Author Topic: Why I'm Supporting Mellow Mushroom in Avondale  (Read 32201 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Why I'm Supporting Mellow Mushroom in Avondale
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »
Why I'm Supporting Mellow Mushroom in Avondale

Riverside's Intuition Ale Works owner and Avondale resident, Ben Davis, shares reasons behind his support for a fellow Avondale resident being able to open a Mellow Mushroom restaurant on St. Johns Avenue and encourages others to do the same.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-sep-why-im-supporting-mellow-mushroom-in-avondale

johnny_simpatico

Re: Why I'm Supporting Mellow Mushroom in Avondale
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
I agree 100%.  The power of the NIMBY brigades from RAP, their puppet, Jim Love, and other pressure groups could have been offset by some leadership on the issue from the Brown administration.  For example, the specious arguments about parking and lack of access for emergency vehicles could have been addressed by (properly) restricting parking to one side of narrow streets and ticketing illegally parked vehicles.

Lucasjj

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:46:23 AM »
I have a board meeting at 6 that night that I have to attend, but I will come down and at least fill out a card. I have stayed out of this discussion, but have thouroughly read the threads regarding this. It is ridiculous that this has gone on this long and taken this much effort. The fact that an adaptive reuse was turned down by a preservation group really speaks to the absurdity of this situation.

We need to encourage infill in this city, we need to encourage reuse, and we need to encourage businesses that contribute to active streets and pedestrian friendly environments.

jaxjags

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
We need to support change. Without change there is no progress. Without progess there is no improvement.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
Well stated Ben. This really gives the lie to "Rowdy Pizza Crowd" fears.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

zedsdead

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
The problem is we have allowed the creation of an highly unattractive business environment in Riverside - one that is social (e.g. We Love Avondale, RAP) and legal (Councilman Love's ordinance). This will deter investors for YEARS to come. That means empty buildings, derelict lots, lower tax revenues and unemployed locals. It makes me sick.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
All Mellow wants is the same treatment that other restaurants are getting on the strip.  However, unlike those other restaurants, Mellow is trying to make the neighborhood better by considering alternative parking methods, green space, adaptive reuse, and general concern for the neighborhood's problems.  I hope Thursday night goes well and that the community shows up in force to support Mellow.

martybjaguars

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
It is nice to hear a clear, rational discussion of the facts. Thank you for voicing the understated opinion of the majority. Thank you, sir.

TallGirl

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
As a neighboring small business owner, I agree with zedsdead's comment.  This bullying will certainly deter future growth and development as well as make existing businesses, who are feeling bullied, reconsider renewing existing leases.  this will eventual lead to the demise of a great neighborhood.  I love Avondale and I love Mellow Mushroom, why can't we all love both?

zedsdead

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
^ Thanks  ;D Just for my information, why are EXISTING businesses in the Shoppes of Avondale feeling  bullied?

RockStar

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
I don't know. There's gotta be some conflict of interest here...I mean a beer guy supporting a pizza place? Sounds fishy... ;)

KEGreene1

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
Well said Ben. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Last night I had a dream about the planning commission meeting. Is that weird??

In my opinion, MM is more in direct competition with Ben's taproom than with bluefish.  On a friday or saturday night, I'm not going to drop $60 on a seafood dinner, but I would be deciding between grabbing a snack and some beers at MM or going to Intuition to play cornhole in the brewery bar.  For me personally, the two are more of substitutes for eachother than Blue fish is for either one.  There is a demographic that would feel the same way, but also there is a large group who will never go to the taproom at IAW, but they would choose between the two Avondale restaurants for their sunday dinner.  Also, I know that IAW distributes kegs to hundreds of restaurants in the area and that this doesn't represent their sole income stream, but last year their tap room operations were a significant portion of their total revenue.

All this is to say that Ben is supporting someone who is, at least in part, in competition with him.  Ben is doing this because he is confident in his own product so that he can put improving his neighborhood and his city above petty squabbles between competitors.  Thanks for what you do, Ben.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
from FB:

Friends and Neighbors,
There will be a meeting regarding the Mellow Mushroom In Avondale at 5pm City Hall in the Council Chambers. This meeting is the final vote for the project by the Jacksonville City Planning Commission. This meeting has been set for this project only so there will be no other items discussed. The planning commission staff will report to the commission their findings based on our request for an exception for outside sales and service of alcohol in Avondale. This is an exception every restaurant must apply for in order to sell liquor in Avondale.

We are not asking the city and or the commission for any special circumstances or deviations outside of the current laws and codes that were enacted during the time of our application. We have requested the exact number of seats that our parking will provide. Over the course of the last 5 months we have accepted and modified nearly every request provided by RAP and or the neighborhood organization [We Love Avondale LLC].

Last week we received our Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historical Commission related to exterior building design requirements. So this is the final meeting related to this project.
It has been our intent all along to manage this process in an honorable and amicable fashion. I am confident we have honored this commitment.

It is most unfortunate that the project now involves the demolition of the existing gas station. I was very excited about the opportunity to do an adaptive reuse project.

However, in support of those that requested we modify our plans we have chosen to do so instead of getting involved in a long legal battle.

I hope everyone that can attend will be able to speak in their support of me and the project. If not please feel free to fill out a green card provided in the chamber and notify the commission that you support a Mellow Mushroom in Avondale. If you would like to speak please feel free to contact Simon Keymer copied [just comment on this post and Simon will reach out to you] for more information. Also, if acceptable please forward on ["Share"] this message to anyone you know may be interested in attending the meeting.

Regards,

John Valentino
Owner Mellow Mushroom
Jacksonville, Florida
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

dougskiles

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
^Is that today?

The reason I ask is that the Context Sensitive Streets committee meets in Council Chambers at 4 pm.  If you are planning on coming to the Mellow Mushroom meeting, consider coming early to catch the discussion about Context Sensitive Streets (and an opportunity to express an opinion about the Mobility Plan).