Author Topic: Skybridge Jacksonville!  (Read 8225 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Skybridge Jacksonville!
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:01:36 AM »
Skybridge Jacksonville!

When JTA built the Skyway, they masterfully managed to miss 11,900 employees at Aetna, Baptist, and Wolfson Children's Hospital. Abysmal pedestrian connectivity between the San Marco Station and these important community assets led to design a concept Metro Jacksonville's Ocklawaha calls SKYBRIDGE JACKSONVILLE!

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-mar-skybridge-jacksonville

Noone

Re: Skybridge Jacksonville!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:31:17 AM »
Very cool. Nice article Ock. Like the name change. Seems like that would get more buy in for a Public, Private, Partnership. But before we do this does anyone have a bid price for a slab of concrete for the Jacobs clock that is laying in a crate over in Talleyrand?

CG7

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:31:35 AM »
Dare to dream we could think that out of the box.

mbwright

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
Very cool Ock.  Would this be enclosed, for those rare days when it rains?  Or maybe a covered, so it stays dry, but does not get wet?  I really do like the design and feel of these types of bridges.  We were in Ireland a while back and got to see the Peace Bridge, and also the Samuel Becket Bridge there.

Dapperdan

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Please get this to JTA. Surely there is 1.35 million somehwere for this.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »
Great work.
I'm a little confused on the prices quoted. The ped bridge engineers estimated a comparable plain vanilla ped bridge of the entire 900 ft length to be $1.35 million, but the expressway contractor estimates this actual design would cost $4-5 million just to cross the expressway? Could you clarify?
Additionally, a non-cantilevered, non-sundial bridge would be a significantly cheaper alternative, no (perhaps that is what you are illustrating with those numbers^)? I would think a town that has not been very good about cost overruns in the past would want to do this as cheaply and in a way that is as risk-free as possible.

urbaknight

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
The city would never go for this, it's too good of an idea. They would say that it's too expensive. But the real reason (of course they'll spin it a different way) is that it's an amenity for pedestrians. The city doesn't care about pedestrians and will not spend money on them when they can always spend money on car-centricities.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
Great concept Ock. Any idea on how the skyway completely missed serving the main destination on the Southbank that has parking constraints?

Anywy, sorry we can't afford this.  Despite $77 billion in sales last year, 7-11 needs your tax dollars because they can't afford to open gas stations in this expensive place called Jacksonville. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbaknight

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »
The city would never go for this, it's too good of an idea. They would say that it's too expensive. But the real reason (of course they'll spin it a different way) is that it's an amenity for pedestrians. The city doesn't care about pedestrians and will not spend money on them when they can always spend money on car-centricities.

We are The City, urbaknight.  You included.

I just wish that the more competent, more intelligent people of Jax would have a louder voice.

If I can learn not to be so harsh and rude with my criticisms maybe I can consider running for council. Or at the very least, be a city planer.

All of my friends think that I should be involved in some way with changing the city.

Slankinship

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »
In Richmond we have a pedestrian suspension bridge under a major highway that is easily the most heavily traveled part of downtown.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4094/4738152317_0fd6273085_z.jpg
In Jacksonville, a bridge under I-95 would link Northbank and Southbank Riverwalk, RAM and San Marco.

urbaknight

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
But with my criticisms, I have a tendency to offend the common people as well. I can't get elected if I offend everyone that votes.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »
A bridge in that location just makes sence.  And the location lends itself to something that can become an iconic structure for our city.  I've loved this idea since the moment you mentioned it to me, Ock.  I'd love to see what our local developers and engineers could do with the concept.  The city should up a design competition and let the local community vote on the best option.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
In Richmond we have a pedestrian suspension bridge under a major highway that is easily the most heavily traveled part of downtown.
In Jacksonville, a bridge under I-95 would link Northbank and Southbank Riverwalk, RAM and San Marco.

I love that bridge and what Richmond has done with its urban core in recent years.  Here's a picture of it I took a few years back:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

PeeJayEss

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »

Would be cool, and great to have Riverside and SB/San Marco peds/bikes more directly (and less Mt Acosta-ly) connected. However, the Full Warren is already the boat traffic limiter to that point (clearance above water is 75 ft). Based on how the supports are shaped, I bet you could fit a walkway directly under the deck without impacting that clearance much, but I don't know how appealing that bridge would be. Otherwise, I'm not sure what kind of clearance you are required to maintain there (though, hey!, throw in a raising section).

Certainly looks like it would be pretty cheap, anybody have an idea what kind of clearance needs to be provided?

dtgaff

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
What an awesome idea and article!