Author Topic: JAX 2025: Calling all Visioneers!  (Read 4475 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
JAX 2025: Calling all Visioneers!
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »
JAX 2025: Calling all Visioneers!

The Jacksonville Community Council's (JCCI) community-owned initiative destined to create an implementable shared vision for Jacksonville moves to the next stage this weekend. This session will focus on creating strategies to implement the vision.  Here's a message about Saturday's event from the JCCI.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-jax-2025-calling-all-visioneers

tufsu1

Re: JAX 2025: Calling all Visioneers!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
for those of you who wanted more detail all along, Saturday is the meeting to attend!

Noone

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »
Can you post the 10 Target statements? I'm registered and for some reason it's not coming up.

Ben Warner

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:10:32 AM »
In no particular order:

In 2025, Jacksonville’s creative community fuels a vibrant arts and entertainment scene.
Art and culture is integrated into the fabric of Jacksonville, with creativity and innovation contributing to the economic vitality of our city. Jacksonville teems with artists and active audiences alike, with an abundance of options to experience and participate in the arts community. Jacksonville is known as a destination for international arts festivals, major sporting events, and world-class entertainment.

In 2025, Jacksonville is a place where people matter.
Front-porch friendliness and kindness inspire our service and philanthropy, as people are Jacksonville’s highest priority. We promote well-being among all citizens through all stages of life, connecting people to resources to ensure everyone has the opportunity to have their needs met, from earliest childhood through the dignity of aging. We retain the best of our small-town past in a metropolitan population.

In 2025, Jacksonville is a clean and green city.
Jacksonville is a national leader in sustainability, stewardship, preservation and conservation by integrating environmental ethics in our everyday life. Our naturally lush environment is preserved, as the St. Johns River and its tributaries, the ocean and beaches, and Jacksonville’s green spaces are accessible, interconnected, and interwoven into the fabric of our community.

In 2025, Jacksonville thrives due to exemplary governance.
Well-informed citizens actively engage to solve problems together with outstanding elected officials. Jacksonville’s diverse representative leadership is accessible, fiscally responsible, and accountable for delivering public services in a cost-efficient manner.  Our transparent, ethical public policy reinforces effective financial investment in common goods.

In 2025, Jacksonville’s vibrant economy is a global magnet for new business. 
Government and civic leadership actively promote the growth of diversified industry that keeps our cost of living low and quality of life high.  We work together to reduce poverty and promote financially secure families and individuals in stable and affordable housing. Our quality of life, business environment, and innovative, well-educated workforce foster an economically resilient community.

In 2025, Jacksonville is a regional hub of smooth transportation.
Our region is a recognized leader in our commitment to unrestricted movement, utilizing smart technology and connectivity to move people and cargo safely and efficiently. Sustainable multi-modal mass transit reliably connects the region’s unique neighborhoods, suburbs, downtown and the beaches, and is part of a network of transportation options including walking, biking, driving, and riding.

In 2025, Jacksonville’s distinctive neighborhoods flourish, along with our urban heart.
Jacksonville’s rich array of distinctive neighborhoods, each with its own historic character and irresistible experiences, are livable, walkable, and safe. They converge in the city’s dynamic central neighborhood, Downtown, which is a business powerhouse fostering an entrepreneurial spirit and our community’s 24-hour epicenter of first-class arts, culture, sports, and unique shopping opportunities.

In 2025, Jacksonville is among the healthiest communities in the country.
Our region’s health research and delivery industry catalyzes the economy and provides high quality and accessible healthcare to all, emphasizing prevention and wellness. Jacksonville residents have affordable care, including mental health, vision, and dental, and maintain a healthy lifestyle, with access to healthy food, safe housing, and neighborhoods built for active lifestyles.

In 2025, Jacksonville prioritizes excellence in education at every age.
Jacksonville challenges, prepares, and actively engages learners at every stage in life. We are a community of teachers who infuse learning and a sense of discovery in everyday activities within Jacksonville. Our schools and libraries are a hub, connecting caregivers with community resources so that the whole child thrives, competes in the global economy, and contributes fully here at home. 

In 2025, Jacksonville is renowned as a diverse and inclusive community.
Jacksonville welcomes all residents and visitors with dignity and respect.  Ours is a diverse community in many dimensions that carefully protects the rights of all its citizens, regardless of gender, gender identity, faith, race, ethnicity, age, disability, national origin, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, or marital or family status. 

urbaknight

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
I'm kinda starting to have doubts about this effort.

I sat at a transportation table and was talking about the many problems at JTA. One of the guys at my table said, let's stop talking about what's wrong, what should be and start talking about what is and what's possible.

