Author Topic: Jacksonville’s Pacific War - Part 1  (Read 1811 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville’s Pacific War - Part 1
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:06:46 AM »
Jacksonville’s Pacific War - Part 1

Metro Jacksonville's Robert Mann explains how Jacksonville and Northeast Florida helped win a war in the Pacific: a salute to our veterans and our home front population and industry.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-aug-jacksonvilles-pacific-war-part-1

HisBuffPVB

Re: Jacksonville’s Pacific War - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
great article, very interesting, my Father saw the burning of the tanker off the coast of Jacksonville Beach, talked about it the rest of his life, he was a former Navy man at the time. Wonder who decided the names of the Liberty ships, note the founder of the Louisville Courier Journal, Henry Watterson, the great Kentucky humorist, Irwin S. Cobb, it was very interesting to see all the names. Similar kind of thing happened during WW I, my grandfather was the comptroller at the concrete boat yard during that period. As I read about this period in our countries history, in addition to what was happening on the battlefields, the industrial capacity and production within the United States is staggering in its size. And it continued to grow as the war progressed. I really appreciate what the writer has done to bring this to us.

Redbaron616

Great Article!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the info and pictures. I really enjoyed reading about what was going on in Jacksonville during the war.