Author Topic: Construction begins on next phase of State Road 9B  (Read 7384 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Construction begins on next phase of State Road 9B
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:04:34 AM »
Construction begins on next phase of State Road 9B

Construction begins this week on the next phase of State Road 9B from U.S. 1 to I-95. The work starts with clearing land near U.S. 1 and continuing along the three-mile footprint of the new roadway during the next few months.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-construction-begins-on-next-phase-of-state-road-9b

copperfiend

Re: Construction begins on next phase of State Road 9B
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
The exit only into the Flagler development is interesting. I wonder if the developer of that property is paying for that.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
For you roadway engineers out there, why couldn't this be made to terminate at-grade at Race Track Road? I assume there's some concern about traffic stacking onto I-95 southbound if congestion gets pretty bad?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »
this so awesome...I can hardly contain my excitement  ;)

and as to your question above Lake, yes....apparently congestion backing up onto I-95 is the concern

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »
Regarding the concern, is there not enough room to add additional lanes to alleviate such a concern?  Seems to be an expensive overkill to add an elevated loop south of Race Track Road at some point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
Is this related to Bass Pro Shops?

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
Is this related to Bass Pro Shops?

Other way around.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
This phase only extends SR 9B to I-95 for roughly $32 million per mile.  It's funny looking at the numbers because $36 million would fully fund the entire streetcar starter line between Five Points and the Florida Theatre.  Anyway, this extension won't connect with Race Track Road so someone else will have to pony up the money to extend to the area where Bass Pro wants to go.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:05:08 AM by thelakelander »

cline

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »
^Maybe the FDOT will make the money appear for the last section just like it "magically" appeared for US1 to I-95 segment.

fsquid

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
^Maybe the FDOT will make the money appear for the last section just like it "magically" appeared for US1 to I-95 segment.

didn't the funding come from the stimulus in '09?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »
that was for the part being constructed now. 295E to US 1.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »

Yes, there's a lot of magic coming out of Tallahassee these days.  I wonder who's the Houdini that invented the money tree?  Less than a year ago, Prasad had Clay County's leaders on their knees kissing his ring for the tolling of the FCOB.  During that spectacle, FDOT was broke and new projects could only be funded by them being tolled. Now it's gone from being broke to having the bills to make it rain like John Gotti.

Gators312

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
Whenever I travel on 295 between Baymeadows and Beach blvd it is a total clusterf***k, no matter the time of day. 

Why is it they don't have the money to build enough lanes on 295 in this stretch, yet they are making it rain concrete on 9B?

Also while not related to this, where can I find more information or plans regarding the widening of the turn lanes on US 17 from Wells Road to 295.  I see they purchased the Comfort Inn (probably wasn't cheap) at Wells and 17 and tore it down.  Once again seems like an expensive purchase for a couple of turn lanes.  EDIT:  $3.6M for the site of a new retention pond.   Brilliant!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:31:01 AM by Gators312 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

acme54321

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
Whenever I travel on 295 between Baymeadows and Beach blvd it is a total clusterf***k, no matter the time of day. 

Why is it they don't have the money to build enough lanes on 295 in this stretch, yet they are making it rain concrete on 9B?

Also while not related to this, where can I find more information or plans regarding the widening of the turn lanes on US 17 from Wells Road to 295.  I see they purchased the Comfort Inn (probably wasn't cheap) at Wells and 17 and tore it down.  Once again seems like an expensive purchase for a couple of turn lanes.

If you are talking about the hotel that was torn down next to cracker barrel I don't think FDOT purchased that land.  Clay county still lists it owned by someone else and the structure came down months ago.