Author Topic: The Blind Fig restaurant takes root in Riverside (originally Salty Fig)  (Read 16412 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
In a truck-to-tables development, The Salty Fig restaurant is taking shape at 901 King St., at King and College streets in Riverside.

Executive Chef Jeff Stanford said Thursday the 151-seat restaurant should open in October to offer its “new American Southern food,” now popular with The Salty Fig food truck that travels to locations around town to set up and serve.

Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=537212
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:56:13 AM by stephendare »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Timkin

Re: The Salty Fig restaurant takes root in Riverside
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
Awesome.  Another great place to dine in Riverside :)

aaapolito

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »
This development, along with others (e.g. Pele's), is a testament to the fact that mobile vending is a good stepping stone towards more established small business.  Just another reason why this city should encourage mobile vendors because some of them will turn into successful brick and mortar businesses. 

Best of luck to the owners of Salty Fig.

Adam W

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:42:19 AM »
Great news! Good to see Riverside continuing to develop into Jacksonville's premier dining destination.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
I wonder if J.Love and his Special Sauciness is going to go all out warfare over 2 seats?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
Councilman Love sponsored a floor amendment for Salty Fig.. they are exempt from the bill that was passed a few weeks ago.

A floor amendment was not introduced for Mellow Mushroom, even though Mellow had requested the courtesy seeing as though they have been meeting with neighborhood groups in good faith about their PUD application.

This development, along with others (e.g. Pele's), is a testament to the fact that mobile vending is a good stepping stone towards more established small business.  Just another reason why this city should encourage mobile vendors because some of them will turn into successful brick and mortar businesses. 

100% agreed.   

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
So Councilman Love is pro-business sometimes ? That sounds fair.

Gators312

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
Councilman Love sponsored a floor amendment for Salty Fig.. they are exempt from the bill that was passed a few weeks ago.

A floor amendment was not introduced for Mellow Mushroom, even though Mellow had requested the courtesy seeing as though they have been meeting with neighborhood groups in good faith about their PUD application.

I guess the wrong lobbyist was used?

Has anyone asked Love why he supports one and not the other?

Adam W

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
Maybe he doesn't like pizza.

mtraininjax

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
Good to see Riverside continuing to develop into Jacksonville's premier dining destination.
Uh, yeah, ok...
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Adam W

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:12:43 PM »
Good to see Riverside continuing to develop into Jacksonville's premier dining destination.
Uh, yeah, ok...

Just curious (and I'm not disagreeing with you or picking a fight here) - if Riverside isn't Jacksonville's premier dining destination, what is? I admit I may have over-egged the custard there.

So, reconsidering my original statement, I think maybe Riverside is on its way to becoming the "premier dining destination". At least it would be if restaurants would stay open. I think it deserves credit for having a decent selection of non-chain restaurants in close proximity to one another:

Orsay, 13 Gypsies, Pele's, Mossfire, The Casbah, Carmines, Kickbacks... I'm sure I've missed a few. I realise some of those are not technically in Riverside, but close enough. It's also possible some of them may have closed down (is the Row still open?). But with that new Chew-related restaurant opening near Mossfire, I think things are looking pretty decent for Riverside/Avondale.

Aside from that, I can't think of an area that has as many restaurants - maybe the beaches. So as I said, fair enough, I probably went a bit overboard. At least I-10 East can be happy someone said something positive about Jacksonville on this forum  :P

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »
I think one can easily argue that it is a prime dining destination for locally owned restaurants.  It has a decent cluster that you won't find in most of Jax outside of the beaches and St. Augustine.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ben says

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
Went here last night. They did a fantastic job with the place. Looks beautiful...kind of a Black Sheep vibe. Great bar. I like that they're not trying to be something they clearly aren't...they know what they want to do and they're doing it well. The menu is well balanced and concise (lack of vegetarian options, but oh well...). It was the second day they were open and they definitely have some front of the house/back of the house communication issues, but other than that, really a great experience. Give them a few days (yes, that short) and they'll be another premiere dining spot in Jacksonville. Bravo
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

DDC

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
My friend and I were one of the first through the door Sunday. We had the privilege to be the first orders out of the kitchen.  ;D I had the Oyster and Bacon Sandwich and it was great.   A little pricey for me, but I will be back as funds permit.   8)
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

exnewsman

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »
Curious if JTA was to put in a night time trolley service in the Park/King area - where should it go? Has to serve a residential component but is that an Avondal crowd? Strictly a Riverside vibe? Downtown? What's the route you think would serve this area the best?