Author Topic: Metros with the Highest Percentages of Underwater Homes  (Read 2692 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Metros with the Highest Percentages of Underwater Homes
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
Metros with the Highest Percentages of Underwater Homes

Nearly five years after the housing market crash, Zillow.com highlights the metropolitan areas with the highest and lowest percentage of homeowners who are "underwater."

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-aug-metros-with-the-highest-percentages-of-underwater-homes

dougskiles

Re: Metros with the Highest Percentages of Underwater Homes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
And the solution is... Let's build more highways to open more land for more underwater homes to be constructed.  And to accelerate that effort, make sure that we don't burden the developers with impact fees.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
Yeah, when discussing what and won't the mobility fee moratorium will do, this is the part of the issue that moratorium proponents continue to ignore.  Locally, we have an oversupply of the building product types that made several local developers rich over the last couple of decades. Simply cutting impact fees isn't going to stimulate a market where one doesn't exist.  However, it does pass the cost of the impact to the average taxpayer, who now has been asked to further subsidize unsustainable development practices at the expense of their own home values. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JFman00

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
Yeah, when discussing what and won't the mobility fee moratorium will do, this is the part of the issue that moratorium proponents continue to ignore.  Locally, we have an oversupply of the building product types that made several local developers rich over the last couple of decades. Simply cutting impact fees isn't going to stimulate a market where one doesn't exist.  However, it does pass the cost of the impact to the average taxpayer, who now has been asked to further subsidize unsustainable development practices at the expense of their own home values.

+1

peestandingup

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »
And the solution is... Let's build more highways to open more land for more underwater homes to be constructed.  And to accelerate that effort, make sure that we don't burden the developers with impact fees.

Which is why I honestly don't have high hopes for most of those places in the darker shades of blue. These maps say a lot more than just underwater homes. They're places that experienced unabated & artificial growth for decades. Sprawling messes with almost zero thought in how or even why they should be doing what they're doing. A very "fuck it" kind of attitude, where the main star of the show is development & keeping that whole racket going. Jax is a prime example of this, although they're def not the only ones.

Some will recover & turn it around, some won't. But I personally wouldn't want to stick it out in any of them. Areas that would do that regardless are probably not places that you'd wanna stake any claim in anyway. America has shown time & time again that its not very good at retracting this type of "boom growth". Building stuff is easy. Building with purpose & long term growth plans is where it gets tricky.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:20 AM »

OKLAHOMA CITY

DENVER

JACKSONVILLE

ANY QUESTIONS?

Investment in our infrastructure, primarily in the central core is the quickest way to create a demand. Returning to Jacksonville from Denver, OKC, Dallas or even Baton Rouge, is sort of like having been in a shopping mall full of your favorite stores, then returning home to find the home town unit is closed. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails!

Really, it is time for a downtown version in the form of 'BETTER JACKSONVILLE II,' extend the tax, invest and turn the core into a wonderland of family shopping, entertainment and attractions.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
Yeah and when Clay county says the Outer Beltway is going to boost their economy, it will:
be off the backs of Jacksonville
be short term growth with no substance
I would have to say that when it comes to smart planning- this city fails worse than most. 
All of the people who try to make a difference are marginalized. 
What I don't understand:  This is not good for the taxpayer either.  For a city that demands low taxes over EVERYTHING else- Where are these protesters to be found? 

kellypope

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
"You let a guy kick you 5 times, he's gonna kick you 5 times. You let him kick you 3 times, he's gonna kick you 3 times. You let him kick you twice, he's gonna kick you twice. You let him kick you once, he's gonna kick you once.

But if you cut off his foot, ain't gonna be anymore kicking."
Have you called Councilman Warren Jones to thank him for sponsoring the human rights bill? Do it now! Super quick and easy--plus, it feels better than leaving angry messages with bad guys. Call his office at (904) 630-1395

copperfiend

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
Nice top picture of Windsor Park in this article. The main reason I say that is because my parents' house can be seen in it. Sort of bizarre to see that when I bring up the site.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
^Sometimes we have to mix it up and display imagery of Jax outside of the urban core.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
I understand. It was just weird to bring up your site and see a picture of my parents' house on it.

rippley408

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
Ocklawaha: The equivalent picture offered of Jacksonville should be The Landing, but, then, forget it, point well taken.   I would have offered one of Berkman Plaza II.

mtraininjax

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
Only on MetroJax can you take any article and turn it into a debate on Fair Share and Road Fees, amazing!

What I find interesting about the map, besides the fact that most of the deep blue are in Sand States, NV, CA, FL, is that how well Texas has done, everyone talks about Texas as having good growth, stable growth, yet we are bumbling still with our governor. Can we trade Perry for our Executioner? He seems to be onto something good!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
Perry for Scott.  I would trade him for anyone!  Get him the hell out of here!

kellypope

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »
Answer: no.
Have you called Councilman Warren Jones to thank him for sponsoring the human rights bill? Do it now! Super quick and easy--plus, it feels better than leaving angry messages with bad guys. Call his office at (904) 630-1395