Author Topic: Quiznos and Adams Street Deli Want Food Trucks Out of Downtown  (Read 12249 times)

Kerry

Re: Quiznos and Adams Street Deli Want Food Trucks Out of Downtown
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
Like most of America, we subsidized the burbs and continue to do so. Jax isn't much different from most second tier regional cities in that regard. One will truly get frustrated if they're expecting DT Jax to resemble larger, older, denser urban cities like Seattle, NYC, etc. That's not happening in our lifetimes, no matter what the growth spurt is.

There's more happening in DT Jax now than at any other period in time that I've lived here (since Fall 2003). However, expectations must be balanced with the reality of scale, historic development patterns and context.

I'm not buying that.  I've been to too many places bigger, smaller, same size, older, newer, same age, as Jax that are re-urbanizing.  I can go down the list if you like:  Omaha, Ashville, West Palm Beach, St Pete, Savannah, Greenville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Huntsville, Oklahoma City, Fort Worth, Austin, Salt Lake City, Des Moines, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Wichita, etc.  Heck, even little tiny places are doing it with gusto - Waycross, GA, and Monroe, LA, instantly come to mind.

I wouldn't call my actions 'whining'.  I want the city to get it's freaking act together and start doing something productive because whatever they have been trying to do isn't working.  If they have no interest in actually reviving downtown then they just need to say so.

There is a bunch of stuff the City could do to kick-start the process without needing any outside developers, magic football team owners, or corporations promising to be a game-changer.

1) Return downtown streets to 2-way.
2) Widen sidewalks
3) Allow food venders on the Riverwalk
4) Install pay stations instead of meters
5) Put in a bike-share system
6) Fund more historical markers (or even recreate some historic sites).  At one time Jacksonville was a walled city.  Heck, just paint a line on the ground where the wall was and a plaque explaining what it is.  If the City gives me the paint I'll do it.  Scratch that, I'll buy the paint and they can just agree not to arrest me for doing it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:17:48 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
Like most of America, we subsidized the burbs and continue to do so. Jax isn't much different from most second tier regional cities in that regard. One will truly get frustrated if they're expecting DT Jax to resemble larger, older, denser urban cities like Seattle, NYC, etc. That's not happening in our lifetimes, no matter what the growth spurt is.

There's more happening in DT Jax now than at any other period in time that I've lived here (since Fall 2003). However, expectations must be balanced with the reality of scale, historic development patterns and context.

I'm not buying that.  I've been to too many places bigger, smaller, same size, older, newer, same age, as Jax that are re-urbanizing.  I can go down the list if you like:  Omaha, Ashville, West Palm Beach, St Pete, Savannah, Greenville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Huntsville, Oklahoma City, Fort Worth, Austin, Salt Lake City, Des Moines, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Wichita, etc.  Heck, even little tiny places are doing it with gusto - Waycross, GA, and Monroe, LA, instantly come to mind.

I wouldn't call my actions 'whining'.  I want the city to get it's freaking act together and start doing something productive because whatever they have been trying to do isn't working.  If they have no interest in actually reviving downtown then they just need to say so.

While you are right that many of the places are seeing very strong downtown resurgence, that doesn't mean their suburbs aren't booming. I mean, WPB, St. Pete, and Fort Worth in particular are having crazy growth in the burbs.

It's not a one vs. the other. At least, it doesn't have to be.

KenFSU

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
6) Fund more historical markers (or even recreate some historic sites).

On these two, keep your eyes peeled.

People are going to be really impressed with what Lori Boyer is cooking up for Friendship Fountain and the Times-Union Center.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

acme54321

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
Speaking of Freindship Fountain.... it seems to be on a fast track to it's pre-renovation status.  Lots of broken lights, fountain doesn't do much anymore.  Haven't seen it on anything close to power in a long time.

KenFSU

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Speaking of Freindship Fountain.... it seems to be on a fast track to it's pre-renovation status.  Lots of broken lights, fountain doesn't do much anymore.  Haven't seen it on anything close to power in a long time.

Full restoration is coming.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

Kerry

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »

People are going to be really impressed with what Lori Boyer is cooking up for Friendship Fountain and the Times-Union Center.

I hope so.  The Fort Hatch group had to pay for their own marker.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2018, 11:23:33 AM »
1) Return downtown streets to 2-way.
2) Widen sidewalks
4) Install pay stations instead of meters
5) Put in a bike-share system

1) Completely agree, and it's starting to happen (slowly). I think Broad/Jefferson/Main/Ocean/State/Union may never happen, but I think there's a chance everything else happens. To me the north-south is more of a priority, as at lease the east-west alternate well.
2) Careful with this one - they did this in the 90s at the expense of some on-street parking. That I'm not in favor of. I would be in favor of road diets in certain areas.
3) Amen
4) Meh....As long as they are the meters that take Credit Cards (which MOST of downtown has now), then I'm fine with this. Alternatively, because technology allows for a car to do a quick license plate scan to see if someone is over time, I'd be okay getting rid of the meters and going to this. But, not a huge fan of replacing one pay technology with another as long as the pay options are the same.
5) I think this would be great
6) This is more than a Downtown thing, but I do agree. Jacksonville doesn't embrace it's history at all, save for the fire and consolidation.

KenFSU

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »

$1 million already allocated, with additional funds possible.

Think bigger than marker.

Boyer is extremely serious about activating the riverfront, both day and night.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:09:40 PM by KenFSU »

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
^Is the installation of vertical beams of light part of that plan?  I remember her advocating for that before.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

KenFSU

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
^Is the installation of vertical beams of light part of that plan?  I remember her advocating for that before.

Yep!

But beyond the beacons themselves, the main focus at the Times-Union Center and Friendship Fountain will be adding things to do to help make each spot a destination, rather than a pass-through.

The idea is for each spot to provide multiple activities, that can be enjoyed day or night, while touching on some aspect of the city's history.

In other words, the riverwalk becomes an active, rather than passive path, where you learn about the city as you go.

Both concepts are really cool, but the Times-Union Center is the one that's going to get people talking when the details are released.

Kerry

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
Well color me cautiously optimistic then because Jax can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like no place I have ever seen.

As for parking meters vs pay stations.  It depends how they do it.  With a meter they designate a 20' parking spot to every meter.  In Savannah they have pay stations and still designate a section of real estate to that numbered spot.  However, in Oklahoma City you park your car where you can wedge it in.  You only take up the physical space your car needs and 3 little cars can fit in the space 2 SUVs take up.  The smaller your car the easier it is to find parking.
Third Place