Author Topic: Sunrail: Redefining Orlando  (Read 12870 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Sunrail: Redefining Orlando
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:14 AM »
Sunrail: Redefining Orlando

New rail transit systems historically have offered communities a host of new growth management opportunities - from creating pedestrian-friendly, transit-oriented housing near station stops to redeveloping struggling commercial and retail areas. Scheduled to begin operation in 2014, Central Florida's SunRail is no different. With Jacksonville's train still sitting in the station, Metro Jacksonville shares the community vision of redevelopment around Sunrail's phase one stations.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-oct-sunrail-redefining-orlando-

If_I_Loved_you

Re: Sunrail: Redefining Orlando
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
I enjoyed reading this very much and watching the video good job MetroJacksonville. :)

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
These are going to be the hot areas of Orlando real estate over the next decade.  They have defined their growth patterns and style not just leaving it to chance. 
Lenny Smash

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »
A good move, but we'll see how well it really works out. This is Orlando after all.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
So far so good.  Winter Park, downtown Orlando are already destinations and the two hospitals are major employment centers that can significantly increase their density because of the rail line.  I'm really excited to witness the transformation of Urban Orlando over the next five years.  Since the State owns the rail line, it would be nice if they considered adding a multi-use path along this corridor.  This would enhance connectivity to neighborhoods and destinations that may not be adjacent to rail stations.  Also, extending Sunrail to the airport and AAF would provide a major boost to ridership.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bridges

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
My jealousy! It burns!
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

Adam W

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:07:47 PM »
So far so good.  Winter Park, downtown Orlando are already destinations and the two hospitals are major employment centers that can significantly increase their density because of the rail line.  I'm really excited to witness the transformation of Urban Orlando over the next five years.  Since the State owns the rail line, it would be nice if they considered adding a multi-use path along this corridor.  This would enhance connectivity to neighborhoods and destinations that may not be adjacent to rail stations.  Also, extending Sunrail to the airport and AAF would provide a major boost to ridership.

What is a multi-use path?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
A paved path for bicycles and pedestrians.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam W

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
Thanks!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
Lenny Smash

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
Great article, so jealous that O-Town is once again getting the good stuff first!  However, I do have one question for Ock or Lake or any other of our knowledgeable rail people here ... I noticed reading the JTA report on Commuter Rail, it proposed rail headways at 30/60min for peak/off-peak service on all three lines and 15/30 on the northern enhanced line.  SunRail, which I would assume has a greater density and would have tourists to contribute to day rides is proposing 30/120 headways.  So are they not planning for tourists and grandma going to bingo or is JTA trying to get more than what we need?
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
I'm just getting back to Jax after attending the American Planning Association's statewide conference, which was held in Orlando.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to tour Sunrail construction sites.  The first phase of the 61-mile commuter rail line is scheduled to begin operations in May 2014.  Here are a few images from yesterday.

The existing Amtrak station in Winter Park is being rebuilt to accommodate both Amtrak and Sunrail.

Sunrail platforms under construction at the Orlando Amtrak Station, just south of downtown.

A glimpse of LYMMO BRT crossing tracks with Sunrail's Orlando Central Station's (downtown) platform under construction in the back ground.

Look hard and you can see an Amtrak train passing by on the tracks that Sunrail will run on.  Transfering between bus and rail should be pretty simple at this station.

The Church Street station platform under construction in downtown Orlando.

An Amtrak train passes through Sunrail's Florida Hospital Station.  Florida Hospital is one of the region's largest employers and they are in the middle of turning their entire campus into a mixed-use TOD district called "Health Village". 

Florida Hospital is building a new administration office tower at their station.  The first two floors will contain several shops and restaurants.  Across the street (yellow crane), construction has recently broken ground on a medical highrise.

Florida Hospital's station under construction with the downtown Orlando skyline in the background.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Don't get any ideas JTA ;).. but we toured the project on a bus wrapped to resemble a Sunrail train.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
Thanks for the images Lake.  I have some I need to share as well.

The station platforms are "no frills" and pretty simple.  Just the way we should be implementing our systems (if they ever happen)....

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »
...But it won't make money!