Author Topic: Jacksonville International Airport's Arts & Media Day  (Read 1619 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville International Airport's Arts & Media Day
« on: July 08, 2013, 03:10:54 AM »
Jacksonville International Airport's Arts & Media Day

The Jacksonville Aviation Authority (JAA) was established in 2001 by the Florida legislature and is governed by a seven-member board.  The JAA operates Jacksonville International Airport, which is funded through user fees instead of local taxes.  Quietly, the Jacksonville International Airport Arts Commission has worked diligently to create an impressive and award-winning public arts program throughout the airport where many visitors experience our community for the first time. Taking advantage of an invitation from Tucker/Hall's Account Coordinator, Megan Dodd, Metro Jacksonville had the opportunity to participate in the airport's first-ever Arts and Media Day tour.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-jul-jacksonville-international-airports-arts-media-day

jaxlore

Re: Jacksonville International Airport's Arts & Media Day
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
They definitely have it right at JIA I wish our own city leaders could take a look and bring that same breadth of creativity to the city. They have started with the murals etc but its needs more, a lot more.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »
We must thank Cabeth Cornelius for much of this.  I had a show at the Airport about a year ago.  It was amazing the kind of exposure I got out of showing at an airport.  Really opened my eyes to the possibilities for artists taking place at airports. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
The amount of art they had on display caught me off guard.  One can only imagine our image if the rest of the city offered similar quality in public art.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

barkes1

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:27 PM »
Why does JAX claim to be the world leader in the arts... Obviously they have never been through the Atlanta airport to name one of many that contain far more regional art or art period than JAX. They need to clean the ceiling tiles where the dust and dirt buildup is so visible there are dark markings on the ceilings of this relatively New Terminal...

johnny_simpatico

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »
Unfortunately, our low-tax, low-services city doesn't have spare money to lavish on art. Airports, as cash cows, are in a different position.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »
We have money. We just spend it on things deemed as having higher importance. For example, we've spent a good sum on courthouses, overpasses, subsidizing sprawl and downtown parking garages in recent years.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »
Why does JAX claim to be the world leader in the arts... Obviously they have never been through the Atlanta airport to name one of many that contain far more regional art or art period than JAX. They need to clean the ceiling tiles where the dust and dirt buildup is so visible there are dark markings on the ceilings of this relatively New Terminal...

I don't know...how come Erin Burnett from CNN was so impressed with JIA that she mentioned it on air....I mean, surely she flies in and out of Atlanta regularly, right?