Author Topic: Voices of Southern Rock: Ron Eckerman  (Read 4153 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Voices of Southern Rock: Ron Eckerman
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:40:05 AM »
Voices of Southern Rock:  Ron Eckerman

Ron Eckerman, tour manager of Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1974-1977, recently wrote a book about his experience. "Turn It Up" tells the story of "Love, Life, and Death, Southern Style."    He includes it all:  the triumphs, the failures, the glory, the heartaches, and the magic of those heady days in the mid-70s.  Metro Jacksonville's Gloria DeVall recently had the opportunity to ask Ron some questions about his book and his days with the band.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-voices-of-southern-rock-ron-eckerman

InnerCityPressure

Re: Voices of Southern Rock: Ron Eckerman
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
I was waiting for a question linking Skynyrd to Jacksonville.  Oh, well.  Thanks anyway!

sheclown

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
:)  I thought it went without saying.

Ron does talk about Jacksonville in his book.  He talks about eating fried chicken with Ronnie and Judy Van Zant and then going fishing.

And although the band, of course, is from Jacksonville, Ron is not.  He is from Houston.  Part of the charm of the book is a clash of cultures. But more importantly,  it is the story of a force, and this force captured the world and yet left everyone pretty much where they were.

The westside boys remain the westside boys.

And that is Jacksonville's story.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:28:43 PM by sheclown »

sheclown

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:43:20 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd reflects on its Jacksonville past to create new music, new fans

By Tracy Jones

And the story of Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with the music it shares with its fans, is an important legacy that should be carried on, said current lead singer Johnny Van Zant. His brother, Ronnie, was killed in a 1977 plane crash during the peak of the band’s popularity.

“My brother was a poet for the common man,” Johnny Van Zant said in a recent telephone interview. “We’ve tried to stay on that path.”

On Sunday, Lynyrd Skynyrd will headline the second day of the Welcome to Rockville festival at Metropolitan Park.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/entertainment/music/2013-04-25/story/lynyrd-skynyrd-reflects-its-jacksonville-past-create-new-music#.UXtgPy70wEQ.facebook#ixzz2RfAZaDet

sheclown

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:32:39 AM »
Ron is in need of a bone marrow transplant.  Register here if you are healthy and between the ages of 18 and 44 and are willing to help save a life.

http://marrow.org/Home.aspx

sheclown

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »
An update from Ron's family:

Alrighty, here’s the deal. First, WOW I have been overwhelmed with emails, and Ron sounded like he was going to cry when I told him how many people have offered to donate.
I just talked to Labcorp on what people need to do if they want to get tested if they are a match for Ron. Here are the rather disappointing details:

1. The odds of a compatible marrow donors who are not family members are about 1 in 20,000.
2. Blood Type doesn’t matter. Age limit is 60 in his case. If you have diabetes, heart problems, back problems, sleep apnea, diabetes, and any major disorders, you can’t donate. The matching is based on HLA tissue typing of the bone marrow. Since that is DNA based, the chance of a match unrelated to Ron is SLIM.
3. With all of that in mind, if you would still like to be tested, you will need Ron’s Dr and Hospital information, case number, etc. Please email SaveRonEckerman@gmail.com to have that sent to you if you want to be tested.
4. Lapcorp sends you saliva cotton swabs for you to send back to them. They charge you $150.00. (I thought there was no cost, because to do an actual donation when transplant time comes, there is no cost for the procedure or hospitalization, but to be TESTED to see if you can be a donor, it costs $150.00) Ron does NOT want anyone spending money when the chances are very slim that a match will be found. He does not have insurance or the funds to cover the testing.
5. If you end up being a match for Ron, you will be contacted by labcorp, otherwise your results will go in the national registry for someone in the future who you might be able to help.
6. Last but not least, Ron does not want anyone spending time or money, he would rather you spend the time praying that either his sister or brother will be a match.

sheclown

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:32:41 PM »
Ron died yesterday after a long battle. I'm honored to have had the opportunity to interview him last year. My heart goes out to his family, fans and friends.

Rest in peace