Author Topic: Neighborhoods: Spring Park  (Read 7688 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Neighborhoods: Spring Park
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:00:23 AM »
Neighborhoods: Spring Park

Metro Jacksonville visits a Southside neighborhood whose residential district includes a number of older homes and several apartment complexes, primarily tucked between Emerson Street, Philips Highway and Beach Boulevard: Spring Park.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-apr-neighborhoods-spring-park

Noone

Re: Neighborhoods: Spring Park
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »
One of those neighborhoods that's identity is fractured by penetrating boundaries.
What's going in the old dance studio that was on Beach blvd? What ever it is it's very cool.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »
Nice article. I used to live off Larchmont. Funny, everyone I knew over there considered that area part of St. Nicholas rather than Spring Park. Also, everyone who lived in that little stretch north of Atlantic and west of Bishop Kenny also considered that to be St. Nicholas, though it's part of the Southbank according to Google Maps. I suppose everyone has their own definitions.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
Yeah, there's a lot of gray area over there.  The actual Spring Park has been renamed St. Nicholas Playground and the original Philips community & several older neighborhoods in the area have been cut in half by I-95.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
Great memories for me!  My great grandfather owned a considerable amount of property in the LaMee/ Beach (Rd) area.  He lived in an old house right off Beach.  My oldest great aunt lived with him until his death in 1950 and the house was torn down and a newer one built.  My grandparents lived on the south east corner of LaMee and Beach.  We lived up the street.  SouthGate Plaza was a swamp.  I watched them build the shopping center with amazement.  When I was in 4th grade, we moved to Taylor St.  right off what was then called Patton Dr.  (now Emerson) Just a little way west of our house was a wooded area.  Which became the site of Philips Highway Plaza!  Watched it being built, too. 
A few years later, the "Expressway came along.  It took away several of our neighbors houses and closed Gallion Rd.  We were then 5 houses away from the highway.
Coincidentally, attended  Spring Park Elementary and was devastated when it burned in 1968(?).  My father's younger cousin was in the first class to attend Spring Park, being transferred from Hendricks Elementary.
Hope this wasn't too boring!  it is a piece of my history.  lol 
Once more piece of information:  When Beach Blvd. was widened in the 50's, my grandparents' house was partially taken over for offices for the DOT?.  I remember the front of the house being walled off from the rear.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
Definitely, not boring. Instead very informational. Thanks for sharing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bike Jax

• Bike Jax
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Can remember going to Food Fair (later renamed Pantry Pride) as it was the closest grocery store to those of us in Bayard. It was only a 15 min drive and at that time there were no red lights between Bayard and Atlantic Blvd along Philips Hwy. Today there are 36 with more going in for the 9B extension.

leahg

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Nice article. I used to live off Larchmont. Funny, everyone I knew over there considered that area part of St. Nicholas rather than Spring Park. Also, everyone who lived in that little stretch north of Atlantic and west of Bishop Kenny also considered that to be St. Nicholas, though it's part of the Southbank according to Google Maps. I suppose everyone has their own definitions.

Funny you should say that! I live on Traymore - in the neighborhood just behind Havana Jax and The Thrift Store - which is also the street next to Larchmont. We bought the house two years ago and consider ourselves to be in St. Nicholas. I had seen this map before and that we're technically "Spring Park", but I just chose to ignore it because I wanted to claim St. Nicholas. ;) However all of our neighbors (who are in their 60's and 70's and have lived in the same house and/or neighborhood for 30-40 years) consider it St. Nicholas too! I wonder if most people have seen these maps where it gets really specific? I guess the community decides what it wants to be called? My mom lives further down Spring Park Rd. (after you cross Emerson and near Taylor Home) and I always considered that area Spring Park. At the same time, I went to Douglas Anderson for high school and while there I definitely considered that Spring Park, and still would. Either way, as long as my house is behind the old St. Nicholas train station I'll claim St. Nicholas! Thanks for the article!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Wasn't that train station relocated there?  I don't think that was the original site.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

Funny you should say that! I live on Traymore - in the neighborhood just behind Havana Jax and The Thrift Store - which is also the street next to Larchmont. We bought the house two years ago and consider ourselves to be in St. Nicholas. I had seen this map before and that we're technically "Spring Park", but I just chose to ignore it because I wanted to claim St. Nicholas. ;) However all of our neighbors (who are in their 60's and 70's and have lived in the same house and/or neighborhood for 30-40 years) consider it St. Nicholas too! I wonder if most people have seen these maps where it gets really specific? I guess the community decides what it wants to be called? My mom lives further down Spring Park Rd. (after you cross Emerson and near Taylor Home) and I always considered that area Spring Park. At the same time, I went to Douglas Anderson for high school and while there I definitely considered that Spring Park, and still would. Either way, as long as my house is behind the old St. Nicholas train station I'll claim St. Nicholas! Thanks for the article!
There are some lovely houses on Traymore. Yeah, everyone I knew over there claimed St. Nicholas as well. To me, everything northeast of about the elementary school and along Beach Blvd is St. Nicholas, as is the area to the west of Bishop Kenny. At any rate there aren't any "official" boundaries for these neighborhoods and there's a lot of overlap. Though place names change over time; it will be interesting to see if the proliferation of these names and boundaries on internet maps will affect how people conceptualize their neighborhoods.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

leahg

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
Wasn't that train station relocated there?  I don't think that was the original site.

It was relocated to that location from the other side of Atlantic from I believe Gay Ave. or Linden area. I learned that a few years ago from another Metro Jacksonville post on the St. Nicholas neighborhood!  :)

However, now it is three houses down from me in my "Spring Park" neighborhood next to Havana Jax and Cuba Libre (which I think are also considered Spring Park if we're getting map-technical), but many highlight as St. Nicholas landmarks.

Again - I personally want to claim that I live in St. Nicholas. And I think when I tell friends, family, and people in general that I live in St. Nicholas I think they understand where I'm talking about vs. Spring Park. Though I have met people that live in the "real" St. Nicholas and they seem to think I'm wacko for saying I also live in St. Nicholas! Ha, ha!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
^I hear you, I lived in two different places which I and all my neighbors considered to be St. Nicholas, and was surprised to see on Google Maps and elsewhere that neither was included in the neighborhood. Of course I've also heard people from Miramar claim San Marco and people in the Fishweir Creek/Fairfax area claim Avondale, so I guess some place names just have a certain recognizability and appeal. I wouldn't have thought St. Nicholas would be quite that prominent, though it is a great neighborhood!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
For the most part, we're talking about neighborhoods that have been developed for a full century.  It should not be unexpected that over time, strict boundaries fade away and in some cases, new area names come to light.  That's certainly the case in this instance and other areas in the city, such as loss of Sugar Hill and the "expansion" of what's considered Riverside/Avondale.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
^Or "South Jacksonville"/"Southside". The St. Nicholas case is interesting though, since the change on the maps doesn't seem to have followed a change in use by the residents. Where do you get your maps from?

PATSY/AUTUMN

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
Must agree about South Jacksonville.  My older relatives always referred to it in that manner.  Downtown was also referred to as "uptown."