Author Topic: left on mallory - A Writers Community for Jacksonville  (Read 1644 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
left on mallory - A Writers Community for Jacksonville
« on: July 27, 2013, 03:11:59 AM »
left on mallory - A Writers Community for Jacksonville

Local writer Jared Rypkema talks about moving to Jacksonville and the inspiration behind left on mallory, the writers community in Riverside.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-jul-left-on-mallory-a-writers-community-for-jacksonville

strider

Re: left on mallory - A Writers Community for Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 01:25:23 PM »
I sort of disagree on one point.  There are writers in Jacksonville, here on this very forum, that are indeed influencing what happens in this city. Jacksonville's story is being told daily, in real time.  It may be a different way of writing about a city and events than "traditional" writing but it is influencing people to facilitate change and will become an even bigger force for change in the future.

And the idea of getting talented people , writers in this case, together is always a good one.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
Good luck with your project, Jared...it sounds like you have a lot to contribute.

TheCat

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
@Strider, good point! The writers in this forum are creating an incredible story. Examples of threads that go back 5 years that document varying perspectives on global, national and, of course, local issues are priceless and incredibly valuable to the fabric of our city. I've been influenced by multiples of writers on this forum.

You know, it's almost like someone has to write about the writers for the value to be realized. The story of the story tellers has to be told otherwise we will miss incredible or even subtle changes in our cultural context.

I think we have made significant strides in valuing our local visual artists and now the coming spotlight on jacksonville's writers...I think it can be explosive.

jrypkema

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I think @TheCat said it well: it does take someone to call out the movement for it to be brought into public awareness and that's what we're looking to do.

Thanks again!