Author Topic: Mayor Peyton's approval rating slides to 27 percent  (Read 10831 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Mayor Peyton's approval rating slides to 27 percent
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
Mayor Peyton's approval rating slides to 27 percent

According to a MetroJacksonville.com phone survey that was conducted from February 7th-13th, only 27% of Jacksonville registered voters who voted in the last mayoral election would identify themselves as  satisfied  in Mayor John Peyton's job performance.  Breaking it down further, 36% said they are dissatisfied, while 38% said they are neutral on the mayor's performance.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/716

Driven1

Re: Mayor Peyton's approval rating slides to 27 percent
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »
Is there ANYONE out there that is surprised by this?  And one other thing...isn't this lower than even Bush's approval ratings?  Sad.

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »
Interesting.  Good work, guys!

I bet the internal crosstabs are interesting as well.  X% of Democrats favor recall while X% of Republicans are undecided, etc...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:24:17 AM by Jimmy »
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

Midway ®

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »
Here is the future of bond funding for the courthouse project.  Bonds will be required to make up the shortfall because of the inflated prices for construction costs:

Auction-Bond Failures Roil Munis, Pushing Rates Up

Bonds sold by U.S. municipal borrowers with rates set through periodic auctions failed to attract enough buyers as banks including Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Citigroup Inc. that run the bidding won't commit their own capital to the debt.

Rates on $100 million of bonds sold by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, with bidding run by Goldman, soared to 20 percent yesterday from 4.3 percent a week ago, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Presbyterian Healthcare in Albuquerque and New York state's Metropolitan Transportation Authority also experienced failures, officials said.

What began three weeks ago with too few bidders for auction-rate debt backed by relatively small entities, such as Georgetown University and Nevada Power, has widened in recent days to include large issues of state governments, such as New York state's Dormitory Authority. The auction failures provide new indication of Wall Street's unwillingness to commit capital amid $133 billion in credit losses and asset writedowns.

``It's the beginning of the end for the auction-rate market,'' said Matt Fabian, a senior analyst with Concord, Massachusetts-based Municipal Market Advisors. ``Banks have stopped supporting the market.
http://elainemeinelsupkis.typepad.com/money_matters/2008/02/us-truck-on-fir.html

Had the project been competently planned and managed by an administration that had some vague idea about how to run a city, this courthouse would have already have been built, within budget and on time.

I would not be surprised to find that the money that was set aside and "banked" for this project has been invested in underperforming securities with a low or negative rate of return, and this effect is now compounded by the decline in the value of the dollar coupled with a precipitous rise in the cost of all basic construction materials such as concrete and metal, thereby making the project that much more costly to complete.

So, by delaying the project for several years through sheer incompetence, the present city administration has left the taxpayers of Duval county holding the bag once again.

This is the sad legacy of voter apathy, which in turn breeds incompetent and/or corrupt administrations.

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:49:02 AM »
The article states that a MAJORITY do not support a recall.  The accurate statement would be a PLURALITY of voters do not support a recall.  If 58% support a recall or are undecided, then 42% do not support a recall.  None of the three options is > 50%, which is required for a MAJORITY. 

Regardless, these numbers provide encouragement to a Recall effort. Recall is basically unheard of, and without real precedence in FL to my knowledge, and yet a majority either favor one, or are undecided.  An excellent starting point. 

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »
I think recall is a bad idea in this situation.  That will take energy and resources that we need to marshal in 2011 when we can make a real difference.  There's also the issue of the requirement for legal cause.  There are seven: malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty, drunkenness, incompetence, permanent inability to perform official duties and conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude.

I read the results to say that a plurality favors recall, since that's 42%-yes, versus 20%-no and 38%-undecided.

Driven1

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »
and we have a winner.... incompetence

ps...i'm not kidding...that would be the one to use.

btw Jimmy...u had ur numbers reversed...it's 42% say "no" to a recall RIGHT NOW, 20% say yes and 38% are currently undecided.

Driven1

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »
one other interesting note...the survey participants were split 50/50 among the two major parties.  it would be my guess that the democrats would have voted more heavily NOT IN FAVOR of Peyton...and the fact is that there are signicantly MORE democrats than republicans here in Duval, so the true "approval" numbers could actually be worse for Mr. Peyton in reality.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
I always said if I was good with numbers I would have gone to medical school instead of law school. Thanks for the correction.  I think it reinforces my point that this community isn't ready for what it would take in order to mount a successful recall effort.

Driven1

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
i would agree with you... not ready RIGHT NOW.  but, that is with absolutely NO PR campaigning for a recall election.  and i find it AMAZING that already:  20% say YES, they would recall RIGHT NOW and that 38% are UNDECIDED.  think about the UNDECIDED votes...if just 1/2 of those said yes (RIGHT NOW, again with no PR campaign), then that would mean there are 39% potential existing yes votes out there RIGHT NOW. 

on the issue of whether it is good for the city, IMO, we have now seen almost 5 years of stagnant or reverse growth...run the numbers and he is only 60% through an 8 year reign of incompetence.  to me, i ask myself....could you actually do WORSE?  i really don't think so.  and if so, then it would only be for 3 remaining years.

Midway ®

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
Waa Waa Waaa, I want a recall!

Instead of whining about a recall, which has almost no chance of happening, why not apply pressure to the Mayor to run the city competently?  Would this be impossible? I am sure that he is capable of learning, as it is rumored that he went to a fine college and subsequently graduated from that fine institution, which would be indicative of that capability.

Right now he has no incentive to represent the public, because they did not elect him, at least from a statistical standpoint, when you look at the number of registered voters Vs. the number of votes he collected in his most recent campaign.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
I'm in the choir, you don't have to preach to me!  I'm with you on the bad and worse things that have happened in the past 5+ years.

And maybe there's an untapped group of people out there who, once educated on the issues, would support a recall.  We'll have to dust off our mayoral succession chart in the event of a successful recall.  Councilman Davis has said that he's unwilling to become Acting Mayor, as it would soil his chances of being elected in his own right in 2011.  It's that content that I'm worried about at this moment.

As for an argument that the mayor has no incentive to represent the public... wow.  We do pay him a salary and give him some nice perks.  We should get something in return.

Driven1

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »
Midway...good suggestions.

Specifically, what kind of "pressure" do you think would be most effective in "teaching" the Mayor and forcing him to change his behavior and start "representing the public"?  Basically, how do you propose we lure him into doing his job?

Midway ®

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
As for his salary, I am sure that it is just pocket change for him. The real purpose of him being mayor is to implement policies that financially benefit his network of associates. It is kind of like the guy who is carting off dirt from a construction site but is really stealing wheelbarrows.

And as for the election, I guess Peyton felt that even if he were to be opposed by "Bongo the Chimp" he would lose, so through the judicious application of pressure, engineered an "election" where he ran unapposed. (I think that the last one of those I heard of was in Iraq). Ahh, democracy at work.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:43:12 AM by Midway »

Midway ®

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »
Midway...good suggestions.

Specifically, what kind of "pressure" do you think would be most effective in "teaching" the Mayor and forcing him to change his behavior and start "representing the public"?  Basically, how do you propose we lure him into doing his job?

By becoming involved. By calling City Hall every day. By sending emails. By voting. By writing into the newspaper. By not being a passive bystander in this democracy.

Politicians are sort of like cockroaches, in that they tend to be antiphototropic.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:46:41 AM by Midway »