Author Topic: What Should Be Done With Downtown Jacksonville?  (Read 41079 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
What Should Be Done With Downtown Jacksonville?
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »
What Should Be Done With Downtown Jacksonville?

If you could change one thing about Downtown Jacksonville, what would it be? The Downtown Investment Authority is formulating a long-term, Business Investment and Development (BID) Strategy for downtown and there's three days left to provide your input. Has your opinion been heard?

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-dec-what-should-be-done-with-downtown-jacksonville

Noone

Re: What Should Be Done With Downtown Jacksonville?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »
What should be done with DOWNTOWN JACKSONVILLE?
Open up the RIVER.
Don't you just love it.
Look at the picture you use. Tourists looking at a history marker next to Hooters at the Landing on our empty RIVER.
Open the RAM dock!
Dozens of other examples.
Tides look good. Allow me to show you the crushing of the Public Trust.

wwerts1

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:58:44 AM »
I would like to see all the condemn houses be torn down and trash pick make downtown a place where visitors and jax native can come and enjoy the downtown sights.

strider

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
The development brought in by running a street car system from the skyway at the river, through downtown and up Main street would take care of the condemned houses.  Firing a few at the top in the Municipal Code Compliance division would help a lot too as then perhaps we could get personnel running the show that used the federal funds for the right things and helped promote the urban areas rather than just illegally and improperly tearing them down. In fact, one of the biggest issues with the urban core has not been that there is no money to help promote it, it is that those funds are often abused and not used for their real intent. That seems like the first thing that needs fixed before anything else can move forward.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
I agree but that's not a capital project that can be included in the CRA plan.  Assuming we got our financial house in order first, what would you advocate for first as far as capital projects (infrastructure, parks, transit, etc.) go? Also, don't forget to make your suggestions known on the DIA's website:

http://imaginedtjax.mindmixer.com/

What's happening in DT Miami right now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
Welcome to Miami!

Sunbeam

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »
The first thing I hope everyone realizes is the Mayors Office in May 2013 put out a "Request For Information" (RFI) for Downtown, North and South bank development.

The RFI was done under the radar of the citizenry, without City Council knowledge AND even most of DIA knew nothing about it.

RFI though on line in the Procurement Dept. few people even know they exist let alone know where to look to find one BUT if your one of the good ole boy club you receive a personal invitation from Procurement to respond.

Not surprisingly there was only one response.

Something downtown doesnt need and is a royal stupid idea is a space needle. Not even to start with! Just hoping for growth to someday surround it. It is stupid because once anyone visits they have no reason to return. There is no draw to make them return again and again, etc.

PLUS the city nor PFPF has any right to risk tax payers money on such an "iffy" at best investment

I have approached CC and  DIA multiple times with pictures of development sprouted around Ferris Wheels. The success of such a thing is proven time and time again around the country and even in England during the Jags game over there.

A 75 foot Ferris Wheel lit up to the hilt on the shipyard property can and will be seen from every bridge that crosses the river including the Dames Point. A Ferris Wheel will indeed STOP the usual pass through traffic on 95 to a stop for a ride, or two or three. Then again when they pass through on a return trip.

A Ferris Wheel will draw locals and those from surrounding counties to ride unlimited times. Especially visitors downtown for conventions, football games, baseball games, concerts at both the arena and met park. People will walk from the landing to ride this Ferris Wheel. Parking can even be free on the property AND on the sounthbank JEA property with a low cost ferry ride across the river.

Opportunity is unlimited.

Back to the RFI---The city needs to submit another RFI but this time needs to include the DIA and CC needs to have knowledge of it as well. The RFI needs to be sent to every amusement park across the country and across the pond in England and see not if, but how many investors will respond where Im sure they will.

The city need not GIVE or RISK any more tax payer money then what already comes with development of shipyard property that includes but is not limited to Enterprise Zone, QTI, DT Dev. etc

Heres is another extremely great benefit The Ferris Wheel and amusement park will be able to employ those within the city without college degrees that the OED is constantly catering to. Those from the military that can run a nuclear ship but no college can be employed. Those from the Northside with the citys highest unemployment rate can indeed be employable. Anyone with a desire to work can work in the NEW Jacksonville Jungle Amusement Park.

There is soooo much more I have designed for the development of the amusement park  but that is enough for now.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:33:00 AM by Sunbeam »

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
Less government regulation of what goes where and how it will look.  More freedom.  Less red tape.  Tax dollars should only go towards infrastructure, parking meter removal and traffic changes.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Sunbeam

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
Navy Pier in Chicago and the London Eye

Im sorry I am unable to figure out how to post a picture. Ive never had trouble before posting these pic's and cant figure out why I cant on this site

Until I do please look here

http://www.navypier.com/things2do/things_home.html

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=london+eye+ferris+wheel&qpvt=london+eye+ferris+wheel&FORM=IGRE

Sunbeam

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
Galveston water front and things like this are all over the country. Why not Jax?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=galveston+ferris+wheel&qpvt=galveston+ferris+wheel&FORM=IGRE

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
Redevelop most of those historical 1920s era office buildings into reasonably priced condos with roof top gardens, street level retail without those dreary reflective glass street level shop windows.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:09:49 AM by BoldBoyOfTheSouth »

CityLife

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »
Galveston water front and things like this are all over the country. Why not Jax?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=galveston+ferris+wheel&qpvt=galveston+ferris+wheel&FORM=IGRE

Do you have any ridership data from those places? I was in Chicago last summer around the 4th of July and the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier seemed relatively dead on a beautiful summer day. My hotel room in Daytona Beach a few months ago was facing the Ferris Wheel and I barely saw any ridership all weekend. I know the London Eye does well, but its a bit unique.

While, we're on Navy Pier, there are probably better lessons to take from Chicago imo. Creating a great public transportation system, investing heavily in public parks, partnering with the private sector to fundraise for parks, converting old warehouses/buildings into lofts, more public art, events, concerts, cultivating a great dining/foodie scene, and so on....These are the things that get people to move to and visit large cities like NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc.

If someone wants to spend their own money to put up a Ferris Wheel have at it, but I don't know that it should be considered a public redevelopment strategy.

Sunbeam

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
Over 8 million people visit the Navy Pier annually

Sunbeam

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
BTW it is imperative this community get together to insist JTA STOP trying to force the next extension of the skyway to the Riverside area like they currently are.

Thus community needs to ban together to tell JTA if we are expected to invest even another dime to the skyway it NEEDS to go to the entertainment/sports complex that serves hundreds of thousands of people annually.

NOT Riverside for a maybe a couple of hundred. When there is more growth, maybe.

JTA, Nat Ford is bent on getting federal and state Grants for the skyway to riverside with the attitude of getting money for a mandatory local match... "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it".

THAT is unacceptable!

CityLife

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Over 8 million people visit the Navy Pier annually

How many ride the Ferris Wheel? There were tens of thousands on the Navy Pier when I was there and barely anyone on the Ferris Wheel...I have friends that live in Chicago and some of their friends grew up in Chicago. General consensus seemed to be the Navy Pier is nothing more than a gimmicky tourist trap. Its Chicago's Fisherman's Wharf without the Sea Lions.