Author Topic: Quiznos and Adams Street Deli Want Food Trucks Out of Downtown  (Read 12250 times)

camarocane

Re: Quiznos and Adams Street Deli Want Food Trucks Out of Downtown
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
Adams Street has not closed down. They were bought out and the new owner is remodeling.

KenFSU

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
Adams Street has not closed down. They were bought out and the new owner is remodeling.

Thanks for the info!
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Live_Oak

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
Set to become a Jewish/Kosher Deli. https://www.giliskitchen.com/

KenFSU

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
Set to become a Jewish/Kosher Deli. https://www.giliskitchen.com/

Just walked by, she's open:

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
Lol, we really need to decide what type of city we want to be.  At times I think that there are those who really don't want a truly vibrant urban core and are happy with the current existing environment.

It has been 5 years since this comment and nothing has changed in that time.

A City is just a means to a way of life.  I have concluded Jax doesn't have any interest in becoming the type of city I want to live in and I for sure don't have the time to wait 20 more years to find out.  I have to live here for 1 more year then it's probably  time to move on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:57:26 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

MEGATRON

• MEGATRON IS THE TRUE RULER OF CYBERTRON
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
Lol, we really need to decide what type of city we want to be.  At times I think that there are those who really don't want a truly vibrant urban core and are happy with the current existing environment.

It has been 5 years since this comment and nothing has changed in that time.

A City is just a means to a way of life.  I have concluded Jax doesn't have any interest in becoming the type of city I want to live in and I for sure don't have the time to wait 20 more years to find out.  I have to live here for 1 more year then it's probably  time to move on.
I'm interested, Kerry  - what are you doing to change Jacksonville?  I see you rip it to shreds on this message board, along with any new development or business, twice daily.  I'm fine with criticism but criticizing every new proposal gets old.  What have you done to change Jacksonville?
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 11:47:14 PM »
I spent my first year living in the Brooklyn neighborhood trying to get the City to uphold its own requirements with things like the new Gate station - which they didn't do of course.  But really, what can I do?  Short of running for office or developing property what other avenues are there besides community activist?  Of course, the fact you even have to ask is indictive of the problem here in Jax.  Why should those of living in the urbanized portion of the City have to do anything.  People in suburbia don't have to do anything to kerp the sprawl going.
Third Place

jaxnyc79

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 07:46:32 AM »
I spent my first year living in the Brooklyn neighborhood trying to get the City to uphold its own requirements with things like the new Gate station - which they didn't do of course.  But really, what can I do?  Short of running for office or developing property what other avenues are there besides community activist?  Of course, the fact you even have to ask is indictive of the problem here in Jax.  Why should those of living in the urbanized portion of the City have to do anything.  People in suburbia don't have to do anything to kerp the sprawl going.

Kerry, I was at a similar juncture in Jax shortly after graduating from university.  This was years ago, but I used to attend and speak up at Downtown Development Authority meetings, gawk at the colorful master plans and artists' renderings of made-for-TV urbanity, participate in the wide-eyed charrettes.  At the same time, I was also very busy with my first professional job in public accounting, and really found it difficult to plug into real substantive efforts to transform downtown living in Jax.  Unlike you, however, I wasn't living in the urban core - I was on the Southside; this was 2004, and downtown was even less inviting than it is now - in my opinion. 

During a work assignment around that time, I spent 2 weeks in downtown Seattle and fell in love with the lifestyle and accesses i experienced during that project, and decided that I had to leave Jax.  Seattle was too far from family, so I settled on New York City.  I'm still here and I love it.  But I don't love it for the initial reasons that drove me here.  I love it because of the people I know and experience the city with, and the city happens to make it easy for us to have a great time together. 

Of course, I took the simple path: ready-made, off-the-shelf, dense, amenity-rich living!  Downtown Jax, like many other downtowns in America, requires a pioneering spirit, a sense of adventure and daring, and tons of imagination.  Being a change agent comes with a ton of risk of disappointment, but can also present a ton of opportunity.  Of course, a single person is pretty limited in what he can implement.  Banding together with like-minded individuals with a bias toward action will be key, to start to see accomplishments at scale.  Community matters, and being a part of a community advocating for and implementing the kind of downtown you all want will go a long way towards compensating for downtown Jacksonville's shortfalls. 

