Author Topic: San Diego Sprinter: A case study for JTA  (Read 4520 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
San Diego Sprinter: A case study for JTA
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
A case study for JTA: San Diego Sprinter Opens

The San Diego Sprinter, the country's newest commuter rail system officially began operations on March 9, 2008.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/747

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
Re: San Diego Sprinter: A case study for JTA
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:18:04 AM »
Outstanding work -- excellent analysis.  If Southern California can do commuter rail, then North Florida surely can as well.  As always, it's a matter of organizing and deploying the political will required.  Presentations like this will go a long way in making your case and thereby build momentum.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

CRAIG B

• The Red Green Show
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
As someone that doesn't use public transit it won't really matter to me. My job entails that I drive around to different sites to repair computers. So aside from the fact that I won't use it, I would however use it for things like Jag games or Hockey games or even River front events. I would gladly park the car or Van and use it for things like that.
University students would benefit tremendously if they have an east west route, and like most cities have ample parking at the stations. This would envigorate alot of business' in areas that because of unavailable parking or metered parking they avoid like the plague. Hint....Downtown!
 Bring it on, and the usage idea with commercial is great too. Calgary Alberta Canada has a downtown free zone, travel between any downtown zones is free to get on and off, should you start travel outside of those areas then you have to pay. I think that would help downtown also.
WOULD THE OCEAN BE HIGHER IF THERE WERE NO SPONGES?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
I think it's incredible that with those elevated sections and rebuilding existing track, the price tag was still cheaper than BRT

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
I want it real bad.  How can you look at the sprinter and not want it right here.  Mr. Miller stop the BRT nonsense and get me one of those trains now please. :)
Lenny Smash

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »
SPRINTER DEFINED

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
sprinter   Audio Help   /sprɪnter/ Pronunciation Key - [sprinter]
–verb (used without object)
1. One who races at full speed, esp. for a short distance, as in running, rowing, etc. 
–verb (used with object)
2. One who traverses in sprinting: to sprint a half mile. 
–noun
3. To run a short race at full speed. 
4. To use a burst of speed at any point during a long race, as near the finish line. 
5. To use a brief spell of great activity.
6. Another word for INTERURBAN, a fast intra-city train proposed in Jacksonville, Florida by everyone except the Transportation Authoritys. {variation: a thought far in advance of BRT, as in fast, or sprint is to slow or parked} also: Advanced transit theory. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1560–70; perh. continuing OE *sprintan (cf. gesprintan to emit); c. ON spretta, OHG sprinzan to jump up]

—Related forms
sprinter, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006

Well, you can't say we didn't tell them so...

Ocklawaha

dhouston

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:54:48 PM »
I am a new reader and I love the conversation this site.
I love that all you all have shown what is lacking of Jacksonville and provided ways to fix it using solid research.
I want a rail system like other cities have been able to build. I don't have research, but I have been meditating on why local rail transport has not moved forward in the last year; what could the pro-transit folks be missing?
To get the attention of the money, I think you should link all plans to the airport.  Tourism is the one thing people in Florida understand.  If you/we/they focus on getting travelers/conventioneers   from the airport to downtown, any  light rail project might get more Jacksonville money and support. Maybe Mr. Clark at the airport could help with his millions.
or maybe the airport is ridiculously far for the money we have.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
Hello dhouston and welcome to the fray! You have some good ideas and pulling in the airport was in fact a subject that came up in our meeting this week. The rail system could be built for as little as $2 million a mile (the lowest estimated price) and with $100 million in the bank for transit, that amount would certainly cover the airport if JTA had the inclination to do rail. Otherwise, if the City is smart, they will follow our suggestions and go with a new and independent rail authority. Not only would it serve to give us streetcars or LRT and commuter rail, it would also take care of the freight capacity issues at the port.

Thanks for joining in

Ocklawaha

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »
The Sprinter has only been operating for about a month and it is already encountering problems: too many riders.

Bikes clog rush-hour Sprinter trains

NORTH COUNTY ---- In the end, it may be bikes that push the North County Transit District to add a second car to weekday Sprinter trains that are becoming increasingly crowded during afternoon commutes.

Take a ride between Oceanside and Escondido on any given afternoon between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. and the back half of most Sprinter trains look like rolling bike shops.

On a west-bound train at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, bikes were stacked in a three-deep heap against a long row of fold-up seats. More bike riders stood in the aisles and doorways, holding handlebars as muttering passengers threaded their way through the mess.

"See all these people standing up?" asked regular Sprinter rider Chris Abenojar of Vista. "It's like this every day, they need to add another car like right now."

Transit district officials say they are aware of the problem, but are not yet ready to add a second Sprinter car during week-day service, which would double the number of seats available for passengers and also the amount of space to store bikes.

Full Article:
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/05/05/news/coastal/oceanside/zf76e4256ebfecf458825743d005ae19.txt

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:14:52 AM »
If only we were so unlucky to have this problem.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:34:45 AM »
Well its obvious that we should stick with BRT.  Charlotte, Salt Lake City and the Sprinter prove that rail brings gets more people out of their cars.  Its much easier operating half empty buses and we can secure more federal funding since it costs twice as much.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »
Crowded trains mean you'll have a greater potential of touching other people... gross!