Author Topic: St. Johns Village Project Shrinks!  (Read 13926 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
St. Johns Village Project Shrinks!
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
St. Johns Village Project Shrinks!

Due to concerns of their project being out of scale with the surrounding Riverside/Avodale neighborhood, the developers of St. Johns Village recently released a revised site plan for consideration.  Here's a look at the latest version of the proposed Fishweir Creek development.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-aug-st-johns-village-project-shrinks

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: St. Johns Village Project Shrinks!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »
It probably won't appease those with density concerns because they want Oakleaf, Julington Creek style parking lots, express roads and gentrification.  They just like older homes and refuse to acknowledge that they live in an urban core neighborhood that is supposed to be dense.
Lenny Smash

I-10east

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
I hate the whole idea of tearing down the Commander, just renovate the damn thing. I'll be okay with them building what they wanna build around the Commander, but keep it standing; I know that they don't have that in mind. People talk about turning an atmosphere of an urban tower into suburban-mania, this project is a prime example of it.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
I hate the whole idea of tearing down the Commander, just renovate the damn thing. I'll be okay with them building what they wanna build around the Commander, but keep it standing; I know that they don't have that in mind. People talk about turning an atmosphere of an urban tower into suburban-mania, this project is a prime example of it.
It's to bad the Commander couldn't be called a landmark? I would also hate to see this building be torn down. :(

grimss

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
At Planning Commission today, the project was approved with multiple conditions, including an increased parking requirement and an obligation to put $800K into an escrow account for dredging.

The next hearing will be before the Land Use & Zoning Commission. The project, as presently approved, includes 260 apartments (178 residential units on the Commander parcel, 82 units on the SJV--Loop parcel) and 10,000 s.f. commercial (including a 200-seat restaurant). Most recent plans are reviewable at http://commander-rezoning.com.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Link broken - here is correct link from the other thread:
http://commander-rezoning.com/

Rumor is that The Loop is going back into the center.

grimss

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:44 AM »
/\ Thanks for posting the corrected link.

The developer disclosed that the commercial component of the project will have 10,600 s.f. of commercial space, iincluding a 5,600 s.f. restaurant of no more than 200 seats.

grimss

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
The project was supposed to advance to LUZ this Tuesday, but just received word that the hearing has been postponed until Dec. 3.

Know Growth

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »
....August 2014.........with Planning & Zoning proceedings accomplished, development order/vesting in place for months,some have asked "What's going on with The Project?".
Fishweir neighborhood community organization scheduled to meet with Councilman Love over the question, curiosity.

Those in the Know indicate that the scope of development might shrink considerably due to, interestingly enough, a healthier construction business environment-and escalating construction costs.
(And as if seemingly collapsing under all of the proceedings,a sink hole has emerged at a former wetland section-add it to the bill!  8)  )

Emphasis might be on rehab of the Commander, much lessened expansion.
Which actually is a disappointment for many,who were looking forward to height reduction,general improvement as hammered out in part by the citizens,community organization.
Going back to the drawing board so to speak,formal re-zone proceedings to garner greater scale/development cost ratio is not an option.Apparently the Project partners can live with and opt for the downsizing financially.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:12:06 PM by Know Growth »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:17 AM »
Thanks, KG, I was just wondering about that project the other day.  Keep us posted on the meeting and other developments.

Know Growth

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
Thanks, KG, I was just wondering about that project the other day.  Keep us posted on the meeting and other developments.

Perhaps. I shared one of five different scenarios.

Know Growth

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »

9-18-2014

Many await update

8)

mtraininjax

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »
I don't think its going to go on. Hugo's has signed a 3 year least onsite, and the owners will owe them $30,000 if made to move during that time for the renovations made to the space. Loop signed a 1-year lease.

There is discussion of EPA related issues in the muck under the creekside structure. Plus Balanky is rumored to have left the project as the EPA related issue has made funding a real issue.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Know Growth

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Yea Yea Yea Boring..............Mike B. influence all the way out to the mouth of the Creek....former wetland,now decidedly consigned to Private Ownership...and therefore,just a few feet outside RAPO boundary.
Great story
For some reason,even the Miami Herald's Carl Hiaasen in un-interested.   ;) Even in the face of area dock building that has subjugated Creek restoration.....skip "EPA".....how about a little ole Federal/State "Streamline" episode,right there about where a certain state DEP official officially resides???? Yea,why in the world would Carl Hiaasen sniff around?

Sniff.....A ChooooYY!!

Fire truck sinks in former wetland sink hole......

Jim Love's representative Kevin  suggested that the Rezone application "Delay" played a part. Screw that. Three (3! 3! 3!) parades in front of the public ,Kent Campus was telling.RAP dissertation was,well, Masterfully RAP. Applicant could have fired Big Shot Attorney and hired me for a fraction of the.....well........Time.

Anything regarding the Creek is irrelevant......a position I stated early on.

What a Crock

Apparently,few look here to Learn What's happenin'

After all,it's been ages.......

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:13:16 PM by Know Growth »

Know Growth

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »

It was nothing other than a request placed before the Citizen's government.
Again and again................ 8)

Onward!