Author Topic: Appeal Filed Against Mellow Mushroom's Avondale Plans  (Read 30147 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Appeal Filed Against Mellow Mushroom's Avondale Plans
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »
Appeal Filed Against Mellow Mushroom's Avondale Plans

An appeal has been filed in response to the City of Jacksonville Planning Commission's decision to approve Mellow Mushroom's request to allow sale and service of alcoholic beverages and outside service in conjunction with their proposed 198-seat Avondale restaurant. We Love Avondale, LLC feels that their property rights will be detrimentally affected by Mellow Mushroom, due to the loss of the right of peaceable enjoyment of their properties, reduced property values due to traffic, parking, light, noise, and nuisance issues, public safety hazards, and stifling of existing businesses. Here is a look at the recently filed notice of appeal.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-oct-appeal-filed-against-mellow-mushrooms-avondale-plans

Adam W

Re: Appeal Filed Against Mellow Mushroom's Avondale Plans
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:28 AM »
You know, I could be wrong, but at the end of the day, I don't think this is about alcohol. I don't think this is about parking. I don't think this is about the building. I think this is simply that the uppity folks in Avondale (read: not everyone who lives in Avondale) don't think Mellow Mushroom is the "right kind" of restaurant or neighbor. It's not that they don't want a restaurant, it's that this corporate pizza chain is just not classy enough or chic enough. So they're doing what they can to try to keep them out.

It's really the only explanation that makes any sense. I have a suspicion that if this weren't an issue of a Mellow Mushroom, but rather an artisan bakery or a French brasserie or something, we wouldn't necessarily be hearing a lot of these objections. Even if they wanted to serve alcohol.

These elitist pricks are worried that Mellow Mushroom will bring the "wrong kind of people" to Avondale. And that's  just not on!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:22:27 AM by Adam W »

Timkin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:45:35 AM »
^ Even more reason for Mellow Mushroom to legally tell  them where they can stick it, and build the place anyway. 

Good ole Jacksonville.  A few control the masses and prevent this from being the City it should be.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:01:28 AM »
A few days ago, I had a conversation with someone that is part of WLA.  She was quoting the "nightclub until 2am" and "largest restaurant/bar in Avondale" points.  They also talked about people parking in front of driveways and loud patrons already present, and that MM would only make it worse.

Josh

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:26:59 AM »
It's really the only explanation that makes any sense. I have a suspicion that if this weren't an issue of a Mellow Mushroom, but rather an artisan bakery or a French brasserie or something, we wouldn't necessarily be hearing a lot of these objections. Even if they wanted to serve alcohol.

None of those examples provided would present any real competition to the existing Avondale restaurants represented by WLA, which is why they care. The fact that MM will be the first restaurant with a truly kid-friendly menu only adds to it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »
^Restaurants with kid-friendly menus aren't wanted?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ben says

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:02:31 AM »
You're right Adam.

I'm still pissed they're tearing down the gas station!!!
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

KEGreene1

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
Adam W hit the nail on the head.  If all the reasons they mentioned were really true, why are they not boycotting, picketing, working on getting the existing establishments out?  While I do want a kid friendly place, their continued use of lies and false pretentces have made me dig in even more.  The local residents chose to move into a neighborhood with the shoppes not the shoppes moved into the neighborhood.  Here are some real facts: MM will increase their home values, MM will create jobs, MM will increase customers to existing shops, MM is a kid friendly pizza place,  MM is locally owned by someone who lives less than a mile from the shoppes

johnnyman

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:21:58 AM »
They should put the Mellow Mushroom at the DT/SPR Armory and the homeless center in Avondale.  Problems solved, and everyone is happy.

TPC

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »
Really?!? WLA, more like WTF. I wonder if they realize they are polarizing many individuals who live in the area. With all of this negativity towards MM it makes me want to support them even more once they open up.

mbwright

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
I think the MM property owners need to put up no parking signs, and start towing immediately.  See where the customers of the other places have to park.  It is amazing the effort that is going against this project.  You would think the Doll House or strip club was going in.

jaxlore

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »
This is ridiculous. For all the "pro business" talk that comes out of these WLA guys, it just a bunch of bull. When it comes to bending the rules for their own personal reasons they're totally fine with it.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
From Yahoo Education
sti·fling    (stflng) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Very hot or stuffy almost to the point of being suffocating.
Being of such a character or nature as to engender a feeling of stultification, repression, or suffocation: "The scholarly correctness of our age can be stifling" (Annalyn Swan).

Josh

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
^Restaurants with kid-friendly menus aren't wanted?

No, but it does give MM a perceived advantage over certain existing restaurants; the same restaurants worried that if 7/11 was allowed to move into that lot, it would have stolen business away from them. If a $2 pre-made ham sandwich is thought to be competition, imagine what a pizza could do!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
Gotcha.  However, I don't know how an appeal on these issues would stop MM from opening, if that's the case.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali