Author Topic: Massive McCoys Creek Clean-Up Planned for April 21st  (Read 2950 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Massive McCoys Creek Clean-Up Planned for April 21st
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:16:48 AM »
Massive McCoys Creek Clean-Up Planned for April 21st

A couple of local water stewards are poised to pull off the largest clean up that McCoys Creek has ever seen.  Here is a look at their story, what they plan to accomplish and how you can help.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-massive-mccoys-creek-clean-up-planned-for-april-21st

sheclown

Re: Massive McCoys Creek Clean-Up Planned for April 21st
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »
What a great project!!!  Thank you for your efforts and for sharing this with us.

Noone

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:57 AM »
This is very positive. Congratulations to all involved.

mbwright

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
A major undertaking.  Another reminder that it is much easier to maintain, than reclaim after many years of neglect.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:03:43 AM »
And just imagine what clearing those clogs will do to the overall effectiveness of the creek during rain storms.  Hopefully the city gets behind this and ponies up some equipment.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »
Certainly one of the waste contractors in the city could donate a couple of drivers and some trucks with container dumpsters to clean this mess up. The most amazing thing about McCoy's is that there is a creek in that mess someplace. Shall we contact the city sanitation or the waste haulers?  Want me to do it?  Send me a PM.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:44 AM »
Those clogs are pretty severe. This looks more intense than what we did at Hogan's creek.  I'll bring what I can to help.

Karenfinan

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:24 AM »
I am a long time lurker, but registered so I could kudos to Sarah Nan for her hard work cleaning up McCoy's Creek!

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:15:05 AM »
I am a long time lurker, but registered so I could kudos to Sarah Nan for her hard work cleaning up McCoy's Creek!
Welcome and let me add my praise to yours.  This is a wonderful and much needed undertaking.  Thanks Ennis for sharing the story and a huge thank you to those doing so much positive work!  :)
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Karenfinan

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
oops, meant give kudos to Sarah! Thanks Cheshire Cat, I live in Alameda Ca, but lived many years in Jax, and my two children and grandson still live there, so I am very invested in it being a great place to live!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
Well that's an interesting way to describe the cleanups that have been going on at McCoys for a long time now.  Saran Nan has been an incredible voice(for a long time, the only voice) for McCoys for the better part of a decade.  Recently Alicia Smith from the St Johns Riverkeeper's young professional group the Rising Tides started conducting monthly cleanups of McCoys for about 6 months now.. which have included inviting the likes of the Jacksonville Jaycess, Keep Jacksonville Beautiful and the Durbin Creek Wilderness Society.

I invite anyone interested to come out on April 21st (we have all the tools you'll need) or to any of our monthly cleanups.  We also reconvene for lunch at Tijuana Flats in Riverside afterwards.

Let's make sure to give credit where credit is due, however.

urbaknight

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Where exactly does everyone meet up?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
Well that's an interesting way to describe the cleanups that have been going on at McCoys for a long time now.  Saran Nan has been an incredible voice(for a long time, the only voice) for McCoys for the better part of a decade.  Recently Alicia Smith from the St Johns Riverkeeper's young professional group the Rising Tides started conducting monthly cleanups of McCoys for about 6 months now.. which have included inviting the likes of the Jacksonville Jaycess, Keep Jacksonville Beautiful and the Durbin Creek Wilderness Society.

I invite anyone interested to come out on April 21st (we have all the tools you'll need) or to any of our monthly cleanups.  We also reconvene for lunch at Tijuana Flats in Riverside afterwards.

Let's make sure to give credit where credit is due, however.

Anyone else you believe should be credited?  I'll add them to the main story.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
Where exactly does everyone meet up?

I believe this month's meetup with be at Hollybrook Park King Street at Fitzgerald Street.  If you follow the Rising Tides on Facebook, the info for the monthly cleanups are there.

North Florida Land Trust is also involved with McCoys Creek.  It's not a solo show, that's for sure.

JayceeJessie

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »
Great story about the efforts the guys from Durbin Creek have been putting into McCoys, but Fieldafm is right about Durbin Creek Society being part of a larger effort to clean up McCoys Creek. Sarah Nan is the matron of this effort, and has brought together a variety of environmental and civic groups to make her dream of a beautiful and navigable urban creek a reality.

Another key person deserving of praise is Alicia Smith, who is both a Rising Tides member (the YP group of the Riverkeepers) and a Jaycee. She brought both of these groups into the cleanup effort, and it is the Jaycees and the Rising Tides that have provided the bulk of the volunteers each month. Finally, you can’t forget about Keep Jacksonville Beautiful, who has provided the bags and supplies for the cleanup. 

As one of the volunteers who has been out with Sarah, Alicia and Josh since December, I am very excited to see even more people out there on the 21st. This is a very fun and involved clean up, so come ready to get wet and dirty!