Author Topic: Ray LaHood Announces 568 Applications for TIGER Grants  (Read 5346 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Ray LaHood Announces 568 Applications for TIGER Grants
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
Ray LaHood Announces 568 Applications for TIGER Grants

The Jacksonville Transportation Authority has submitted a TIGER grant application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to obtain funding for the Skyway's expansion to Brooklyn.  However, they won't be alone in their request for a piece of the grant's $474 million. 568 applications, totaling more than $9 billion have been received.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-jun-ray-lahood-announces-568-applications-for-tiger-grants-

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Ray LaHood Announces 568 Applications for TIGER Grants
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
How much are they requesting?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm really excited to see that JTA is putting this project on the table and is actively looking for a funding source.  IMO, this line with the two proposed stations is a no-brainer.

How many residents would the skyway then feed to the proposed retail development?  A couple thousand?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
Potentially, 2 to 3k from the North and Southbank.  That number significantly grows when you toss in downtown employees.  On the flip side of things, you're also connecting residents and workers in Brooklyn/Riverside Avenue with the North and Southbanks.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »
How much are they requesting?

Not for sure but it would have to be at least $10 million.  That's the minimum required for a TIGER grant request.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »
Potentially, 2 to 3k from the North and Southbank.  That number significantly grows when you toss in downtown employees.  On the flip side of things, you're also connecting residents and workers in Brooklyn/Riverside Avenue with the North and Southbanks.

That is pretty substantial.  Add to that the Riverside Trolly and the future streetcar line running through Brooklyn....  The potential for that tiny Brooklyn node on the river is enormous.

dougskiles

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
I wonder if JTA's chances would go up for this TIGER grant if they offered to give up the BRT grant?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
Different funding pots.  I doubt our position on BRT would have significant impact either way.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:18 PM »
I'm really excited to see that JTA is putting this project on the table and is actively looking for a funding source.  IMO, this line with the two proposed stations is a no-brainer.

How many residents would the skyway then feed to the proposed retail development?  A couple thousand?

It is my understanding they are only proposing a single station, either at the corner of their maintenance yard, or maybe in front of the suburban Brooklyn shopping center.  One monkey wrench - where does the local share (50%?) come from?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
The TIGER grant amount can't exceed 80% of the total project cost.  So at a minimum, we'll have to come up with at least $2.5 million locally.

Also, given the minimal amount required for a TIGER grant, I'm hoping it at least extends a bit to cover up some of Fuqua's surface parking.  If so, the Skyway station would essentially become the urban street edge for this development, with restaurants/retail on either end.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:07:49 PM by thelakelander »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Although the nominal TIGER match is 80/20, I understand the Feds like larger local shares.  It may work in JTA's favor to be asking for a small amount - might get the "crumbs" left over from a few big grants.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
We're fortunate with this project in that most of the segment is already built. That will be a huge cost saver.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
Although the nominal TIGER match is 80/20, I understand the Feds like larger local shares.  It may work in JTA's favor to be asking for a small amount - might get the "crumbs" left over from a few big grants.

I think they requested something like $12 million and the total project budget is closer to $18 million

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
On First Coast News at 11.  JTA wants $20 million for Skyway expansion.  Is it a waste of your money?

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »
First Coast News is a waste of 2 TV stations