Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside Park  (Read 4867 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside Park
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:02:54 AM »
Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside Park

Metro Jacksonville's Lauren Parker and Andrew Smith take a stroll through Jacksonville's second oldest public park: Riverside Park.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-nov-urban-neighborhoods-riverside-park

WmNussbaum

Re: Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside Park
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:05:42 AM »
Judging from the color of the water, it looks like the slime is back in the pond. Thank you for your great upkeep Parks & Recreation.

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »
This was one of my favorite parks to take my son. Running around on the playground and feeding ducks before leaving, it became a bit of a ritual on Saturdays.
Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

KenFSU

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
Absolutely love this park.

One of my two or three favorites in Jacksonville.

urbaknight

Re: Exploring Riverside Park
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »
When are they going to build the dog park? Is there still a plan for that?

Karenfinan

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
Loved bringing my grandson there, lots of great memories

mtraininjax

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »
Dog Park has the Weavers as a major Corporate sponsor, but still in need of a large amount of money to complete the 120,000 needed to show City and FDOT RAP can run the show. I am confident we will get there.

The green brown water is a LOT better than it used to be. The pond was cleaned up last year and they removed several feet of muck, bird waste and dead organic material from the pond, relocated birds while they did it. Yeah, they need more like a better filter for the water, but this is a HUGE improvement over what it used to be.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

AmyLynne

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
Dog Park has the Weavers as a major Corporate sponsor, but still in need of a large amount of money to complete the 120,000 needed to show City and FDOT RAP can run the show. I am confident we will get there.

The green brown water is a LOT better than it used to be. The pond was cleaned up last year and they removed several feet of muck, bird waste and dead organic material from the pond, relocated birds while they did it. Yeah, they need more like a better filter for the water, but this is a HUGE improvement over what it used to be.

It seems like the Canada Geese have taken over the spots that were vacated by the Muscovy ducks when they were relocated and never returned.

Should we just rename them Florida Geese since they don't seem to want to fly north any longer.?

Dog Walker

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Those geese do fly out every evening, then the White Ibis fly in for the night during this time of year.  In the morning the process is reversed...changing of the guard.

It's worth a special trip to the park near sunset to watch the Ibis fly in.  They come in in V's and their landing maneuvers are spectacular.  Pretty sight.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Know Growth

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »

Ibis info very cool,thanks for sharing. Will plan on a bike ride to the park @ Ibis O'clock.

I am recalling an event about 12-15 years ago. Big storm, tornadoes,trees down in the Park. I took photos- old fashioned 35mm print!...
Big impact,though you would hardly know now.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Dog Park will be in the corner at Margaret Street near where the Fuller Warren Bridge goes overhead - but not under the bridge.  Something about keeping dog poop out of the retention pond.

Dog Walker

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:56:15 AM »
The dog park will be partially under the expressway next to College Street.  The large dog portion will be underneath and the small dog area will be in the corner of the Park next to College and the flyovers.  The entrance will be from College Street.

There is a bio-swale in the plan to take care of any runoff from Dog Park.

You can see the plans here:  http://www.riversideavondale.org/index.php?id=236
When all else fails hug the dog.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
What are the odds that this pond gets some proper filtration or at least the biology to keep it clean naturally?

mbwright

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 09:00:21 AM »
Much needed, as a permanent solution, not just a deep cleaning when it gets really gross.  I just hate that the part looks so artificial and sterile, compared to the old photos. 

mtraininjax

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 06:11:56 AM »
What are the odds that this pond gets some proper filtration or at least the biology to keep it clean naturally?

We need to stay on top of this with our City Councilman, Jim Love. I sent a number of notes and emails to both Jim and his assistant Kevin Kuzel that Parks needs to get over and get this much cleaned up. See a problem, call your councilman.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field