Author Topic: An Example for Regency's Rebirth?  (Read 5005 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
An Example for Regency's Rebirth?
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:31 AM »
An Example for Regency's Rebirth?

A look at Orlando's Fashion Square Mall's plans to rebrand itself and secure its position in Central Florida's competitive retail scene may offer an important lesson for Jacksonville's Regency Square Mall.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-may-an-example-for-regencys-rebirth

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: An Example for Regency's Rebirth?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:28:26 AM »
Something needs to be done. I've heard that Sears will now be closing instead of being a stand alone building. With the high density of Arlington, there's no reason that Regency should be suffering.
Jags season ticket holder.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
for the most part things around the around the mall seem to do ok. the Lowes, Home Depot, Bealls, Bed Bath Beyound, Best Buy, Target, PetSmart, etc. yes some national retailers have closed, but those are nation wide closings. I just dont see how that mall area can't be redeveloped into something that would attract people.

duvaldude08

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
Something needs to be done. I've heard that Sears will now be closing instead of being a stand alone building. With the high density of Arlington, there's no reason that Regency should be suffering.

Sears has been struggling nationally, so I suspect the one at Regency will get the ax eventually. Regency just needs to redevelop and rebrand. They will be okay. The back to back openings of The Towne Center and River City is what I believe put a complete strain on Regency.
Jaguars 2.0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
^That, the impact of the recession on national retailers and the need for a makeover.  It's still a viable retail site.  However, there may not be a need for the amount of retail space it currently has available.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tlemans

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
Can anyone contact Regency in order for them to take a look at what is going on at Fashion Square Mall in Orlando?

tlemans

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »
What stores and restaurants would you like to see in Regency to make it come alive again? My first suggestion would be a BB King's Blues Club like the one in Pointe Orlando. The Town Center doesn't have any restaurants with live entertainment that I know of this would set Regency apart.

spuwho

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:27:03 PM »
What stores and restaurants would you like to see in Regency to make it come alive again? My first suggestion would be a BB King's Blues Club like the one in Pointe Orlando. The Town Center doesn't have any restaurants with live entertainment that I know of this would set Regency apart.

Whisky River?

Mike D

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
Another example of how to rebrand and upgrade a property is Cumberland Mall in Cobb county just outside Atlanta.  This was another Sears/Penney's/Macy's type mall that was becoming dated and tired.   It was not as challenged as Regency, but was definitely in danger of being left behind.  The developer demolished a portion of the mall, added restaurants along the lines of Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's, and, perhaps most important, added a Costco on the outlying portion of the mall. 

FSBA

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
As I've said before, Regency Mall needs to give people a reason to go there instead of SJTC or RCMP. The problem is, what stores would fit in Jacksonville but aren't already either open or opening in those locations?
I support meaningless jingoistic cliches

copperfiend

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
Another example of how to rebrand and upgrade a property is Cumberland Mall in Cobb county just outside Atlanta.  This was another Sears/Penney's/Macy's type mall that was becoming dated and tired.   It was not as challenged as Regency, but was definitely in danger of being left behind.  The developer demolished a portion of the mall, added restaurants along the lines of Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's, and, perhaps most important, added a Costco on the outlying portion of the mall. 

My brother in law lived in Smyrna, and we used to visit that mall often. One big difference is the average household income around the Cumberland Mall versus the income around the Regency Mall.

Timkin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
Regency has to be revamped.  It is in death throes now, unfortunately.

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »

My brother in law lived in Smyrna, and we used to visit that mall often. One big difference is the average household income around the Cumberland Mall versus the income around the Regency Mall.

exactly...and that said, from what I hear, Cumberland Mall is on the way back down again

Redbaron616

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
While the Orlando Fashion Square Re-Development is interesting, it is important to remember that the jury is still out on if this re-development will be a success or not.

Malls are nice, but many of them carry the same old brands. How about some unique shops that are by local craftsmen/artisans/shopkeepers? Something to break up the monolithic mall experience.