Author Topic: JTA Skyway moves thousands during One Spark  (Read 9093 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
JTA Skyway moves thousands during One Spark
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »
JTA Skyway moves thousands during One Spark

More than 44,000 Skyway boardings took place during last week’s One Spark festival, illustrating the positive impact of an active downtown environment and mass transit working together. Here's a look at the numbers!

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-jta-skyway-moves-thousands-during-one-spark

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: JTA Skyway moves thousands during One Spark
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
That's great. Just proves people will use it when the masses are Downtown.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:41 AM »
Probably the best evidence we have proving that when the Skyway reaches out and touches people, it is a most utilitarian aspect of our broken transit system. This evidence points to expediency in extensions into San Marco, Brooklyn, FSCJ and the Eastside.

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »
Probably the best evidence we have proving that when the Skyway reaches out and touches people, it is a most utilitarian aspect of our broken transit system. This evidence points to expediency in extensions into San Marco, Brooklyn, FSCJ and the Eastside.
Indeed!
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

jaxlore

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
+1111

ben says

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »
But, is JTA and/or the Brown Admin. listening? Do they care? Will expansion ensue? Does this CHANGE anything? Does a Skyway-naysayer look at this and say "oh boy, I was wrong"? Or do they write it off on something else? Can't help but be a skeptic on this one...
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

PeeJayEss

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
“These ridership numbers demonstrate that the Skyway is a convenient and viable means of transportation. I anticipate that these positive trends will continue even after One Spark.”

I'm not sure how encouraging a quote that is. Does anyone expect Skyway ridership to continue on this "positive trend"? Something about expansion, so that it would be viable when One Spark is not in town, would have been nice to hear.

10,600 on Saturday, though, that's a real big weekend number.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
Well even 4,500/ day on a regular workday is nothing to sneeze at. 

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
There is this thing called "unfulfilled" expectations which this city will face yet again if no action is taken to improve and grow the skyway.   I do believe it is time to reintroduce city leadership to the reality that the skyway failed because it remained half finished.  It's about time the city emboldens itself during these days of renewal and take positive action to finish and grow what could become one of our best assets.  By the way, we have entered the day's of Jacksonville renewal, you can feel it in the air and experience it through the words and actions of our citizens.  We cannot fall into another fitful slumber.  Time to move forward.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:36:02 AM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
It is not only because the Skyway is unfinished, but the predictions of having 100,000 people working downtown on a daily basis never materialized, due to the surburban flight of many employers. Imagine if we had density, 100,000 employees, 10,000 residents. The Skyway would be packed all the time. I believe the lackluster ridership the Skyway has experienced in the past is in part a symptom of the illness Downtown has suffered from.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:59:48 AM by fsujax »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »
It's also the issue of a regional system never being built to feed riders into it. The physical structure of the Skyway is really the least of its concerns.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
I will leave the specifics to you and Ock Ennis.  :)  You are the experts in this area. Me, well I am excited by the potential success and growth after a long period in this city of lackluster efforts toward building a better downtown and employing creative thinking when it comes to transport.  We need to move way beyond installing a massive courthouse to make the needed differences in the core.  I do think it is long past time that these issues are not only discussed but put back under the noses of leadership and JTA in a way that causes them to wake up to the fact that we seem to have been stuck in a "mind sludge" of what if's, why not's and the like.  It is time at least for incremental steps forward to be taken in a way that is recognizable as real progress.   Honestly, this city moves like dinosaurs when it comes to transport and it isn't working for us.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:55:18 AM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
yes, that too Lake. It is more than just one thing.

dougskiles

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:08:20 AM »
It's also the issue of a regional system never being built to feed riders into it. The physical structure of the Skyway is really the least of its concerns.

And you have to ask the question, why is JTA's only transit construction project (BRT) duplicating the Skyway downtown?  Why not focus the dollars and efforts establishing a system that connects TO the Skyway?

ldybug3939

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »
I think a dedicated mass transit lane on both 95 and 10 on weekdays, connecting with off and on ramps in the suburbs and near shopping malls. Make them exclusive to mass transit to the connecting garages of the sky-way would be a less expensive alternative. Sure it may make more congestion in the beginning. But the next few times your sitting in traffic and see a bus fly by on it way off you may rethink your commute into downtown or across town.