Recently, I've read about Downtown Dwellers.  Have you checked them out?  They seem to be undertaking a grass-roots approach to re-branding downtown.  As long as the biggest advocates for downtown sit in the mayor's office and city council and with the Chamber because they think some contrived image of downtown is what it takes to check the box on some Corporate RFP criteria list, it will always fall short.  I don't live in Jax so I can't speak to everything going on there, but maybe a Best-of-Jax day where residents are encouraged to patronize establishments majority-owned in Jax ("Proprietarily Jax:)), Virtual Reality Game Room, Robotics Studio, BBQ Cook-Off, World's Largest Fish Fry (Someone once told me that Jax should be named the shrimp capital of the world), rodeo-style speedboating adventures on the St. Johns, air boat tours up McCoy's Creek, City-Wide Adult KickBall/Dodge-Ball Competitions, Downtown waterfront Outdoor Public Beer Garden during nice parts of the year given all the local craft breweries now, Monthly Digital Surveys among Downtown Business Owners to make sure their needs met and sentiment is strong...on and on and on
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:59:00 AM by jaxnyc79 »

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
  Why should those of living in the urbanized portion of the City have to do anything. 

First, I applaud your decision to move if you have concluded that living in Jax (and I agree it isn't going to change enough for you in the near future) isn't for you. I am amazed that so many people don't have it in them to take a chance on making a change.

Second, this one of those most pathetic things I have ever seen typed.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
  Why should those of living in the urbanized portion of the City have to do anything. 

First, I applaud your decision to move if you have concluded that living in Jax (and I agree it isn't going to change enough for you in the near future) isn't for you. I am amazed that so many people don't have it in them to take a chance on making a change.

Second, this one of those most pathetic things I have ever seen typed.

My God, man, the guy is frustrated and is reaching out to the message board.  I applaud him for living in Downtown Jax for a year.  If downtown is to thrive, there must be a community to offer encouragement, hope and support.  Why this message board needs to crucify people in their frustrations, I'll never know - especially someone who actually lives and spends money in the core.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
I see Kerry's point, even if I don't share the sentiment. His point is that Suburban growth happens without any effort on people's part.

Regardless, the bottom line is this: Downtown Jacksonville is depressed in many ways. It didn't happen overnight, and as we have seen, isn't turning around overnight ether. There's no point in rehashing all of the reasons, but the bottom line is this: if people don't show they give a damn, then it gets the topic out of the conversation, and that isn't good.

More is happening now than I've seen in all of my time living here, and that's good. At the same time, things still seem painfully slow. The biggest issue in my opinion is actually the very low cost of living in the city, putting huge pressure on construction costs. That's not a quick fix unfortunately. But, with projects like the Barnett actually in work, and things are looking better for the Laura Trio than they have ever looked, so it keeps me motivated.

Kerry

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
For the record, I have lived in Brooklyn for nearly 3 years.  I have poured nearly $60,000 into downtown in that time.
Third Place

jaxnyc79

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
I see Kerry's point, even if I don't share the sentiment. His point is that Suburban growth happens without any effort on people's part.

Regardless, the bottom line is this: Downtown Jacksonville is depressed in many ways. It didn't happen overnight, and as we have seen, isn't turning around overnight ether. There's no point in rehashing all of the reasons, but the bottom line is this: if people don't show they give a damn, then it gets the topic out of the conversation, and that isn't good.

More is happening now than I've seen in all of my time living here, and that's good. At the same time, things still seem painfully slow. The biggest issue in my opinion is actually the very low cost of living in the city, putting huge pressure on construction costs. That's not a quick fix unfortunately. But, with projects like the Barnett actually in work, and things are looking better for the Laura Trio than they have ever looked, so it keeps me motivated.

Given we have consolidated government, would it be possible for the city to put downtown at a competitive advantage to the 'burbs through zoning laws and other regulatory rigmarole?  What of downtown revitalization by force?  The city seems to "permit" so much throughout the county, through land use regulation, just force the construction of dense or intense uses in and around the core and away from a patch of pine trees. 

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
For the record, I have lived in Brooklyn for nearly 3 years.  I have poured nearly $60,000 into downtown in that time.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2018, 10:02:43 AM »

Given we have consolidated government, would it be possible for the city to put downtown at a competitive advantage to the 'burbs through zoning laws and other regulatory rigmarole?  What of downtown revitalization by force?  The city seems to "permit" so much throughout the county, through land use regulation, just force the construction of dense or intense uses in and around the core and away from a patch of pine trees.

As I understand it, the exact opposite of that was how we ended up where we are (in part, at least). Companies were offered incentives to move to the southside.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”