Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale  (Read 7202 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale

Avondale was one of the first major neighborhoods in Jacksonville to have restrictive covenants.  These covenants, requiring two story homes and specific construction techniques, have been successful in creating a community that stands out amongst its Duval County peers 88 years after its conception.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/724

DemocraticNole

Re: Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »
This is such a beautiful area. Thanks for posting the pics.

Beloki

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »
Too bad they just don't build urban sprawl like this anymore..............

mtraininjax

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:13:33 AM »
Nice pictures. Who here knows the 4 original streets that Mr. Telfair Stockton created as the ORIGINAL Avondale?  :o
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »
I don't know the streets for sure, but I'm going to guess Aberdeen, Seminole, Avondale and Challen.  I'm pretty sure that the existing Avondale shopping district was outside the original boundaries.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
Since I know the answer from the Jax Architectural Heritage book, I'll stay out of this one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

second_pancake

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »

Considering there was a trolley that ran directly through this part of town to and from downtown, and it's less than a 30 minute walk to downtown, even less by horse and buggy and/or trolley, I would hardly equate this to "urban sprawl".  The building done during this time period was an attempt at staying as close to downtown (the center of commerce) as humanly possible. This is why mass transportation was invented...to keep the connection there and prevent people from having to travel long distances for work or shopping.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

stug

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »
I used to live in that blue quad on Donald St.! Gorgeous place, but it went downhill after Walter Williams Realty took over as property manager (it was an Atkinson and Knight property prior to that). Certain necessary improvements that were made during the years I live there exhibited no regard for the age or integrity of the building. A revolving door of renters tends to be hard on properties like this one ... it would be nice if the agencies charged with maintaining them did so properly.

David

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »

Considering there was a trolley that ran directly through this part of town to and from downtown, and it's less than a 30 minute walk to downtown, even less by horse and buggy and/or trolley, I would hardly equate this to "urban sprawl".  The building done during this time period was an attempt at staying as close to downtown (the center of commerce) as humanly possible. This is why mass transportation was invented...to keep the connection there and prevent people from having to travel long distances for work or shopping.

I think what they were saying is it'd be nice if the rest of jacksonville was built like this, instead of the current homoginized sprawl. I've always wondered that myself, why did we have to stray away from building such great structures to....southside blvd? I really wish I could've lived here in the first half of the 1900's...

sandyshoes

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »
Beautiful.  Thank you so much for all these neighborhood pics, I can't tell you enough how much I love all of them, as I am exploring many of them today.  In picture #21, I think it's the Avondale Baptist Church now - anyone know the history of that building and possibled prior uses?  That looks like it could have been a synagogue - just an amateur's guess, noting the high windows and the relatively plain front with no cross in sight. 

roninvirginia

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »
I don't know that it was any other variety of church. I attended there in the early 60's and it was ABC then. I was baptized there in 1963.

sandyshoes

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »
There is a condo building that now appears as if it's going to fall into the water at some future point - if you head North on Highway 17 past Ortega, go over the white bridge, look to the right at the tallest building on the waterfront.  It's a dark brown brick multi-story condo building.  (This is the bridge just before you get to Wabash where you would turn to go to Wachovia and the original Chamblin's).  Does anyone else think this building appears to be leaning? 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
This building?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sandyshoes

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »
That's the one.  As I am usually in the passenger seat when we drive home that way, I've seen the building from the side until it's out of view.  When you get to a certain point, it really seems to me as if the building is leaning.  My husband has noticed it also.  Optical illusion?

WmNussbaum

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
The synogogue in the area was converted into what is now the Avenues Condominium. It was catercorner from Riverside Church of God and bounded by Riverside, St. Johns, and Mallory.

There are large parts of what is now considered Avondale that have no restrictions, and in the area between the shoppes and the river, you'll see a number of apartment buildings next to or across the street from some very pricey homes. This could only happen if not only were there no restrictions, but also before zoning ordinances came about.