I could feel the heat of his blood boilling as I rattled off their MANY PROBLEMS and BACKWARD THINKING that is plentiful at JTA. It turns out that the guy works for JTA.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but, I believe that JTA is planting employees at the meetings in order to protect their status qoe, and to water down and minimize the message of the general populous and their wishes.

I felt that we got nowhere in the area of transit at this last meeting. Hope I'm wrong. Did anyone else feel that that was the case?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
Lol, you were at my table.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
JTA has had no more than 3 people at any of the meetings.....which isn't exactly a dominant force in a room that has held between 250 and 750 for each meeting

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 03:32:04 PM »
Yeah, I doubt JTA has been planting people to tilt the transportation discussion.  Transportation people tend to be interested in......transportation.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
Ock and I were at a transportation table together, so I feel sorry for anyone that sat with us b/c they all got an earful about streetcars.

Besides ancillary talk about making the case that the Skyway should be extended at grade into San Marco with a no frills stop at Atlantic Blvd (not paid for by general taxpayers, but instead from TOD along that extension) and a no frills stop in Brooklyn that extends out at grade from the current maintenance facility... and Ock saying a sports complex extension was warranted (I did not agree as I think the cost and ridership simply would not make that extension effective, and would not spur any development... which is the biggest goal in my opinion)...

I was really excited about our overiding concept that our current transportation system suffers from a lack of connectivity... and that the overall solution would involve connecting our leaders together towards common goals

As such, we suggested that a commission be established that involved JTA, the Mayor, City Council President, the (future) bike/ped coordinator, public works, North Florida TPO, JaxPort and a few citizen advisors that would meet monthly and would be charged to work together on implementing seemless, integrated, multi-modal transportation solutions that meet the demands of our city's economic future.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
I mentioned something similar at my table.  I didn't go as far as suggesting a commission but I did express the need for better coordination from agencies such as JTA, JAA, JAXPORT, FDOT, etc. all the way to private entities like CSX, FEC, NS.  One thing I've noticed over the years is that every single entity has their own self contained master plan for what they want to do and rarely does any of it fit with the vision plans created by the residents of neighborhoods their projects will penetrate.  If we can just figure out how to better coordinate everyone's goals and resources, we'll be amazed with what we can accomplish through resources we already have available today.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »
If we can just figure out how to better coordinate everyone's goals and resources, we'll be amazed with what we can accomplish through resources we already have available today.

Agreed.  The work going in on San Marco right now is a pretty compelling example of what happens when various entities work together on implementing common projects simultaneously. 

Sounds like JTA has a tremendous opportunity right now to be at the forefront of connecting Downtown and Brooklyn together. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
I mentioned something similar at my table.  I didn't go as far as suggesting a commission but I did express the need for better coordination from agencies such as JTA, JAA, JAXPORT, FDOT, etc. all the way to private entities like CSX, FEC, NS.  One thing I've noticed over the years is that every single entity has their own self contained master plan for what they want to do and rarely does any of it fit with the vision plans created by the residents of neighborhoods their projects will penetrate.  If we can just figure out how to better coordinate everyone's goals and resources, we'll be amazed with what we can accomplish through resources we already have available today.

Maybe a shared Google Earth Project in which all of these plans are uploaded?

For visual display and understanding.....GIS.

tufsu1

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
I was really excited about our overiding concept that our current transportation system suffers from a lack of connectivity... and that the overall solution would involve connecting our leaders together towards common goals

Hopefully this meeting made you feel a bit better about the overall process

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
No, my opinion actually worsened. 

Noone

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
I'm kinda starting to have doubts about this effort.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but, I believe that JTA is planting employees at the meetings in order to protect their status qoe, and to water down and minimize the message of the general populous and their wishes.

I felt that we got nowhere in the area of transit at this last meeting. Hope I'm wrong. Did anyone else feel that that was the case?

I sat at the Clean and Green table the Environment and I'm still trying to wrap my head around Envoironmental Ethics. Are you kidding and we just fired Vince Seibold for his voicing a concern during a Public meeting. What a joke. Bring back Vince!

And at the very first JCCI Vision meeting a JTA guy stood up and said we need a tax increase. Is everyone super stoked about the quarter million dollar bailout package for Blaylock by the JTA Board?

I've got huge concerns. Will share more later. In the meantime Planning a RICO paddle for a conspiracy tour Downtown and an open invitation to any FBI interns. extra bonus if you have your fishing license and we'll take it to the brand new No Fishing signs that was never before Waterways. Anybody want to write a check to 2009-442 the Artificial Reef Trust Fund and the 6 permitted reefs south of the Fuller Warren? I will deliver it personally on your behalf.

Spoke with my district representation and the words are not good for Dist. 4 and the total crushing of the Public Trust. There is no other way to put it. The Vision is Dark. but I'm Positive!

I am Downtown and why you aren't.