Author Topic: Jacksonville's Most Walkable Neighborhoods  (Read 4949 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville's Most Walkable Neighborhoods
« on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »
Jacksonville's Most Walkable Neighborhoods

Jacksonville's most walkable neighborhoods according to Walk Score's 2014 walkability rankings.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-dec-jacksonvilles-most-walkable-neighborhoods

Noone

Re: Jacksonville's Most Walkable Neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 03:17:19 AM »
Interesting. Run the numbers.
We were in San Marco Friday evening and all the benches and pavers that I'm sure helped in contributing to the cost for that expanded interactive area. Watched some of the fire juggling that captivated people on both sides of the street. Nice experience.

bencrix

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
Interesting that Fairfax clips Avondale in the ranking. I assume that is a result of Roosevelt Square / Publix.  I wouldn't say it was designed with the pedestrian in mind, but is somewhat central to the neighborhood. It would be interesting to model the impact of the East San Marco development / the Brooklyn area retail developments on the scores of their respective neighborhoods. If I am right about Roosevelt Square, it seems like they could have a big impact on WalkScore (particularly East San Marco). Anyone know of any tools that model WalkScore impacts from development scenarios?

Another question might be, what is downtown lacking that would make it a "walker's paradise."

mtraininjax

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »
You can call it walkability, I call it survival. What is the one thing after oxygen human beings need? Food. So Avondale gets clipped because there is no major grocery store in the Avondale area. Yes, there is the Riverside Publix in Riverside, the Fairfax Publix and the Family Dollar in Murray Hill, but no major grocery offerings in Avondale itself. To me, if you can't drive that is a huge issue. Avondale also lacks major concession stores, with most around Dancy/Park. Kinds stinks if you are at Donald and St. Johns Ave and you need a gallon of milk, its a long way to Dancy/Park.

How Springfield ranked number 2, I have no idea. Yeah, you can walk it, but do you really want to? No thanks. San Marco is nice, but it too lacks a major grocery store, for now. It is interesting how St. Nicholas got kicked to the curb when its next to San Marco. Anyone go walking in section 19, just north of Union Street.....at night?
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

SunKing

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
I agree. I would think that Riverside would easily top the list, particularly 5points area. Banks, food, grocery, parks, schools, movie theater, mixed retail.  Not an accurate report IMHO.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »
I agree. I would think that Riverside would easily top the list, particularly 5points area. Banks, food, grocery, parks, schools, movie theater, mixed retail.  Not an accurate report IMHO.

The neighborhood rankings don't segregate the best addresses within that neighborhood, it's an overall average. To your point, O'Brothers by Five Points receives a 94 walkscore which is quite excellent.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
Now that JTA is planning an ALL BUS transit system AGAIN, lets look at some of the roots of these scores...

1. 73 Downtown Jacksonville - 6,373 Served by some 22+ streetcar routes including the Bay Street-Camp Johnston Express Non-Stop

2. 68 Springfield - 4,819 Served by the 8th Street, Phoenix-Panama, Main Street, 11Th Street Looper, 1St and Walnut, 4Th and Pearl, Hogan and Pearl, Brentwood-Race Track, Streetcar Lines.

3. 68 San Marco - 2,698 Served by the South Jacksonville Muni, Acosta-San Jose, Atlantic-Spring Glen Streetcar Lines.

4. 67 Riverside - 9,387 Served by the Riverside-Ortega, Lackawanna-Seaboard, Myrtle-Union Station, Murray Hill Streetcar Lines

5. 67 Fairfax - 1,684 Served by the Riverside-Ortega Streetcar Line

6. 63 Avondale - 5,543 Served by the Riverside-Ortega Streetcar Line

7. 60 Hogans Creek - 3,242 Served by the 8th Street, Phoenix-Panama, Main Street, 11Th Street Looper, 1St and Walnut, 4Th and Pearl, Hogan and Pearl, Brentwood-Race Track, Streetcar Lines.

8. 59 Murray Hill - 9,190 Served by the Murray Hill Streetcar Line

9. 57 Normandy - 587 -------------------------------HIGHWAY ONLY-----------------------

10. 55 New Town - 1,832 Served by the Woodstock Park-Beaver, Kings Road-Myrtle, Moncrief-Eastside, Streetcar Lines

11. 55 Brentwood - 6,618 Served by the Brentwood Streetcar Line

12. 54 Southside - 1,882 Served by the South Jacksonville Muni, Acosta-San Jose, Atlantic-Spring Glen Streetcar Lines

13. 53 Lakeshore - 4,164 ---------------------------HIGHWAY ONLY-BUILT WITH EXPRESS (BRT) BUS----------------

14. 52 Mid-Westside - 7,124 Served by the Moncrief, Myrtle, and Davis Streetcar Lines

15. 51 Arlington - 4,867 ----------------------------HIGHWAY ONLY------------------------------------------------------

16. 51 Cedar Hills Estate - 3,415 ------------------HIGHWAY ONLY------------------------------------------------------

17. 50 East Jacksonville - 2,828 Served by the Talleyrand, Jessie Street, Moncrief-Eastside and Florida Avenue Streetcar Lines.

18. 50 29th and Chase - 1,776 Served by the Moncrief Streetcar Looper

19. 50 Robinson's Addition - 1,240 Served by the Woodstock Park-Beaver Streetcar Line.

So the way I see it, the city and it's residents are safer if we all just drive cars right?

mtraininjax

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:06:55 AM »
So the way I see it, the city and it's residents are safer if we all just drive cars right?

The study is called Walkability, not Busability, lol!!!!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

AviationMetalSmith

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »
That grey area between 1 (Downtown Jacksonvile) and 4 (Riverside), is a complete disaster .

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
That's Brooklyn. I suspect when 220 Riverside and Brooklyn Riverside open it will become one of the most walkable with the way Walkscore's criteria operates.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali