Author Topic: Mayor Signs Agreement With SMG to Manage Facilities  (Read 3977 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Mayor Signs Agreement With SMG to Manage Facilities
« on: December 22, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Mayor Signs Agreement With SMG to Manage Facilities

SMG wins the contract to manage the City's Facilities. 

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-dec-mayor-signs-agreement-with-smg-to-manage-facilities
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:36:12 PM by stephendare »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Mayor Signs Agreement With SMG to Manage Facilities
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »
What happened to the group from Philly?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »
This can only mean one thing...ticket prices are going up across the board.  SMG has to pay for that "contribution" from somewhere.

This appears to shift more of the revenue responsibility over to the facility management, and less from COJ.

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
Lake, both groups are from Philly.

What's comical to me is that the Mayor is touting that one of his top priorities is taxpayers savings...if that was the case, this deal could have been done in the summer!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
This was a foregone conclusion. It's too bad it was handled the way it was.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Ernest Street

• Neighborhood Watchdog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
SMG runs every facility they are around into the ground..This seems to be their business plan.Check it out online...SMG has a monopoly here.
 Look at the sur-charges on your ticket...we can't afford this .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:35:49 PM by Ernest Street »

TheCat

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »
I just read on the JBJ that Comcast owned Global Spectrum had promised free advertising on cable networks for Jacksonville venues. SMG had complained saying something like "uh, we can't compete with that." Article on the link:

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/10/17/smg-pushing-for-investigation-of.html

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
I'd have been less skeptical of Global if anything I'd ever read convinced me their pitch was better, and not just the mayor trying to steer a city contract to his friends against the wishes of the Jaguars. Advertising on your cable TV monopoly does not a good facilities manager make.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
I just read on the JBJ that Comcast owned Global Spectrum had promised free advertising on cable networks for Jacksonville venues. SMG had complained saying something like "uh, we can't compete with that." Article on the link:

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/10/17/smg-pushing-for-investigation-of.html

They actually asked the FTC to look into it....there are competition rules you know