Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Knoxville  (Read 6272 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Knoxville
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:39 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Knoxville

Metro Jacksonville takes a visit to the downtown of one of southern Appalachia's largest cities: Knoxville

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-aug-elements-of-urbanism-knoxville

Adam W

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Knoxville
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »
From the photos, Knoxville looks really cute. The city center looks nice (and much more 'walkable' than that score would've led me to believe).

I always associated it with the 82 World's Fair. And that Simpsons episode.

TD*

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
I like Knoxville, though i havent been there ever, unless i went there as a kid and don't remember.

Maybe I will relocate there.

Adam W

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:31:53 AM »
I don't think you could pay me enough to live in Tennessee  :-\

fsquid

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »

why not?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
Knoxville is a neat place, close to the mountains which is nice. Eastern Tennessee has some beautiful terrain.

Adam W

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »

why not?

Because it's just a bit too "bible belt" for my taste. I know Jax has its faults in this area, but Tennessee is much worse (or better, depending on your particular outlook). I don't like that sort of thing, personally.

And as a Gator fan, I hate the damn Vols.

Adam W

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »
I will concede to fsujax's point, though: Tennessee does have some really great natural beauty.

TREE4309

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »
I would move to Knoxville in a second - it's beautiful, clean, quiet, and not as "bible-belt" as you may think.  Remember, this is a college town and UT is basically right downtown.  Not to mention the vibrant music and arts scenes - consider Asheville, NC as a basis of comparison in that regard.  Knoxville is a pretty "granola" town, actually.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »
I have thought about moving to Tennesee (no state tax) and not to far from Atlanta and Jax. Knoxville, I've been through there many times. Very neat and clean. This is not a bash on Jax but why does so many smaller cities have larger convention centers with attached hotels and we do not?

Adam W

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »
I would move to Knoxville in a second - it's beautiful, clean, quiet, and not as "bible-belt" as you may think.  Remember, this is a college town and UT is basically right downtown.  Not to mention the vibrant music and arts scenes - consider Asheville, NC as a basis of comparison in that regard.  Knoxville is a pretty "granola" town, actually.

Interesting. I will reserve judgment then.

I see what you're saying about Asheville - it's a bit of an oasis. I don't think I'd ever want to live in Asheville, but it certainly has its nicer attributes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
I have thought about moving to Tennesee (no state tax) and not to far from Atlanta and Jax. Knoxville, I've been through there many times. Very neat and clean. This is not a bash on Jax but why does so many smaller cities have larger convention centers with attached hotels and we do not?

^Bad implementation and long term planning in regards to downtown development.  We've spent just as much money or more than many of these smaller and similar sized places.  However, if it isn't coordinated and clustered together in a pedestrian scale setting with complementing uses (which it hasn't), all the money in the world doesn't really matter.  You won't end up with the desired results.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlowerPower

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
Here's something Knoxville has that Jacksonville, Florida doesn't:

Knoxville passed protections in April 2012 for Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity on a 9-0 vote. Their Mayor says, "In our city hall, it's OK to say gay."

In the clip below Knoxville, TN Mayor Madeline Rogero Tells A Pride Crowd ‘It’s Okay to Say Gay’.

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/knoxville-tn-mayor-tells-pride-crowd-its-okay-to-say-gay

This is very unlike Jacksonville's mayor who does verbal gymnastics to avoid saying the word "gay" under any circumstance. 

fsquid

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
Knoxville is pretty much a college town so it wouldn't surprise me that they passed it unanimously.  Most of the conservatives seem to live in Maryville if I remember correctly.

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Knoxville and Eastern TN are pretty cool places.  Chattanooga is in Eastern TN, too.  I think Knoxville has a good music scene, but I'm not totally sure as I haven't been up there for any concerts.  I think Quentin Tarantino is from Knoxville.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005