Author Topic: Downtown Beautification: Orlando  (Read 11931 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Beautification: Orlando
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:01:37 AM »
Downtown Beautification: Orlando

Orlando wants to have a "big city" downtown. While not there yet, it's well on the way.  Over the last decade, the skyline has doubled in size and the number of downtown residents has increased to 12,000.  From Bus Rapid Transit and commuter rail to allowing billboards, sidewalk dining and attracting suburban colleges to invest in the core, the elements of urbanism that Jacksonville continues to struggle to embrace are finding a way to flourish in this urban setting. Nevertheless, what really stands out is the high level of service applied to keeping the streets clean and public spaces well landscaped and maintained.  Metro Jacksonville wants you to see for yourself. Here is a brief look at the streets of downtown Orlando.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-sep-downtown-beautification-orlando

vicupstate

Re: Downtown Beautification: Orlando
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:39 AM »
I like how you have started numbering the pictures.  It looks like the post-recession era is upon Orlando.  I hope it is coming to JAX soon.

The digital sign that is on the Amway Center is not off-premises, so I would think something comparable would be allowed in JAX at the Veterans Arena or Everbank field, etc. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:23 AM »
When down in Orlando for The Who last year, ate at a nice restaurant in the old Kress building (#17) - they've kept some of the old architectural features.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:31:45 AM »
Downtown Orlando's CRA is a major reason for its continued success.  It generates around $30 million/year that is reinvested back into the central business district.  Things this money funds annually include downtown BRT operations and the maintenance of public spaces and streetscape areas.  By comparison, our Northbank CRA is currently subsidized by the General Fund and the Southbank CRA generates $1.5 million annually.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
Nice photo set.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »
The long building in the front of the creative village also houses UCF's Master of Fine Arts Students. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »

The digital sign that is on the Amway Center is not off-premises, so I would think something comparable would be allowed in JAX at the Veterans Arena or Everbank field, etc.

What's seen in these early 20th century shots of downtown Jacksonville can't be done today.

Amazingly, we still have at least one of these old signs still left, at Laura and Monroe overlooking Hemming.  However, from my understanding the building owner can't do anything with it.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

avonjax

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »
Bottom line: Orlando has left us in the dust. 40+ years ago Orlando was a  sleepy little central Florida town and Jacksonville was somewhat vibrant and alive. Now Orlando is heading rapidly into becoming a really cool downtown and Jacksonville is constantly struggling. But for me you can say the same thing about every Florida city compared to Jacksonville.

vicupstate

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:08 AM »
As far as the signs go, aren't there two different regulations in play here?  There is the charter amendment, which I thought dealt with off-premises advertising, and the separate DT master plan which regulates signage in more detail but just for the urban core. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:18 AM »
When down in Orlando for The Who last year, ate at a nice restaurant in the old Kress building (#17) - they've kept some of the old architectural features.

I hung out for an hour or so at the KRES Chophouse bar....was in an older building with high ceilings...was that it?

MarkynFtl

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
Recently a friend of mine came to town and remarked on how dark the city is at night.  I remeber not that long ago, that nearly all of the tall buildings were lit at night in one way or another.  Wonder what happened?  Now downtown looks like a ghost-town during the day AND at night.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
Bottom line: Orlando has left us in the dust. 40+ years ago Orlando was a  sleepy little central Florida town...

40 years? Downtown Orlando was nothing 15ish years ago. Jax can do this in about the same time frame, we just need to get the stupid out!
Jags season ticket holder.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
Yes, most of Orlando's downtown development has occurred since the late 1990s.  I still believe Jacksonville's urban setting and history is superior.  I mean, you really can't get much better than that having the St. Johns River flowing through your heart and being the rail gateway to a state the size of Florida.  If we can get our act together, there's little reason not to expect great things to follow.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
^^ +1000 Jax downtown setting is pretty nice. Its just a matter of putting it altogether.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
Recently a friend of mine came to town and remarked on how dark the city is at night.  I remeber not that long ago, that nearly all of the tall buildings were lit at night in one way or another.  Wonder what happened?  Now downtown looks like a ghost-town during the day AND at night.
I have been saything this for a couple of years now. I know that some of the lights go out after midnight, but for our city to look so dark, is just sad. Couldn't imagine the BofA tower in Atlanta not being lit at night. Sometimes it is the simplest things.