how to post pics, but I do have some good ones on my flicker page if you want to see. I even got a few pics of the Jags at the pep rally.

Great pics. I see you're a European traveler. Any trips planned in the near future?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »

Great pics. I see you're a European traveler. Any trips planned in the near future?

Well I am actually working here at the US ARMY hospital in Landstuhl Germany, so its easy and much cheaper to travel from my location. In March ROME, then Amsterdam in May. Belgium, then my mom will be here this summer for two weeks so where ever I take her. I may be here 3 more years so I should get to see quite a bit.

Dog Walker

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »
London is an awesome city and they have some ideas that we can use easily to become more pedestrian friendly.  One of the neatest is the placement of pedestrian crossing in the middle of a block rather than the corners.  Drivers aren't making turns and looking for oncoming traffic and looking for pedestrians all at the same time.

In London you put one toe onto the zebra crossing and the traffic comes to an instant stop until you are completely across.  Amazing to anyone used to trying to cross a street in Jacksonville.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
London has had quite a head start on Jacksonville and it clearly shows. The criteria for something to be considered historic in the U.S. is laughable compared to London. I went into a bar that had been in operation continuously for 120 years, definitely notable, but it had been a jail for the SIX HUNDRED years prior to that. Cathedrals built several thousand years ago. It is unlike anything that can be found in the U.S.

When the term 'world class' gets tossed around in Jacksonville for the next big gimmick, it is rightfully met with laughter. Not to say we can't improve, but 'world class' doesn't come with a Ferris wheel.

tufsu1

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »
^ agreed...the latest laugh is something I heard at World Class Jax meeting a few weeks ago...our downtown can be world class by 2025 if it is equal to Charlotte's downtown today :)

As for world (and ancient) cities, I'm headed to Rome and Athens in a few weeks....with a "side trip" to Israel.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
New York City is probably a better American success story when it comes to the speed at which a 'world class' city can be built. The jury is still out on Jacksonville.