Author Topic: Jacksonville's Next Historic District: Brooklyn?  (Read 18016 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville's Next Historic District: Brooklyn?
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:11 AM »
Jacksonville's Next Historic District: Brooklyn?

One of Jacksonville's oldest African-American urban neighborhoods, Brooklyn was platted shortly after the Civil War by Miles Price, a Confederate veteran, in 1868. Unfortunately, with its buildings coming down one by one, it's slowly disappearing from existence. Now, if the Jacksonville Historic Commission has their way, a few blocks of the neighborhood will become Jacksonville's next historic district.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-sep-jacksonvilles-next-historic-district-brooklyn

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: Jacksonville's Next Historic District: Brooklyn?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »
Probably a good thing given our addiction to demolition.  I worry about the way historic areas are dealt with in Jax like a picture in a book that just stays the same instead of letting an area live respectful of the past. Such as the Jacksonville historical society not letting the skyway interact with the Jacksonville terminal (Prime Osborn ).
Lenny Smash

Jumpinjack

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:23:25 AM »
Shameful that we didn't try to promote protection of this neighborhood before most of it was demolished. Now that there is so much public infatuation for new, bigger, upscale plaza and shopping, how much of a chance is there for small decaying and poorer homes and community buildings.

strider

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »
Frankly, as long as the Chief of Municipal Code Compliance is Kimberly Scott or one of like mind, it makes little difference whether it has a historic designation or not.  In fact, the designation may make it worse if it brings federal funding that she can use "to remove blight" by demolishing the structures.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »
Most of the buildings that make up this historic district aren't in good shape. For many, the remaining architecture also isn't on the level of what one would find in early upscale neighborhoods like Riverside/Avondale, Springfield and San Marco.  It would be scary if federal funds could be used to take out the rest of what remains.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14:51 AM »
Perfect choice for the 'NEXT' Jacksonville Historic District, considering 98% of it has already been blown to atoms.

You have to wonder how the small remaining commercial strip along the old Myrtle Avenue streetcar line between the subway (Dennis Street) and Price Street missed this plan? Absolutely some of the best old building stock in the city in those few blocks.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:21:35 AM by Ocklawaha »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
^It probably missed because it's on the other side of McCoys Creek with a couple of blocks of nothing in between.  Unfortunately, so much has already been destroyed that it's pretty hard to pull together a cluster of historic structures within a compact setting to create a historic district.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

John P

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
This needs property owners permission right?

Jumpinjack

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
^ As I remember, not too long ago many property owners in the area were very upset with the plans to demo most of their community. Anyone know how those community meetings were resolved or was it just a lost cause from the beginning?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
I'm not sure but I do remember residents mentioning their concerns around the time of the Riverside Avenue widening. Looking back, I'd say it was a lost cause on one hand because most of Brooklyn is gone today. However, the grassroots advocacy for preservation has grown, which will ultimately lead to the preservation of other areas.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »
Seems like pushing Dora across the creek to Myrtle near Swan Street would open up a whole bunch of possibilities.

Brooklyn Park expansion along McCoy's Creek
Tie the historic fabric together
A bit of historic streetscape
Preservation of the little market at 1023 Dora
Potential Heritage Streetcar route

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
I believe the proposed boundary started off larger and was reduced to its current size. I suspect that was done to make it fit district criteria while also getting it approved.

GoldenEst82

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
*sigh*
Every time I drive down myrtle, past those buildings, I dream of them for a week.
The building in the second pic is my dream restoration!

But, you know.... Money.
It is better to travel well, than to arrive. - The Buddah
Follow me on Instagram!

Steve Ducharme

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
Just so we're clear here what you are wanting to preserve is the architecture and structures (which is fine I guess).  No one wanting to save these places actually gives a hoot about the people who live(d) there.  It's all just potential backdrop for restaurants ans coffee shops.

GoldenEst82

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
I really would not care about who lived there before I did- or what it was before- it would be mine.
I would renovate it to use as a family home on the top floor, and for my SO to have his auto business on the bottom.
If there was room left- a studio/storage space for myself.

We could work and live in the same building- keeping our overhead down.
This is a dream of mine- but awesome buildings like there are disappearing, and I fear that by the time I am in a position to do this- it will all be gone.
It is better to travel well, than to arrive. - The Buddah
Follow me on Instagram!