Author Topic: One Spark opening ceremony tonight  (Read 9776 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
One Spark opening ceremony tonight
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
One Spark opening ceremony tonight

Excitement is in the air as the long awaited One Spark Festival kicks off tonight in downtown Jacksonville's Hemming Plaza.  Here is a brief overview of the five day crowdfunding event.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-open-spark-opening-ceremony-tonight
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:19:45 PM by thelakelander »

tufsu1

Re: Open Spark opening ceremony tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
This will be a great event....but if you have some time before....

Come check out the JCCI InTown Forum series....tonight we are talking about enhancing our parks and connecting them to the river.

The forum starts at 5:30 at WJCT....and will be done by 7 (which is when the real fun starts at One Spark anyway)....plus there are usually prizes!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »
Sweet! I'll be out there after class.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

John P

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
This will be a great event....but if you have some time before....

Come check out the JCCI InTown Forum series....tonight we are talking about enhancing our parks and connecting them to the river.

The forum starts at 5:30 at WJCT....and will be done by 7 (which is when the real fun starts at One Spark anyway)....plus there are usually prizes!

I am not familiar with the wjct intown forum. What is it?

02roadking

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
It's on now!
Here's the 411 for One Spark today:

3:00 - 6:00 Creator pitches at Hemming Plaza & Main Street Park
3:00 - 8:00 Music Stages at the Landing (all family friendly!!)
3:00 - 8:30 Check out the various venues / exhibits throughout the Creator Zone & Entertainment District
6:00 - 8:00 Opening Ceremonies at Hemming Plaza
8:30 - 2:30 Entertainment District
Springfield since 1998

mvp

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
I have a meeting downtown tomorrow and invited a colleague to come check it out with me at Hemming Plaza around lunchtime.  I checked the schedule and it shows a "lunch break" from 11-1...the time people will be out and about and most likely stop by...bummer.

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
???? I hope it all goes well.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
Live special report this evening at 8:00 PM presented by News4Jax discussing One Spark.  They will be speaking with city officials, event creators and participants.   
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: One Spark opening ceremony tonight
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
I was downtown earlier today while they were still preparing for the event.  Here are a few phone pics:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
Nice pics Ennis. The old clock looks wonderful. Good restoration. I am getting messages from several of my friends who are currently at the event.  They are having a great time and say there already are thousands downtown.  I am guessing the party zone which is open until 2:00 AM will be rocking tonight.  I wonder how many people call in sick tomorrow.  lol
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Bridges

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
Good time last night.  Been a little sick lately so couldn't take full advantage, but the crowd was great.  I even saw CM Redman in Hemming Plaza burning a hole through the "occupiers" who were sitting down.  It would have been a funnier moment, if I didn't know that it probably means more trouble for Hemming Plaza in the future. 

Going to hit up some speakers today and tomorrow...so long as I'm feeling good. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

ben says

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »
Had a great time, but I got to Hemming Plaza a little too late (8:30). It was starting to close up when I got there. That being said, what I saw was amazing. I kept hearing the Entertainment area was the place to be starting at 9, but I had a busy next day so I left. Plan on going to the Entertainment area tonight or tomorrow.

2 initial reactions:

1) I'd never wanted the skyway from 5 points to DT as bad as I did last night.

2) I heard at least 2 dozen times "I wish downtown was this full more often"
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »
I didn't get out there until after 9, when the "creator zone" was supposedly winding down (ah, grad school!), but the crowds were still pretty solid. I had to wait in line for a shish kabob at a food truck that had been trying to shut down for 45 minutes. The bars in the entertainment section were packed, especially for a Wednesday. This is what I'd consider a big success.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ben says

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I didn't get out there until after 9, when the "creator zone" was supposedly winding down (ah, grad school!), but the crowds were still pretty solid. I had to wait in line for a shish kabob at a food truck that had been trying to shut down for 45 minutes. The bars in the entertainment section were packed, especially for a Wednesday. This is what I'd consider a big success.

Pretty much agree here.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

CG7

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »
I had a great time with my 15 year old son last night. 2 things caught my attention, first while listening to Sugarbears opening set, the Skyway was right in front of me, and it came every couple of minutes packed with people like it was a Disney Monorail. Second after I got off the packed Skyway, Hemming Plaza looked more like a scene out of Alice in Wonderland, than it usual homeless hangout. I also noticed that with that many people downtown the homeless people looked uncomfortable and out of place. If you didn't make opening night, you should definitely give it a try.