Author Topic: SunGard AvantGard expanding in downtown Jacksonville  (Read 4153 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
SunGard AvantGard expanding in downtown Jacksonville
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
SunGard AvantGard expanding in downtown Jacksonville

Jacksonville Mayor Alvin Brown and officials at JAXUSA Partnership have just announced SunGard AvantGard's intentions to expand in downtown Jacksonville. The move will generate about $4.4 million in capital investment and up to 170 high-wage jobs.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-may-sungard-avantgard-expanding-in-downtown-jacksonville

duvaldude08

Re: SunGard AvantGard expanding in downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
They force the other teanets out after being in the building for 20+ years and then spot has sat vacant for about a year and a half. Im glad to see something is going down there.
Jaguars 2.0

5PointsGuy

• Jaguars!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
4 Tickets! Section 440!

PeeJayEss

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2013-05-04/story/despite-incentives-jacksonville-companies-never-created-thousands-high

Just felt like being a bit of a downer. Hopefully this works out for the best.

Not really a big deal there though. They didn't create the jobs and didn't receive the incentives. At least we didn't give up incentives to companies that didn't create jobs (which is exactly what I expected when I clicked on the link). If they're consolidating to DT, its a win for Jax whether they create more jobs or not. If they didn't create more jobs, we'd be getting them downtown without paying out on the incentives, if I understand the package correctly.

Anywho, does anyone know the location of the offices that are being relocated? This is the Prudential building right? What was their vacancy like? And how many people are moving to the SB immediately? I only saw the 170 new jobs, but how many current jobs?

jaxlore

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
This is actually a seperate division from the one office located on Prudential, they are staying. I believe they are off of Phillips Highway somewhere in an industrial type park.

duvaldude08

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2013-05-04/story/despite-incentives-jacksonville-companies-never-created-thousands-high

Just felt like being a bit of a downer. Hopefully this works out for the best.

Not really a big deal there though. They didn't create the jobs and didn't receive the incentives. At least we didn't give up incentives to companies that didn't create jobs (which is exactly what I expected when I clicked on the link). If they're consolidating to DT, its a win for Jax whether they create more jobs or not. If they didn't create more jobs, we'd be getting them downtown without paying out on the incentives, if I understand the package correctly.

Anywho, does anyone know the location of the offices that are being relocated? This is the Prudential building right? What was their vacancy like? And how many people are moving to the SB immediately? I only saw the 170 new jobs, but how many current jobs?

The vacancy here actually is pretty low. In between Prudential, Interline and the Army Core there is very little space. However, they forced Cafe Plaza out awhile back and it was rumored to be converted into office space. So I assume thats why its on the picture.
Jaguars 2.0

urbaknight

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
I'd rather see them come to the northbank, tenants are needed there much more. However I love to see those god-awful suburban carcentric office parks empty out like Downtown did for 50 years. Take that southside!!! I hope you can finally realize what we urbanists have had to endure.

mbwright

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »
If this is simply a move to a new location then why the need for "Legislation will be introduced to City Council today enabling SunGard to consolidate and expand its business."  ?  Sounds like more to this.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
The vacancy here actually is pretty low. In between Prudential, Interline and the Army Core there is very little space. However, they forced Cafe Plaza out awhile back and it was rumored to be converted into office space. So I assume thats why its on the picture.

What is Cafe Plaza? Is that the annex across the street from Prudential (connected by indoor bridge) where the cafeteria is?

duvaldude08

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:14:34 PM »

What is Cafe Plaza? Is that the annex across the street from Prudential (connected by indoor bridge) where the cafeteria is?

Cafe Plaza was in the Prudential building ground level. What shown on the picture was its outside entrance. Directly across from the MOSH
Jaguars 2.0

Shwaz

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »

Cafe Plaza was in the Prudential building ground level. What shown on the picture was its outside entrance. Directly across from the MOSH

DD08 - I'm pretty sure they will be taking one of the empty floors vs. the old cafeteria / gift shop. I'm at the Prudential building too and know for certain that there is a decent amount of open space.
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

spuwho

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:32 PM »
SunGard has been known for years in tech circles as a hosted disaster services company. They host other stuff now as well as software development.

The reason stated in Jacksonville.com was that they wanted to get closer to network resources in the city core.

Honestly, if they want that, they should move in and around the ATT CO complex on the northbank. That is where most of the NAP's are. The other hosted zones are in and around Philips Highway due to the extensive telecom fiber ROW's along the FEC.

dtgaff

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
I interviewed with them a month or two ago. This division used to be Payformance before SG purchased them. They provide private label payment services to a variety of firms, kinda like bill pay from your bank. They want to be DT to get their name on a building that will be visible as opposed to the office park off of AC Skinner and they needed room for growth. They plan on a lot of growth in the Jax office which will essentially be their only southeastern US presence.

duvaldude08

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
The vacancy here actually is pretty low. In between Prudential, Interline and the Army Core there is very little space. However, they forced Cafe Plaza out awhile back and it was rumored to be converted into office space. So I assume that's why its on the picture.

DD08 - I'm pretty sure they will be taking one of the empty floors vs. the old cafeteria / gift shop. I'm at the Prudential building too and know for certain that there is a decent amount of open space.

The only reason I brought that up is because when they force Cafe Plaza out, Tom actually told me they were looking to convert it into office space and they told him and his wife they could not renew the lease. There is definitely space available through the building, but not a whole lot of it. It will be interesting to see where they go.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:42:22 PM by duvaldude08 »
Jaguars 2.0