Author Topic: The Role Of Mass Transit In Brooklyn's Renaissance  (Read 24424 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Role Of Mass Transit In Brooklyn's Renaissance
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:57:09 AM »
The Role Of Mass Transit In Brooklyn's Renaissance

A redevelopment renaissance is underway in Brooklyn. However, there is one major problem. Brooklyn is physically separated from the downtown core. With this in mind, what role will mass transit play?

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-dec-the-role-of-mass-transit-in-brooklyns-renaissance

Spence

Re: The Role Of Mass Transit In Brooklyn's Renaissance
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 03:06:18 AM »
I drew a sketch of almost exactly this and have made time to make very brief presentations to two FDOT folks who smiled, and said "we are working on it" - the "no-frills" mass transit connection between the OpCtr in Brooklyn, and DT proper.
I had only asked for five minutes time, so I did not expect much of a presponse as these are freinds and I just dropped in on them at home recently.

Very exciting to see here!!
Why is the world full of humans a lot less friendly than we ought to be?

Spence

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 03:09:36 AM »
A nearly perfect (even if only temporary) connection solution!
Why is the world full of humans a lot less friendly than we ought to be?

Noone

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
I'm definitely warming up to rail. It was MJ and last year when we were in Boston we spent an extra day just using the rail and then took Amtrack to Maine.

Have you guys reached out to CSX? Has anyone approached anyone about the laying of the track and making this a jobs program for Jacksonville residents? Again I don't pretend for a second to know how the track is laid but I keep thinking about the Pub Crawl Rail Team and just laying 25' or 50' of track. For those people who are out of work the rail guys who would be overseeing this may say "Hey Joe, Did you see that guy Mike?"  "I did. Before  the last break he had a Food truck lined up and was telling everyone they had 5 minutes to run into Mark's and get their drink orders lined up." I'm glad he's on our team."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:41:40 AM by Noone »

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 06:42:14 AM »
Whatever happened to the Marks Gray Law Firm plans from years ago?  Are they going to take the one vacant parcel left on Riverside?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 06:48:52 AM »
Good article, and the "no-frills" Skyway station seems to a no-brainer.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
great article.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
Thanks!

I'm definitely warming up to rail. It was MJ and last year when we were in Boston we spent an extra day just using the rail and then took Amtrack to Maine.

Have you guys reached out to CSX? Has anyone approached anyone about the laying of the track and making this a jobs program for Jacksonville residents? Again I don't pretend for a second to know how the track is laid but I keep thinking about the Pub Crawl Rail Team and just laying 25' or 50' of track. For those people who are out of work the rail guys who would be overseeing this may say "Hey Joe, Did you see that guy Mike?"  "I did. Before  the last break he had a Food truck lined up and was telling everyone they had 5 minutes to run into Mark's and get their drink orders lined up." I'm glad he's on our team,"

I believe JTA has approached CSX about studying to possibly utilize some of their corridors for commuter rail and that continues to be an ongoing process.  However, CSX doesn't stand in the way of utilizing the Skyway to access Brooklyn or a streetcar line between Riverside and Downtown.  Neither option would utilize or cross CSX ROW.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
What's the origin of the name Mixon Town?  This is the first time I have encountered it.  Thanks.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
Good article, and the "no-frills" Skyway station seems to a no-brainer.

And the beauty of the "no-frills" station is that it would be at grade.  So all that is necessary is a concrete slab and covering, a couple small sidewalk extensions, fencing around the beam, and then just dig a hole to recess the monorail beam in the ground allowing the tram riders to exit at grade level.  Then some trenching between the station and the adjacent Operations/Maintenance facility for basic signaling and communications.  Because the system is now free (hopefully forever) there would be no need for change machines, ticket machines, turnstyles, etc. 

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
Here are a couple more images.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
nice work Jason.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
Great job Jason.  Wonderful article

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
That Skyway extension idea is really solid. Not only would it be attractive for folks in this area, it should be affordable too. Very good work, guys.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tayana42

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
M A K E  I T  H A P P E N !