Author Topic: Draft of Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan Released  (Read 3740 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Draft of Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan Released
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:42 AM »
Draft of Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan Released

Now available for review, the North Florida TPO wants to know what you think about the draft of their Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-aug-draft-of-bicycle-and-pedestrian-master-plan-released

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Draft of Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan Released
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:25:38 AM »
I didn't even know there was a survey :/

I'm surprised that southside blvd wasn't a "hot spot" in the survey.

With the amount of space on that road they could do something really cool for cyclists.
Jags season ticket holder.

tufsu1

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »
the survey was fairly well publicized, and they did get back something like 2000.  The workshops in each county; howefver, were not well attended

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
It seems the City's poorest neighborhoods are not well represented at all. Lack of internet response means they get least noticed or served? Would like to see more of a balance. It isnt all about bike lanes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
^Yeah, I noticed that as well. Especially, since those neighborhoods have a higher percentage of their population that is more dependent on alternative forms of mobility. On the other hand, the urban street grid makes it pretty easy to get around and avoid crossing wide arterials and interchanges.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
True Lake, but there are some major pedestian improvements that could be made along several corridors in those areas.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
I agree.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:21:36 AM »
After reading the study, I find it odd that the only recommended way to respond to any needs was to either allocate more roadway, modify a median or widen a sidewalk.  Many substantial and effective bike and pedestrian capacities nationally have been extended using utility right of ways.

Looking at this picture below, you wouldn't know that there is a set of 440kV service lines running just next to this. Through a master agreement with the local utility, they have a right to trim the trees away from the lines, but they worked out an agreement where it was done in a way that maintained the natural aspect of the trail.

Utilities have liked it because it improves access to their service vehicles. The local highway authority maintains the paths and covers any indemnity for personal injuries. Also makes future construction of bike/pedestrian overpasses much easier to engineer due to non-conflict with large signaled intersections.

It doesn't have to align right next to a highway to be eligible for fed funds. This study assumes that the only improvement for access is right next to the very things that cause the problems....as the study showed, cars!

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 02:32:31 AM »
Very true. Where are those pictures from, spuwho?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
Thinking about it, the utility corridors through the Southside would get you pretty close to most of that area's major destinations.

AntigoneStarr

• I am who I am.
    • Home of Antigone Starr! <3
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
Something awesome I saw in Tacoma was the Scott Pierson trail - it paralleled the interstate which paralleled a bunch of different shopping centers. The trail had entrances in and out of many of the back parking areas for a lot of shopping centers. We could link Beach Blvd, Atlantic Blvd, Southside Blvd, perhaps Butler Blvd and potentially others this way, just by using those parking lots. The bike lanes that have been painted in on Beach Blvd and San Jose are just... well, I feel as if they may cause more accidents, harassment, and anger than relieve any problems. I'm referencing the lanes in which the bike lane is in between the right turn lane and the right lane of the road, thus surrounding the cycle lane with cars. This, does not make sense to me, though a bike lane down San Jose all the way to the Mandarin area does make sense... it should switch over to a dedicated path separated from the road when San Jose turns into a zoo just north of I-295.

As for the smaller roads and neighborhoods, sharrows do the trick, especially on the roads that don't even have lines going down them but that seems and almost unnecessary waste of paint.

Something that I've not seen addressed is the lack of education on cycling laws and rules - many drivers still fully believe that bicycles do not belong on the road at any circumstance, and many cyclists fully believe that riding against traffic is legal and safe. This must be addressed. It's supposed to be about sharing the road, not dominating the road with one type of transport.

spuwho

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
Very true. Where are those pictures from, spuwho?

From various web sites, but I can tell you where the pictures are located.

#1: Great Western Trail, between Carol Stream and West Chicago, IL
#2: Illinois Prairie Path, Aurora Branch, Wheaton, IL
#3: Jack Knuepfer Bridge, Illinois Prairie Path, Geneva Spur
#4: Forest Street Bridge, Illinois Prairie Path, Lombard IL
#5: Des Plaines River Bridge, Illinois Prairie Path, Maywood, IL

#5 was a big deal because it was the final link in a 76 mile system to a major mass transit hub. The Chicago "L" Blue Line Station in Forest Park, which is to the right of the bridge. I know of people who rode their bikes from Elmhurst on the path to the Blue Line station and then rode the L into the Loop.

I also know that many people who use the Elgin Branch of the IPP to walk/ride to the Wheaton Metra West Line Station to catch their train. The path runs right in front of the station.

Illinois Prairie Path
http://www.ipp.org/
Great Western Trail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Trail_(Illinois)
The Grand Illinois Trail
http://www.gitride.com/
DuPage Regional Trail System
http://www.dupageco.org/EDP/Bikeways_and_Trails/1238/

These places are familiar to me because I have actually ridden and walked on them. It took years for the government to embrace them even though they had acquired most of the ROW's in 1963. But in the late 80's they finally saw how these paths provided not just recreational space, but they all led to major transit hubs. This led to a comprehensive plan to connect the various trails so one could technically reach any major transit hub via walking or biking.

Today, many people can't imagine what it was like when they didn't exist.

Every time I see this wide swath of ROW for JEA powerlines going relatively unused throughout the area, I can only think how they would make excellent trails and provide superior connectivity.